Lorex N882A6

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would anyone happen to know what the equivalent Dahua NVR is to the Lorex N882A6?
I attempted to contact Andy but he didn't seem to know. I've searched the forum and other sites but came up zero so far.

I'm contemplating purchasing a new Dahua NVR, but want to know for sure it's going to be an upgrade.
I could also try the blue iris route, but I'm not sure I'm up to that in terms of finding a computer to run it, etc...

Thanks for any help, info, tips, etc.. :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess the first question is why are you looking to upgrade?

At first glance, it has the same bandwidth as the Dahua NVR, so that is usually a strong indicator. Many Lorex NVRs are limited to 80 or 88Mbps and this one is 320Mbps.

You will find the look/feel/interface for Lorex and Dahua to be fairly similar, so if there is a particular issue you have with the Lorex interface, it is probably that way in the Dahua as well.

Regarding Blue Iris, almost any computer will work now if you use the substreams. By almost, I don't mean a NUC or laptop, even though some do run it fine on there.

If you can get a good deal on a 4th gen or have one laying around, go for it.

Or if you have a Windows computer, simply download BI and give it a try.

You can pull the video feeds right from your NVR into it.

In BI, you select add camera and put the IP address of the NVR into the IP address location. Put in username and password and hit find/inspect and let BI do its thing.

Then about halfway down is a pull down for Camera number and pick camera 1 and then hit ok. The camera should show up. Then add camera and the select copy and copy this camera and then change the number 1 to a 2 and repeat for your cameras.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am thinking of upgrading due to Lorex locking some features/settings out that are available with a OEM Dahua NVR.

Attempting to update the firmware from Lorex to Dahua is a possibility, but with a good chance of bricking things, not sure I'd go that route.

I'll take a peek at BI and browse around.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well if it is features you want that you know the Dahua has that Lorex doesn't that seems reason enough to update?

In recent years Lorex has hard-coded it to make it impossible to flash it with Dahua firmware. I guess they saw one too many people buying the cheaper version and then upgrading the firmware.

I knew within 30 minutes that BI was superior and haven't went back (although I still have a NVR running as well LOL just for redundancy until it dies).

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes. Just factoring costs. New Dahua NVR $400+ or renewed computer from a trusted source (which I'm trying to find and locate) could be $400+ to $1000 depending on setup etc..

I'm great at building computers etc... software side, including programming, has always frustrated me dating back to school. lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Flintstone61 will find you a used/renewed one cheaper LOL. No reason to spend $1k.

Heck if you have a 4th gen sitting around collecting dust it will make for a doable BI machine.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I have collecting dust anymore. I'll have to take a look at the parts bin.

BTW, do you happen to have a link explaining how you set up your NVR and your BI to co-exist?
Cameras to NVR POE ports and then a ethernet cable from NVR to your computer?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may have everything you need to put together a system. Do every optimization in the wiki and you can get by with an older system you have laying around.

There is no link to a guide, it is as simple as I mentioned above:

In BI, you select add camera and put the IP address of the NVR into the IP address location. Put in username and password and hit find/inspect and let BI do its thing.

Then about halfway down is a pull down for Camera number and pick camera 1 and then hit ok. The camera should show up. Then repeat this and then change the number 1 to a 2 and repeat for your cameras.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would anyone happen to know what the equivalent Dahua NVR is to the Lorex N882A6?
I attempted to contact Andy but he didn't seem to know. I've searched the forum and other sites but came up zero so far.

I'm contemplating purchasing a new Dahua NVR, but want to know for sure it's going to be an upgrade.
I could also try the blue iris route, but I'm not sure I'm up to that in terms of finding a computer to run it, etc...

Thanks for any help, info, tips, etc.. :)
Hi @Timokreon

Some have reported success flashing some models of Lorex NVRs which are Dahua OEM to the Dahua OEM firmware ..

Although I do think the idea of running a parallel Blue Iris system would be worth seeing how well BI works for you is a solid plan.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm trying to compare this with the Dahua again, and can't quite figure it out.
Anyone recognize what series this would be for the Dahua? Lorex states this is their "Pro" version.
Looking at the Dahua "pro" series, and things don't look anything like it.

If you're wondering, I'm trying to decide if a Dahua 5216-4kS2E would be a upgrade, sidegrade or downgrade.
Thanks for any help

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Before jumping into a new Lorex DVR, consider the BI route. I had a DVR and then loaded BI onto an old Windows XP computer (that was running other software too). I ran BI, but it maxed it out. I ultimately purchased a refurbed HP and installed BI on it. It nicely accepted the input from my Lorex. Unless your current NVR is old, it'll serve as a good front-end to BI, plus you'll get the BI functionality that surpasses your NVR, and likely the Dahua you're anticipating. BTW - the refurbed HP I purchased was <$300.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I was/am considering a BI computer, but that will need to wait a bit. I did pull the trigger on a new Dahua NVR which could be here this month, or maybe in May. I'll see how that works for awhile.

I'm planning on building a new computer within the next year, then use my old computer for the BI. With prices, inflation, and the economy going nuts right now.... yeah.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Received my new Dahua NVR 5216-16P-4KS2E today. Still setting everything up, but boy... SOOOO much better than the Lorex NVR. Real shame I didn't find this forum before I bought the Lorex stuff, but... it is what it is. Learn and move on.
Thanks @EMPIRETECANDY for the NVR, cameras, and being a great guy for everything.

One question, I see Dahua has DH_NVR5XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V4.002.0000000.3.R.220322 on their web site. Anything new worth while to upgrade? This NVR came with 8/27/21 firmware.
Thanks everyone!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Received my new Dahua NVR 5216-16P-4KS2E today. Still setting everything up, but boy... SOOOO much better than the Lorex NVR. Real shame I didn't find this forum before I bought the Lorex stuff, but... it is what it is. Learn and move on.
Thanks @EMPIRETECANDY for the NVR, cameras, and being a great guy for everything.

One question, I see Dahua has DH_NVR5XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V4.002.0000000.3.R.220322 on their web site. Anything new worth while to upgrade? This NVR came with 8/27/21 firmware.
Thanks everyone!
Yeap, can make a update.