Lorex NV842 Help!!!!!!

Reaction score
Hello friends, I spent 5 hours trying to troubleshoot why I cannot get my Lorex Cloud app on my phone to work with the NV842 DVR! I've also tried to use Tinycam and various other apps and none of them can detect my DVR . Lorex has really embarrassed me this time. They advertised that their NVR would work without internet and low and behold, my customers looking at me like an idiot! Anyways, so this is the situation, I have an archer c3150 router connected to the NV842 DVR, but it is not connected to the internet. I've tried port forwarding 35000/35001, I can't connect to the godam DVR. When I use Tinycam, it does see the NVR but it doesn't recognize or see it as a NVR! Any ideas here guys?

Coachtech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need internet to view on phone and to control NVR, I dont think you understand when they say with or with out. here is what they say on there website.
With or without the internet
This NVR can be used without being connected to the internet. This means that your data can only be accessed directly from your NVR. However, an internet connection is required to enable remote viewing, motion push notifications, and to download the latest firmware updates.
If your away from house how are you going to see it on phone with no internet?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One would think with the word cloud in the app name implies that Internet is needed...

Since Lorex is Dahua OEM try the DMSS family of apps.

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you trying to connect to it via P2P or by using it's ip address? If you want to view it off site, you need to use P2P or use a VPN. You shouldn't need to port forward anything. In fact, I would advise against doing so.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys!! Gonns try all your recommendations!
Hmm as strange as it sounds like, we don't want the nvr connected to the internet nor do we want remote monitoring. So I just set up a router connected to the dvr so I can monitor with my phone while I'm site!

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm as strange as it sounds like, we don't want the nvr connected to the internet nor do we want remote monitoring. So I just set up a router connected to the dvr so I can monitor with my phone while I'm site!
In that case, no port forwarding is needed. Any phone connected to the same network as the recorder can connect to it using it's ip address.

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does lorex have another App that doesnt say Cloud? Like Home Connect or something?
There is Lorex Cloud and Lorex Home. Lorex Cloud is very similar to DMSS. Maybe this recorder needs Lorex Home though. When I Google NV842, nothing matches that search. I wonder if it's actually the N842. In which case, Lorex Home would be the correct app.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @mistersponge

1) No internet connection
2) NVR connects to a WiFi router

No port forwarding is needed on the router ( as @Jayordon notes )

On your mobile device / laptop .. you should be able to view the NVRs feed ..
1) Connect to the WiFi
2) Ping / Traceroute to the router
3) Ping / Traceroute to the NVR

If successful look for the appropriate software to connect .. as I do not use Lorex Apps not certain about their software.
( tinycam is liked by many Android users .. Dahua has a mobile app which could be useful .. )

Reaction score
Hello guys, sorry for all the confusion and thanks for all the help! I think I'm hooped here. It is a n842 lorex dvr. I re-read there website and manuals. It says i have to have internet connection to use the mobile app. Thanks for trying to help though guys!