Lorex NVR model # confusion

925Trader

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased an NR9082 from Amazon last week. I have it up and running but trying to dial a few things in. After getting it online the lorex site thinks that based on the device ID that this is a LNR608. My question is are these the same units? The nameplate on the NVR itself reads NR908-N so im assuming this is in fact a NR900 series NVR.

Im looking for more camera options as I only bought 2 from Lorex, LNB8921 4k bullets. like to do some research on which manufactures will work with this NVR since the options from Lorex are pretty slim. Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased an NR9082 from Amazon last week. I have it up and running but trying to dial a few things in. After getting it online the lorex site thinks that based on the device ID that this is a LNR608. My question is are these the same units? The nameplate on the NVR itself reads NR908-N so im assuming this is in fact a NR900 series NVR.

Im looking for more camera options as I only bought 2 from Lorex, LNB8921 4k bullets. like to do some research on which manufactures will work with this NVR since the options from Lorex are pretty slim. Thanks.
Hi 925Trader,

Hope you did not pay the Lorex list price on those bullets - IF you did and you still can return them - then please do so.

The NVR I believe is a Dahua OEM NVR5216-16P-4KS2 w/modifications - nice front plate - and the firmware has probably stripped off the Dahua OEM IVS features.

MixManSC was able to reflash his Lorex to the Dahua OEM firmware - you maybe able to find his instructions here if you look for them.

Dahua OEM products will work with the Lorex NVR - however w/o the IVS features.

You will have to modify and sync the ip, user/password, and port info between the cameras and nvr.

Andy ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) is a good source for Dahua OEM products.

925Trader

n3wb
Reaction score
i actually got them off Amazon which were considerably cheaper than from Lorex direct. Id like to get a camera that will work with this NVR that will effectively be able to get licence plate numbers from 70' or so away. I live on a corner so being able to focus a cam on that intersection would be nice. From my limited research thus far it seems that may be a pricey endeavor.

I must say I was a little surprised at how crappy the images are when you try and zoom in on anything from recorded video from these cameras. Cameras are all but useless without being able to get plate numbers or clear images of peoples faces. The lack of users manual with the NVR dosent help either...but thats why Im here. Lots of things to learn on my end.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i actually got them off Amazon which were considerably cheaper than from Lorex direct. Id like to get a camera that will work with this NVR that will effectively be able to get licence plate numbers from 70' or so away. I live on a corner so being able to focus a cam on that intersection would be nice. From my limited research thus far it seems that may be a pricey endeavor.

I must say I was a little surprised at how crappy the images are when you try and zoom in on anything from recorded video from these cameras. Cameras are all but useless without being able to get plate numbers or clear images of peoples faces. The lack of users manual with the NVR dosent help either...but thats why Im here. Lots of things to learn on my end.
Hi @925Trader

Welcome to the battle we've all had to deal with - resetting our expectations of what security cameras are capable of from the completely distorted Hollywood portrayals in film and TV.

Reality is significantly different than what I even imagined knowing that Hollywood was distorting my perceptions. Don't worry, it will take some time - but you can overcome and find a solution, and yes - expect to spend about $200+/- or more for the camera that will be able to do what you're planning - and expect to custom tune it if you need license plates at night.

Also do take a look at @cnitty76 for sale thread on some nice 8MP bullets which will work with that NVR ( while the bullets are spec'ed for IVS - the NVR with Lorex firmware has IVS features stripped out ) He is selling them for significantly cheaper than Lorex direct.
WTS New 4K cameras by Lechange / Dahua

925Trader

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @925Trader

Welcome to the battle we've all had to deal with - resetting our expectations of what security cameras are capable of from the completely distorted Hollywood portrayals in film and TV.

Reality is significantly different than what I even imagined knowing that Hollywood was distorting my perceptions. Don't worry, it will take some time - but you can overcome and find a solution, and yes - expect to spend about $200+/- or more for the camera that will be able to do what you're planning - and expect to custom tune it if you need license plates at night.

$200+/-...where are they? I'll buy 2 right now...lol. Seriously, can you point me to a camera that would be able to read a plate from ~75' out? I guess I just dont know what to look for as far as features go.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
$200+/-...where are they? I'll buy 2 right now...lol. Seriously, can you point me to a camera that would be able to read a plate from ~75' out? I guess I just dont know what to look for as far as features go.
Hi 925Trader,

Please Look at the vendor section, look at the LPR section.

Look at the posts for the IPC-HFW52xx-Z12 camera and check to see if that fits the requirements ( Z12 = killer zoom )

Other option for a bit more at PTZ cameras.. look at the 2MP starlight models.