Lorex NVR to fit EmpireTech PTZ

Reaction score
Recently ordered a EmpireTech PTZ2M-4X 1/2.8" CMOS 2MP 4x Starlight 2.8mm–12mm Vari-focal PTZ Camera. I have used other Dahua branded cameras successfully with a Lorex NVR but was told not all Lorex NVR's play nice. Anyone have any suggestions was Lorex NVR will work with these cameras? I would like to stick with the Lorex App for the time being as I have another property also using a Lorex/Dahua setup. Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Recently ordered a EmpireTech PTZ2M-4X 1/2.8" CMOS 2MP 4x Starlight 2.8mm–12mm Vari-focal PTZ Camera. I have used other Dahua branded cameras successfully with a Lorex NVR but was told not all Lorex NVR's play nice. Anyone have any suggestions was Lorex NVR will work with these cameras? I would like to stick with the Lorex App for the time being as I have another property also using a Lorex/Dahua setup. Thanks

Hi @Usafexplorer

"was told not all Lorex NVR's play nice"

Lorex, not all of their NVRs are Dahua OEM iirc, and even if they are Dahua OEM : Both Dahua and Hikvision have multiple levels of features and differentiations in their NVRs line up. As Lorex OEMs Dahua the most, there will at least be some basic level of compatibility with most Dahua OEM cameras, - the big question typically is on the higher tier / smart / AI features.

So the question, WHY do you want a Lorex NVR instead of getting a Dahua OEM NVR without the Lorex rebranding ? Do you already have a Lorex NVR? or are you planning to buy one ?

Reaction score
Hi @Usafexplorer

"was told not all Lorex NVR's play nice"

Lorex, not all of their NVRs are Dahua OEM iirc, and even if they are Dahua OEM : Both Dahua and Hikvision have multiple levels of features and differentiations in their NVRs line up. As Lorex OEMs Dahua the most, there will at least be some basic level of compatibility with most Dahua OEM cameras, - the big question typically is on the higher tier / smart / AI features.

So the question, WHY do you want a Lorex NVR instead of getting a Dahua OEM NVR without the Lorex rebranding ? Do you already have a Lorex NVR? or are you planning to buy one ?
I already have a Lorex NVR at another property and would prefer to use the Lorex App, if possible. Just comfortable with what I know, not opposed to using an OEM Dahua NVR if that ends up being the solution.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I already have a Lorex NVR at another property and would prefer to use the Lorex App, if possible. Just comfortable with what I know, not opposed to using an OEM Dahua NVR if that ends up being the solution.
Perhaps someone with more experience with the Lorex app can chime in, or with the mobile Dahua App.

A few notes,

iirc Lorex App should basically be the Dahua OEM version with Lorex branding .. the current app on your mobile may also work on Dahua OEM NVRs, I would expect there to be some challenges getting it setup if you are currently using Lorex "cloud" services somehow to connect remotely, or locally.

Lorex seems to charge a lot imho for stand alone Lorex NVRs .. during Black Friday season they have some nice sales on some of their kits, unfortunately most of the cameras in their kits now are smaller sensor models.

Lorex NVRs bundled in the kits, did not seem to be the higher level NVRs last I checked. They used to included the higher end NVRs in some kits previously.

Lorex firmware even on the small hardware may not have all the features that the Dahua OEM NVRs have.