Lorex nvr with dedicated LPR camera

Bccornut

n3wb
Reaction score
ive got a 9082nvr from Lorex right now with six cameras up around my barn. I’m wanting to add a dedicated lot camera, does anyone have experience with what camera to use with the Lorex nvr? I was told as long as it’s omnivf compatible it will work, but I’m skeptical and want to as a few pros. Thanks for the time and advice

Reaction score
Since many Lorex cameras and NVRs are rebranded versions of Dahua equipment, you could probably get good results with a Dahua Starlight camera.

Bccornut

n3wb
Reaction score
There’s great light there to see everything detail of car I just don’t want to buy a camera that won’t get plate. I’ll look at starlight cameras

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ive got a 9082nvr from Lorex right now with six cameras up around my barn. I’m wanting to add a dedicated lot camera, does anyone have experience with what camera to use with the Lorex nvr? I was told as long as it’s omnivf compatible it will work, but I’m skeptical and want to as a few pros. Thanks for the time and advice
Welcome @Brandon Cornett

This Lorex NVR iirc is a Dahua OEM product w/o the IVS features. With a little configuration effort of setting up the appropriate IP / port and syncing the user / password you can get it to work with one of the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight cameras we really like. ( as @wtimothyholman notes )
4K Ultra HD 8 Channel Security NVR, 2TB Hard Drive, Cloud Storage, POE, Records 4K (4 x 1080p) at 30FPS, Onvif compliant with Audio Recording

Bccornut

n3wb
Reaction score
So is there a particular dahua camera model everyone recommends? It’s going to be mounted about 14ft in the air and focused on entrance of property. Is everyone still in agreement on the Z12E model? Or has something newer come out?

Bccornut

n3wb
Reaction score
About 175’, but once vehicle turns into property they are driving straight towards camera

Bccornut

n3wb
Reaction score
So playing with IPVM its actually 228 ft to entrance, im attaching two photos to see what ya'lls thoughts are. Its essentially a one way in one way out scenario. this is with the z12e camera, and just so you don't have to scroll up for furthur reference its mounted 14ft in the air, do yall see a better option for install? 90ft camera.JPG camera setup.JPG

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You can't mount it on the corner of the bldg closest to the capture point?

You'll probably be ok at 228ft with the Z12 but it will be nearing its useful distance for LPR

Bccornut

n3wb
Reaction score
I could but I’m worried about angle and the fact they would only be in fov for a little bit, I may play with that when I get home, 20mph is about the fastest you could safely come in here most of the time it’s 15mph or less.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Typically you're capture point is a small area. Agreed the closer to straight-on the better, but distance matters as well and the Z12 doesnt like to maintain focus past about 80-85% zoom..

Z12 @120 ft at about 25-30 degree angle- cars travel about 20-25mph

Attachments

Reaction score
You'll probably be ok at 228ft with the Z12 but it will be nearing its useful distance for LPR
As an alternative, @Brandon Cornett may want to consider an SD49225T-HN in place of the Z12E. The extra zoom, plus the ability to adjust the angle and direction of the camera with greater ease, would make it worth the extra cost for reliable LPR.

Another thing to consider is IR illumination at that long a distance. An IR lamp mounted close to the entrance would probably be helpful in that regard.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree on the added IR for sure. I use the Tendelux 200ft BI18 for my 120 ft cameras. I find if I cut manufacturer IR distance in 1/2 it’s closer to real useable distance

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm with BigRedFish. can you put the cam at the closer side of teh building to the entrance?
you'll still have a workable angle, i think...
40356965963_d81a16b5ac_o.jpg

Bccornut

n3wb
Reaction score
the north end of the barn is completely do-able, which allows me to get a little down the road as well and puts it about 120ft from entrance. I like the PTZ but just feel like that may be too much and be under utilized. everywhere in between and on the edge of little barn is illuminated extremely well as the big doors have great LED's, eventually I plan on adding nvr and more cameras to little barn for more angles. But that would be a year from now at least. Angle doesn't look too bad. north barn.JPG

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score