Lorex package from costco

SP2150

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I currently have a Lorex 292 series that I bought from costco about three years ago. It's a 480 two camera system with monitor and SD card. It works fair but it's time to upgrade. I was thinking of going with GW with 4 dome 5MP cameras but after reading some post here I learned that might not be the best idea. I like the idea of going through costco if possible but it's not a necessity. I'm now looking at the 1080 Lorex package from costco that comes with 2 bullet and 2 PTZ dome cameras along with a 2TB HDD.
http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-2TB-HDD,-2-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision-and-2-1080p-Pan-Tilt-Cameras-.product.100226688.html
I live in a 30' X 55' rambler and I have a iPhone and IMac if that has any bearing. Is there anything about this system that would make it a bad choice for me? I'm new to the IP cameras but I have a friend that could help me with setup. I have no problem spending $1000 but keeping the system fairly simple would be nice.

Thanks, I've learned lots already with about 1 hr of reading posts.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, I currently have a Lorex 292 series that I bought from costco about three years ago. It's a 480 two camera system with monitor and SD card. It works fair but it's time to upgrade. I was thinking of going with GW with 4 dome 5MP cameras but after reading some post here I learned that might not be the best idea. I like the idea of going through costco if possible but it's not a necessity. I'm now looking at the 1080 Lorex package from costco that comes with 2 bullet and 2 PTZ dome cameras along with a 2TB HDD.
http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-2TB-HDD,-2-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision-and-2-1080p-Pan-Tilt-Cameras-.product.100226688.html
I live in a 30' X 55' rambler and I have a iPhone and IMac if that has any bearing. Is there anything about this system that would make it a bad choice for me? I'm new to the IP cameras but I have a friend that could help me with setup. I have no problem spending $1000 but keeping the system fairly simple would be nice.

Thanks, I've learned lots already with about 1 hr of reading posts.
That system is good (rebranded dahua) but its priced high for only 4 cams. Also note that the mini domes do not have IR and and I believe cannot see ir (no ir cut filter). Not an issue if you have decent lighting. Costco is a good choice, the systems go on sale all the time.

SP2150

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Yea the domes are said to just need little light. How would the picture be if it was aimed in the direction of a porch light, say 20' away? Wondering if that would be too much light.
The costco site says they use "FLIR Cloud™ connectivity". I don't think they're ONVIF compliant but I don't know if that matters or not, unless I want to add additional cameras from another company. i like the idea of having two bullets and two domes and the audio from the domes too. If I don't go with Costco are there any systems in the same price range that you would recommend?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Please note that the dome cameras do not have zoom, only pan and tilt.
Costco does have sales all the time.

Jim

SP2150

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I missed that. What are you thoughts on these non IR domes for moderate darkness. I have a 13Watt porch light and there is a led street light across the street. Do you know the Dahua equivalent, if there is one?

thanks

D!ngo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was like you about a month ago, looking to get an all-in-one system at Costco or Amazon. Costco is very good with these packages and if don't want any changes with what they come with then it's good.

However, if you want to 'tweak' your setup with different cameras such as MP and lens sizes, add more cameras, etc., I would suggest you contact a member here named milkisbad for a catalog. His prices are about the same as, if not cheaper than, Costco's and he'll answer any questions you have. You can piece out similar cameras and NVR to see if it's cheaper. Doesn't hurt to ask. I almost pulled the trigger on a system from Amazon until @fenderman and others told otherwise. I'm glad I took their advise. I am in the process of ordering a 16 cam system from him with different style cameras to fit my needs and I can tell you that it will be less than Costco's all-in-one.

Regarding that Lorex you mentioned, if you can wait I think they'll have a sale every now and then. Hope that helps.

SP2150

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Dingo, great information. This can get confusing dealing with compatibility issues for a non tech guy. Not sure if Lorex has to use "Flir" or if other apps will work. After viewing a youtube vid last night I now understand why Hikvision and Dahua are sub forums. I'll contact milkisbad and see what he has to say.

steve

D!ngo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Dingo, great information. This can get confusing dealing with compatibility issues for a non tech guy. Not sure if Lorex has to use "Flir" or if other apps will work. After viewing a youtube vid last night I now understand why Hikvision and Dahua are sub forums. I'll contact milkisbad and see what he has to say.

steve
As long as you stick to the same manufacturer as the NVR, all the cameras should work and if you don't over tax the NVR or an older model NVR for the newer higher MP cam. Also, try to stick to US models unless you know what you're doing with updating/flashing software.

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
General info on zoom. This info is for the for the Lorex LHV828 ( not IP system) which is the $499 8 channel Costco system. $7.00 lenses.

$7.00 lenses
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q8IHKE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00
No need for another camera now. The lenses I picked worked for 80 to 100 ft ID! I got mine from Amazon for < $7 each. Here are their general specs;
IR board lens Product Name: CCTV Lens; Image Format: 1/3"
Mount: 12 * 0.5mm; Focus Length: 16mm, 12mm Aperture: F2.0; Angle of View: 21 Angle Dimension: 14 x 13.4mm(H*D); Color: Black

With 16mm it gives about a 4x zoom on this system and camera. It could read a license plate in daylight at 100 ft and a person filled half of the screen height. Just remove the glue with a drop of carb cleaner, screw out the old lens and screw in the new one until you get focus. I also ordered 12mm and 25mm to experiment more. That 12*.05mm thread is a key requirement.
Update: Received 25mm. It works well to about 150 ft but is 1/8" too long for the lens cover to attach. We will seal it somehow for that muchzoom. At 100 ft I can now read the state on license plates! pick a size from stock 3.6 to 16 with no modification.

Attachments