Lorex System. Can I use other branded camera's?

mripman

n3wb
Reaction score
I posted a while ago about my Lorex system. I didn’t know you can use NON Lorex cameras with Lorex NVR‘s?? My NVR model is N882A6. How do I know what other branded security cameras I can use with my NVR? I would love to be able to buy different branded camera’s, I just need to understand this. Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Best practice is to match brand of camera with NVR.

With that said, Lorex at that time would be made by Dahua, so any Dahua OEM (Amcrest, EmpireTech, Loryta, etc.) will work with it.

Outside of Dahua OEM cameras, then look for cameras that state ONVIF compliant - but keep in mind that may only guarantee that you could get the video feed, but additional features might not work.

Stay away from any camera that says it is cloud based, so Ring, Nest, Arlo, Blink, Wyze, etc.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I posted a while ago about my Lorex system. I didn’t know you can use NON Lorex cameras with Lorex NVR‘s?? My NVR model is N882A6. How do I know what other branded security cameras I can use with my NVR? I would love to be able to buy different branded camera’s, I just need to understand this. Thank you
Hi @mripman,

definitely looks like a Dahua OEM model .. should work well with other Dahua OEM cameras ( see what @wittaj posted ) .. may need to setup and sync ip address / user and password on another Dahua OEM camera .. sometimes we get lucky and get a plug and play setup on the PoE ports. Normally I expect to need to do a bit to config the IP on the camera and sync the user and password info.

1701141017387.png
1701141052906.png

shows Dahua OEM cameras that Lorex rebranded as compatible ..
1701141116106.png

Attachments

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a Lorex system and as long as the cameras you want to attach are ONVIF compliant then you shouldn't have any problems connecting to the Lorex NVR.

mripman

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Lorex system and as long as the cameras you want to attach are ONVIF compliant then you shouldn't have any problems connecting to the Lorex NVR.
Do you use other dahua oem cameras in your Lorex systems? If so, are you getting all the full features?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you use other dahua oem cameras in your Lorex systems? If so, are you getting all the full features?
NVR tech / features / tier .. needs to match the cameras to get pass throughs from the camera's API to the NVR .. and visa versa .. this is why you want to match the OEM of the NVR and Cameras as well as the tech / tier / features supported.

In general, Dahua and Hikvision are constantly updating their features .. and thus unless you're updating your NVR frequently, sooner later a camera you buy will have features not supported by the NVR.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No....I added a Sunba P636 V2 PTZ camera without any issues. The Sunba specific feature configuration has to be done through it's webpage and not the NVR, but that is common across the board. The Lorex cameras are just rebranded Dahua models.