Lorex vs Blue Iris ?

GaBuddy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello from a newbie!
Been reading the site for a while and kind of have a game plan for what I want just not sure which way to go.

Commercial building with cameras inside an out mainly vacant during the day open of an evening and vacant at night.
Most camera will be set for motion, a couple will record all the time.
I have a Lorex LNR300 9 camera HD IP system at home that I installed myself so I am familiar with Lorex.
Would like to know your thoughts on the two options below.

Lorex LNR400 16 channel 16 camera system HD IP 3mp

or

Blue Iris system
PC I7 4th gen 8GB Ram 1-2 TB hard drive 2-4 TB storage drive.
Router and switch (taking suggestions)
16 Hikvision DS-2CD2332I

Thanks in advance.
Buddy

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@GaBuddy, welcome to the forum. See this thread http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3379-Computer-versus-NVR
Keep in mind that 16 cameras times 3mp =48mp which is a very heavy load for blue iris..you will need a haswell i7 at the least.

Note that the LNR400 is a Dahua based system while the 300 is a hikvision system so the menus/setup will probably be different.
If you go with an NVR, this system is on sale http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-8-4MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100213199.html
Its a dahua based 4mp system.

Last edited by a moderator:

GaBuddy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman

Would the Dahua labeled cameras work on the LNR400 or would I be stuck with Lorex cameras only?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman

Would the Dahua labeled cameras work on the LNR400 or would I be stuck with Lorex cameras only?
There is only one way to find out :)...there is a good chance they will but you never know..FLIR (they own lorex) is another brand that rebrands dahua so their cams might work as well.