Lorex W462AQC Series pan/tilt camera

dodge55

n3wb
Reaction score
I just got one of these after many years with some fixed LNC series cameras (still using to monitor my dogs). I use the old Lorex-Ping software to view the camera remotely from work. I installed the pan/tilt and got the app software working on my phone and tablet. I called Lorex support and asked how to get working with remote software on my computer at work. They said not compatible. Very annoying. So, what is different from the old LNC series to this new W462 series that they decided not to allow remote monitoring from a computer?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - Camera in question

1654621073870.png

1654621107350.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lorex is designed to be consumer friendly and easy to use. As such, they are selling cameras that are app based only since the majority of their users probably don't have a computer LOL. And it takes one less thing (a big one) out of the customer hotline troubleshooting. Way too many variables with a PC - is it MAC or WIN, what browser, etc. An app is an app.

dodge55

n3wb
Reaction score
Lorex is designed to be consumer friendly and easy to use. As such, they are selling cameras that are app based only since the majority of their users probably don't have a computer LOL. And it takes one less thing (a big one) out of the customer hotline troubleshooting. Way too many variables with a PC - is it MAC or WIN, what browser, etc. An app is an app.
Yeah, I expected that answer. Makes some sense. Not what I wanted to hear, though. :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Because that would then add more complexity to the firmware and more troubleshooting issues for the hotline - what computer are your on, what version of Windows, what browser are you using, etc. It just adds too much complexity to a non-computer person to try to troubleshoot when calling an 800 number.

And Lorex is Dahua OEM, so their firmware is centered around Internet Explorer, and many people do not want to use it or depending on their device, may not even have access to it.

That doesn't make it right, but the camera manufactures that cater to the general public try to dumb it down to the least common denominator, and an app and scan a QR code is about as easy as it gets, yet the 800 number is constantly called with people that cannot even do that right LOL.

I guess they figure if you want access via a browser, you would probably skip the consumer grade and go straight to a Dahua cam LOL.

dodge55

n3wb
Reaction score
Because that would then add more complexity to the firmware and more troubleshooting issues for the hotline - what computer are your on, what version of Windows, what browser are you using, etc. It just adds too much complexity to a non-computer person to try to troubleshoot when calling an 800 number.

And Lorex is Dahua OEM, so their firmware is centered around Internet Explorer, and many people do not want to use it or depending on their device, may not even have access to it.

That doesn't make it right, but the camera manufactures that cater to the general public try to dumb it down to the least common denominator, and an app and scan a QR code is about as easy as it gets, yet the 800 number is constantly called with people that cannot even do that right LOL.

I guess they figure if you want access via a browser, you would probably skip the consumer grade and go straight to a Dahua cam LOL.

Yeah. I get it. The installation was actually a snap.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I expected that answer. Makes some sense. Not what I wanted to hear, though. :)
Hi @dodge55

The camera has a RJ45 port .. so who knows, there could be more you can do with it .. I was looking for a spec sheet to see if it supports rtsp .. see if you can find the spec sheet and share the info.

If you can get a rtsp stream out, there is hope for 3rd party applications .. if not, then you have to use the Lorex app provided for the camera.

I don't know too much about that model camera . so a lot is new to me on it .. tho it does remind me of the Amcrest cameras many member here like ..