Losing Weight

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There's a reason swimming pools are the go-to for the elderly. It really is the perfect exercise because it engages the whole body, and there's no falls. If I could swim laps, I'd probably be capable of anything.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
As odd as this may sound... Try Roller blades or roller skating. It has less impact on your joints than walking and the only issue is if you fall is the only impact. It gets your hearth rate up so it has cardio benefits too and most of it it help you maintain your balance too.
Just tonight my watch showed me I burned 2,135 calories in two hours and my heart rate was avg 135 and a max of 183 bpm

View attachment 127503
Congrats on having that big of weight loss.

Do not recommend falling on the asphalt. You could break a bone, like a hip bone. I have a slightly older friend that took skateboarding back up in his 60s. Bad call. He was doing fine for a few months. But one day while pushing off to get going his skateboard hit a small pebble, which stopped his skateboard in its tracks, and he went down hard on his hip and broke it. It took two years before he was able to get out on a surfboard again, but has had trouble getting to his feet from the prone postion ever since and has taken up kneeboarding instead. At least he is still getting out there.

My recommendation is trying to incorporate swimming laps. Or SUP'ing. Stand Up Paddleboarding.

Or possibly bicycle, if you can find bike trails near by and stay off the roads where you might get hit by a car.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Congrats on having that big of weight loss.

Do not recommend falling on the asphalt. You could break a bone, like a hip bone. I have a slightly older friend that took skateboarding back up in his 60s. Bad call. He was doing fine for a few months. But one day while pushing off to get going his skateboard hit a small pebble, which stopped his skateboard in its tracks, and he went down hard on his hip and broke it. It took two years before he was able to get out on a surfboard again, but has had trouble getting to his feet from the prone postion ever since and has taken up kneeboarding instead. At least he is still getting out there.

My recommendation is trying to incorporate swimming laps. Or SUP'ing. Stand Up Paddleboarding.

Or possibly bicycle, if you can find bike trails near by and stay off the roads where you might get hit by a car.
It wasn't me what did the weight loss that was SJGUSMC21 post.

Skateboarding is not like roller skating. And I would not attempt to skateboard now. I only indoor skate where the floor is wood and is much better than asphalt. There are too many cracks, raised concrete slabs and trash when you are outside Plus my hood doesn't have sidewalks at all. Too rural. Even biking is dangerous in these parts, sadly too many people end up as hood ornaments.

Now surfing is an good sport as well and I do miss it since I moved away from the beach to the mountains. I miss going Dawn Patrol..

Like you said the biggest part is going out and doing it, whatever it is... just keep moving.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
It wasn't me what did the weight loss that was SJGUSMC21 post.

Skateboarding is not like roller skating. And I would not attempt to skateboard now. I only indoor skate where the floor is wood and is much better than asphalt. There are too many cracks, raised concrete slabs and trash when you are outside Plus my hood doesn't have sidewalks at all. Too rural. Even biking is dangerous in these parts, sadly too many people end up as hood ornaments.

Now surfing is an good sport as well and I do miss it since I moved away from the beach to the mountains. I miss going Dawn Patrol..

Like you said the biggest part is going out and doing it, whatever it is... just keep moving.
Yes, sorry for the confusion. I knew it was not you. The congrats was directed at SJGUSMC21.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I recently found the pleasure of a Schwinn Airdyne stationary bike, gives a great aerobic work out, with very small chance of falls :cool: and it's very easy on the joints.
Can really get the heart pumping.
And you can watch TV or listen to an Audio Book or something. I think as you get older a stationary bike is a great idea.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
hip joints have the highest customer satisfaction rating of any elective surgery.
I would have thought the winner was cataract replacement. There's probably a way to warp the statistics to get either outcome. I know one person who had a serious complication from hip replacement, and another from cataract replacement.

Try Roller blades or roller skating. It has less impact on your joints than walking and the only issue is if you fall is the only impact.
Roller skating had quite an impact on one of my wife's ankles that ended up with a meal plate and a bunch of screws after a fall.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Roller skating had quite an impact on one of my wife's ankles that ended up with a meal plate and a bunch of screws after a fall.
Yikes. Hope she's coping well.
My wife (68 years old) miss-stepped Mar. '20 at night going down back porch brick steps, there's 5, when on 3 she stepped out like into the yard, which wasn't there, of course. She has macular degeneration which is why her vision at night is so bad.

Broke left tibia just under the knee (tibia plateau), required trauma surgery like in a car wreck, as it was not a simple tibia break. Like your wife, she has plate and screws but on that tibia below the knee. The pain comes and goes, it cut down on her stamina.

For 2 years now we have a different procedure for going out with the dogs when it's twilight or later. :cool:

Reaction score
@SJGUSMC21 smart move walking this morning! Time is EST but camera is just west of you.
Oh, I know. I was cooking steaks tonight for Mama and damn if I didn't get dizzy, as i was in the sun for part of it. It is barely May and we are already hitting the 100 mark. Damn. I use to spend my summers in South West Texas, Peyote with my Grandmother. OMG.....106, 108 or more during the summers. But it was dry heat....:facepalm:

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, it is a dry heat! At some point it is just plain hot. I spend most of my time in Central Florida so I can relate to oppressive humidity and dry heat. Think I prefer dry heat but 105 is a bit much.

100 td

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Weight loss is a simple mathematical calculation, extremely easy to do, and works for EVERYONE, no exceptions. Calories intake verses calories burned/required by the body to function. Reduce your calorie intake below your body's requirements and you WILL lose weight. Exercise is an added bonus if you can add it to the equation. I recently lost 13kg/28lbs in 13 weeks, simply by cutting my food/calorie intake, no exercise. I then lost another couple kg over the next couple of months, now 3 months later I have now gained those 2 extra kg. I knew I would bounce after weight loss with a less stringent regime. So now I need to focus for another 5~7 weeks to lose a bit more, then set my intake requirements to maintain weight. Weight loss is so easy, and that's the hard part, because it's so easy, one says to ones self, I'll just have that extra helping of XXXXX, because I know I can lose that tomorrow, and the same happens tomorrow..............

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
trying this. I am 6-1 260lb smoker . the Big issue is no food after 6:00 (chips, peanuts, hockey/beer) and cutting down on sugar. I like my beer, so this may be a tough go. I too have a bad knee and sold the tread mill but going to try walks and stay more active.........I'm hungry

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like my beer with more beer in it, which is why I like IPAs. The thing is, alcohol has 7 calories per gram compared with carbohydrates/protein with 4 calories and lipids (fat) with 9. It's almost as energy dense as fat. Lighter beer (less alcohol content) will have fewer calories, obviously. For the most part, you've got to drink less alcohol if you want fewer calories. That means light beer, or just less volume of the heavier stuff.

... anecdotally, I remember buying a case of beer in Enid, OK and working on fixing up a house with my friend. We drank continuously but I never even got a buzz on that 3.2 beer.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My best friend was killed in 2012. He was Recon and then marsoc when they started up. Spring of 2013 my brother in law called and asked if I wanted to run a marathon in honor of my buddy as a fundraiser. I said sure why not, sign me up.

That day on my way home from work the Boston Marathon bombing happened and it was all over the radio. I called him and asked if he was serious about this whole marathon thing. He said yup, I already signed you up. The Marathon is in DC in the fall at the Marine Corps Marathon.

I got home and told my wife that my brother in law signed me up for a marathon in October for a fundraiser for the MARSOC Foundation and we are running in honor of Dan. She started laughing thinking it was a joke.

She asked if I knew what a marathon was, I said only 3-5 miles. Im sure after a summer of running I can pull it off, but we are going to DC in October…….
She laughed at me.
I wasn’t laughing when she told me a marathon was 26.2 miles. I had to google it to confirm….

Needless to say, over the summer I went from not running more than a mile in middle school in the 90’s to being able to finish a marathon over a summers worth of training. And we raised just shy of 20k too.

That was the best year of my life. I lost 50 pounds, was able to put any buffet out of business and not effect me.

That was 10 years ago, I’m back to the weight I started at and need to loose it. I want to run another marathon, but a full time job, part time job and we are starting a farm of our own which most days is another part time to full time job. 4-5 hour nights is killing me. I need another 12 hours in a day

Running is great. It was “my time” every evening. Nothing but time to think and reflect on the good times with my buddy growing up.

You now have me thinking what would a Recon, MARSOC, Raider marine do…..
Just fuking do it, that’s what any of those guys would do and say.

Reaction score
'Running is great. It was “my time” every evening. Nothing but time to think and reflect on the good times with my buddy growing up.'

That is exactly it. Me time and I love it! NO thinking, no stressing, just me, myself and I. My family knows NOT to bother me when I am on the treadmill UNLESS the house is on fire.

As for the Marine Marathon, I have worked that monstrosity 3 times. You would NOT believe how much work goes into that event every time the Marine Corps does it. Last time, I had two Marines robbed at gunpoint (2001), luckily, they didn't have shit on them but a few dollars. Good for you and my advice to you: if at all possible, SLOW DOWN. I worked two jobs for the last 3 years up until last July. It really hurt me to do so. I am 58, have a wife and two school age daughters. Very sorry for the loss of your friend.