Loss of signal using H264, works fine with MJPEG?

Reaction score
I'm using BI to record salmon passing through a video chute as part of a monitoring project. I'm using four analog underwater cameras connected to an Axis M7014 4-channel encoder. The encoder can provide either H264 or MJPEG streams, and BI has preset configuration settings for both. Each of the four channels can be set as a separate "camera."

I would prefer to use the H264 stream for its reduced bandwidth and storage, but whenever I configure multiple channels to use H264, the video feed drops after a minute or two. Just one channel seems to work just fine, but switching additional channels to H264 makes them all crash. It works just fine with MJPEG, despite requiring considerably more bandwidth. I've tried tweaking every obvious setting, such as increasing the record buffer, etc., but nothing seems to work. The encoder itself doesn't have too many settings to adjust the H264 stream, and I've had the same problem at several sites using the same basic equipment.

Any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm using BI to record salmon passing through a video chute as part of a monitoring project. I'm using four analog underwater cameras connected to an Axis M7014 4-channel encoder. The encoder can provide either H264 or MJPEG streams, and BI has preset configuration settings for both. Each of the four channels can be set as a separate "camera."

I would prefer to use the H264 stream for its reduced bandwidth and storage, but whenever I configure multiple channels to use H264, the video feed drops after a minute or two. Just one channel seems to work just fine, but switching additional channels to H264 makes them all crash. It works just fine with MJPEG, despite requiring considerably more bandwidth. I've tried tweaking every obvious setting, such as increasing the record buffer, etc., but nothing seems to work. The encoder itself doesn't have too many settings to adjust the H264 stream, and I've had the same problem at several sites using the same basic equipment.

Any ideas?
the encoder could be having trouble compressing more than one stream to h264

Reaction score
That would make sense... though you would think it would be capable of it, seeing as how it's a four-channel encoder and all. "Well yes, this car has four seats, but good luck making it anywhere with more than one passenger."

I asked Axis tech support - I'll let you know if I hear back. Thanks.