Lost a clip, any chance to recover it?

hoffsta

n3wb
Reaction score
I just installed Blue Iris and some new cams for the first time right before leaving town for a trip. I didn't realize that the default is to record only 30gb and then start deleting the files, (have a 4TB drive, and assumed it would fill it before deleting). The first night in action I had a perp approach my front door and check if it was unlocked. The alert went off without a hitch and I was excited to share th clip with my neighbors but sadly, by the time I could go back to export anything, the file was already gone.

Is there any way to recover the file? I tried a free program, Recuva, but it could find anything.

Secondly, what's the best practices for "new," "stored," and "alerts" folders to get the most out of my 4TB?

Thanks all!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It should still be on the drive unless another file was written over it. The alerts folder is kept empty unless you choose to store hi res alert photos in the record tab which is not necessary. You can simply set the new folder to record 3300gb or so (leave 10 percent free if this is your OS drive as well). Uncheck the say limitation.

hoffsta

n3wb
Reaction score
Very strange. I had everything up and running yesterday afternoon but the clips currently in my "new" folder don't start until 4:28am today. Since BI was defaulted to store only 30Gb, does it start overwriting those earlier files as soon as the limit is reached?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Very strange. I had everything up and running yesterday afternoon but the clips currently in my "new" folder don't start until 4:28am today. Since BI was defaulted to store only 30Gb, does it start overwriting those earlier files as soon as the limit is reached?
It deletes the files. If the drive writes new data to the same location, they are gone for good.