Lost Camera In Firmware Upgrade - HIK VISION DS-2CD2732F-IS

SuMeRiaN

n3wb
Reaction score
Good morning, I was incredibly thrilled last night to have found this forum randomly reading reviews on AMAZON.com. I have a HIK VISION DS-7716NI-SP / 16 NVR runningv3.4.21 build 160630. I have 9 of the DS-2CD2732F-IS HIK VISION cameras somebought at different times from different vendors.

In talking to the MFG the cameras current version is 5.4. I pulled the file and proceeded to upgrade cameras with the consecutive firmware 5.1 to 5.2 to 5.3 to 5.4... Three of the cameras were on version 5.25 and all thee ceased responding after the update. I used the guide whoslooking provided in the stickythread and MAGIC I was able to get 2 of the 3 failed devices running again. Letme stop here and say THANK YOU whoslooking!!

One of the devices that is installed VERY high, I will need to rent a ladder to get to is not coming to life. The camera will connect to the TFTP server and the file is transmitted however it never says “success” and even sometimes sends an error.I have tried previous versions 5.2 and 5.3 all of which produce a “success” response in the TFTP server but the camera still never connects to the NVR.

I would love some feedback, depending on the weather I am going to rent a ladder and have it today or tomorrow.

The MFG is suggesting 5.4, what version does this community say I should be running on the US cameras? I am thinking you folks may have some custom firmware or your favorite version.

What about the NON US cameras on 5.2.5, simply leave them where they are?

The camera that is not working, can I simply throw a number of firmware versions at it until it finds one it likes? If so where do I get them and which versions should I start at. I bet the team here would have a better answer if I had the serial and other info from the camera itself. I will pull it down if need be, just need someone home to spot me.

Look forward to any and all responses, especially the ones insisting I search the forums more.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Who is the MFG? And why are they recommending 5.4 ? Hikvisino USA isn't the manufacturer but more a sales house.

Unless you have a very good reason to update them, leave them where they are.

If something is not broken, don't fix it.
+1

I still have some cameras on 5.16, there's no way I'm updating them to later versions as I'll lose functionality for starters.

SuMeRiaN

n3wb
Reaction score
Who is the MFG? And why are they recommending 5.4 ? Hikvisino USA isn't the manufacturer but more a sales house.

+1

I still have some cameras on 5.16, there's no way I'm updating them to later versions as I'll lose functionality for starters.
I was considering the MFG to be HIK VISION.

Should I be taking my cameras back to 5.16?
What about the dead camera?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was considering the MFG to be HIK VISION.

Should I be taking my cameras back to 5.16?
What about the dead camera?
It's too late for that now.

Hikvision China told you to do this did they? I would be asking them what to do then.

SuMeRiaN

n3wb
Reaction score
Any other suggestions regarding the camera that is not connecting?

SuMeRiaN

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not blaming anyone or trying to point fingers. I asked HIK Vision USA for the current FW for my NVR and cameras. I updated the device on my own. When I wrote them they responded with a template with a series of questions many of which I can not answer without pulling the camera down.

One more post here and I can send a PM to whoslooking for a final eye on my dilemma b4 renting a ladder and brining it down

SuM

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hikvision USA isn't the manufacturer are they and they didn't tell you to update it by the looks of it but hey ho, why not kill a working system. If it wasn't clear, don't touch the other 5.2.5 cameras that are working.

You're going to PM whoslooking? He hasn't been online for 4 weeks. Jeez.

You really really really need to read the entire sticky thread: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English

The hint is in the title. 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English not 5.4.0 English to 5.2.5 English

SuMeRiaN

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision USA isn't the manufacturer are they and they didn't tell you to update it by the looks of it but hey ho, why not kill a working system. If it wasn't clear, don't touch the other 5.2.5 cameras that are working.

You're going to PM whoslooking? He hasn't been online for 4 weeks. Jeez.

You really really really need to read the entire sticky thread: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English

The hint is in the title. 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English not 5.4.0 English to 5.2.5 English
Sorry I am not following your sarcasm. I read the thread you have linked, did you not read what I wrote? I was able to save 2 of 3 cameras using the guide there. One of the cameras I feel certain is Chinese and was previously on 5.2.5 did not make it to 5.3 and I have been unsuccessful in downgrading using the previous linked to method. The camera is working as it will connect to the FTFP server but not the NVR. I just messaged whoslooking, possibly he will chime in.

I have a ladder coming MONDAY so I will pull it down and post specifics soon enough

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's not sarcasm, I'm just pointing out for others that you were originally talking rubbish about the "MFG" telling you to update it.

You made a mistake (we all do) and now you have a bricked camera and are desperately posting enough posts hoping that whoslooking will PM you back. If I was him I would rather you read the thread properly and worked out what was wrong. Re-reading my hint might help.

castlemark

n3wb
Reaction score
http://oversea-download.hikvision.com/UploadFile/USA/Cybersecurity and IP Video Systems White Paper_final_letter.pdf

Unless you have a very good reason to update them, leave them where they are.

If something is not broken, don't fix it.
I understand your advise to SuMeRian, I usually don't update firmware unless it fixes a problem or adds some functionalty. But how do you stick to that when you read this on Hikvision's website, page 7 of the link at the top of this post.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
http://oversea-download.hikvision.com/UploadFile/USA/Cybersecurity and IP Video Systems White Paper_final_letter.pdf

I understand your advise to SuMeRian, I usually don't update firmware unless it fixes a problem or adds some functionalty. But how do you stick to that when you read this on Hikvision's website, page 7 of the link at the top of this post.
Hikvisions statement is a joke..its written by an inept person who doesnt understand proper security protocols. you should never expose a camera or NVR directly to the internet...remember that these camera/nvr manufactures are at least 6 months to a year behind any security vulnerability and thats if the choose to fix it..its a false sense of security...If your cameras/nvr are not directly exposed, there is no security issue that firmware could resolve.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hikvisions statement is a joke..its written by an inept person who doesnt understand proper security protocols. you should never expose a camera or NVR directly to the internet...remember that these camera/nvr manufactures are at least 6 months to a year behind any security vulnerability and thats if the choose to fix it..its a false sense of security...If your cameras/nvr are not directly exposed, there is no security issue that firmware could resolve.
That's Hikvision USA - sales men.

Understanding about network security is a better solution. I personally prefer the air-gap method for my NVR https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gap_(networking)