Lost in lala land!

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Will continue the decision process tomorrow. I have been reading back and forth on the nvr vs bi and see the merits of the investment. Tough pill to swallow right now. PC, WD Purple, PoE Switch, BI Software, Cat 6 wire..... And haven't even added the 170.00 per camera. Would like at least 4 to start with. All equals big bucks. But I have idiots down the street that have a revolving door of unknown people. Drug house down a little further. Assorted registered offenders near us. Our basset hound investment. Heroine running rampant through our town.. Equals I should make a good investment.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a lot to digest. Do it right the first time. So many of us found out the hard way. You can always do one cam at a time as budget allows. It's not the best long term solution, but there's always smartpss that would allow you to record and view from your current PC. It's a free download from Dahua. Purchase a poe switch, buy one cam, and you've got a start. That can help in deciding to get the basics going.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad neighbor hood for your 13 year old daughter to grow up in. They'll send that pention check anywhere bro.
Thought about moving the Bassets and compnay? Just sayin..

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can't get away from it man. The registered offenders are everywhere. It used to be a quiet little town. I live outside the city limits and it's typically quiet here. I'd love to move across the bridge to WV. My wife doesn't want to move. My 81 year old parents live up the street. We have 3-4 houses around me that would do anything for each other and well versed in firearms. A good system will make it that worse of a day for an intruder. My kids and wife are pretty darn good shots as well. Do a search around your house for sex offender with the online tools. Amazing.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now researching a poe switch. I'll take some pictures of the outside of the house and maybe get an idea of what cameras would offer the best coverage.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You think 8gb will be a sufficient amount of memory for the system I ordered?

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I thought of putting one on one of our trees back from the house that would give a broad high view of the property.
This will let you know if something is going on, but most likely won't help ID anyone. A zoomed out, high camera won't let you see faces, but that's why you get a camera and play with it. I didn't really understand all of this until I tried it myself. Also, you need to experiment at night, things look different at night, the Dahua camera will work well in the dark but you still need to see how things look.

For location, you would want to cover any and all possible entry points to your kennel, so the windows and doors. You want to be able to ID someone if they break in. If it was me, I'd also cover the front door to the main house, at a minimum, although I know all this adds up.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to give you an idea of my home layout. The pictures where you see 2 brush piles will be where the building for the dogs will be kept. I'm sure I will have to rearrange the cameras a little or add to the system for added coverage. Don't mind the fingers on the one photo. Had to block out the sun. Thoughts on camera type? Location? I thought of putting one on one of our trees back from the house that would give a broad high view of the property.
Keep in mind, you want to not only see what happened, but who did it. So you have be concerned with ID'ing the culprit.
The cameras I first posted will get the job done, they have Varifocal lense's so you can adjust their Point of View and get the pic you want.
For id'ing purposes, don't mount cams any higher than 8ft.

Will the dog breeding building be an actual building or just a fancy pen?

Use this to judge what views you will get from each location: Camera Calculator / Design Software Keep PPF at 100 or above.

Poe switch, if you think you may ever add a PTZ cam, then you would want to consider a POE-at+ switch. If not, a POE-af switch with plenty of power budget will suffice.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's going to be an actual building. How big? Depends on tax returns. Lol. I am definitely going with what you guys recommend.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You only need to watch the entrance to the building, and any windows on it.
If you need more than one cam at the building, you can always add another POE switch in the building. Then you only need one network cable back to the house from the building.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to give you an idea of my home layout. The pictures where you see 2 brush piles will be where the building for the dogs will be kept. I'm sure I will have to rearrange the cameras a little or add to the system for added coverage. Don't mind the fingers on the one photo. Had to block out the sun. Thoughts on camera type? Location? I thought of putting one on one of our trees back from the house that would give a broad high view of the property.
Cam locations:
Front door, Upper left corner of the front door as your viewing from outside. Point so it will catch the face of people walking up the steps.
Garage door. Upper right corner to cover the garage door and the bottom of the steps.
Side door dog area: Upper left of the door, so you catch the door and window on that side.
Kennel building: Top middle of the entry door facing away from building.
Depending on window location in kennel: One on the soffit of the building looking down the side where window is located.
I wouldn't put a window of any sort in the back of the building...too concealed from eyeballs.

These are simply guidelines. You need to get a cam, and make a test rig out of a 5gal bucket, 8ft 2x4, and rocks. Mount cam to 2x4, and test locations during day and night until you find the perfect spots. Lower height is better for ID'ing, the cams IR will illuminate farther.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Back side of the house is low. Maybe 7' from ground to the mounting location. Front and sides should be pretty straightforward. Will order the rest of the stuff this evening. Same camera model for every side?

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great ideas regarding the kennel build also. Like the no windows on the side concerned.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Didn't order last night. Got invited to do a wing night with some friends. Came home and went to bed.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Attachments

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I want to place my order for my cameras. Extremely nervous buying from Aliexpress considering the amount I'd be losing. Nervous rolling the dice on $700

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Many thanks for everyone's patience. I really do appreciate it. I've asked a bunch of questions. You all have been nice and I can't say how appreciative I am.