Lost Video

Reaction score
I was exporting a video to a thumb drive for evidence in a police matter and the video files that were selected did not transfer properly. I am now looking at my video logs and the exported videos now show up as a snapshot in .jpg format. I cant even view the snapshot.The alert time is still there but the motion on the timeline is gone. Is there someway to retrieve the original motion capture or am I SOL?upload_2017-2-18_16-48-2.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Select clips not alerts... Next time protect the clip so it doesn't get erased.

Reaction score
Unfortunately the clip is not there. It only shows up under the alerts tab. I have a terrible feeling this clip is just gone. I will most definitely be protecting the clips from now on. The odd thing is that one of the clips was exported just fine, I'm not quite sure what happened for them to be lost.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the clip is not there. It only shows up under the alerts tab. I have a terrible feeling this clip is just gone. I will most definitely be protecting the clips from now on. The odd thing is that one of the clips was exported just fine, I'm not quite sure what happened for them to be lost.
Every file is deleted eventually .. What were your storage settings? You need to properly setup storage parameters..

Reaction score
This was a clip from last night. My storage perimeters for how long to keep a clip is 7 days. The storage maximum I have set at 800gb. I'm not even close to the 800gb limit. It's almost as if during the export the file got corrupted and changed to a jpg. This machine runs nothing else but the camera and blue iris software. I looked everywhere for the file with no luck. This is a terrible lesson learned.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
This was a clip from last night. My storage perimeters for how long to keep a clip is 7 days. The storage maximum I have set at 800gb. I'm not even close to the 800gb limit. It's almost as if during the export the file got corrupted and changed to a jpg. This machine runs nothing else but the camera and blue iris software. I looked everywhere for the file with no luck. This is a terrible lesson learned.
Did you try to repair the database? Worth a shot, did you look in the actual folder to see if the file is there?

Reaction score
I did a database restore to no avail. I was hoping someone had seen or ran into this issue. It is strange that it left a .jpg almost as a place holder. The alert log showing there was an alert for that time and length but no video clip. I was really hoping it dumped it somewhere on the machine but that hope is fading. I really appreciate all your input and responses as well... thank you. I think I will be picking up a shodow copy as well and possibly looking at some cloud based storage. I'm running a Dell R610 and will be overhauling the storage and get a decent backup contingency in place. I guess the good thing is I had already showed the officer who had came out so he did see the fottage of the issue. Out of the 3 clips I still have one that will suffice for evidence. I'm just upset with myself that I wasn't more careful. I thought I had done everything correctly but there's always a chance for corruption during an export.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did a database restore to no avail. I was hoping someone had seen or ran into this issue. It is strange that it left a .jpg almost as a place holder. The alert log showing there was an alert for that time and length but no video clip. I was really hoping it dumped it somewhere on the machine but that hope is fading. I really appreciate all your input and responses as well... thank you. I think I will be picking up a shodow copy as well and possibly looking at some cloud based storage. I'm running a Dell R610 and will be overhauling the storage and get a decent backup contingency in place. I guess the good thing is I had already showed the officer who had came out so he did see the fottage of the issue. Out of the 3 clips I still have one that will suffice for evidence. I'm just upset with myself that I wasn't more careful. I thought I had done everything correctly but there's always a chance for corruption during an export.
...i think you are misunderstanding...the jpg file is likely an alert jpeg because you selected "save high res alerts"...blue iris will not change a video file to a jpg file...you either deleted it or during export you accidentally selected replace current file and did not choose create a new file and place it in a new location..

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Try a program called recuva and stop writing to the drive

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk