Louis Rossman, really dislikes smarthome garage door openers which fail ...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Louis Rossmann:

Smart homes were a mistake. the requirement that you allow this shit to connect to your home network, turn on location services, and give your email address for a f** garage door opener is beyond ridiculous. but to do all of that and end with this; I feel cheated.

I like my garage door openers like apple likes their geniuses, dumber than a box of rocks. My first home project is going to be ripping this out of the wall

1660800702017.png

Top comment

1660800912967.png

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
We live in an age where people are not just willing to give up privacy and security for simplicity, they actually demand it.

In an effort to keep things simple, most "smart home" devices now require a connection to the internet (cloud) in order to work. This is because it is easier and cheaper for the user (and manufacturer) to create and maintain an automation system in a server that the manufacture controls vs having to build this functionality out in each and every user's home. But while this is the easiest and cheapest solution for the user, it is not the best solution. It is best for the user to have this automation system be local and not require (or even allow) outside/internet access. But those systems are not the cheapest nor the easiest solutions to create and that's why they have never taken off. Users want simple and that generally means using cloud based solutions and giving up security and privacy to accomplish it.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My old Liftmaster was old and on it's last leg, I bought a Chamberlain B970T, it is belt driven, instead of chain, much quieter. Actually too quiet we found. The door could open while we are inside and we cannot hear it, not like our old Opener. Also bought some 7 inch Nylon Rollers like these As far as myQ, don't trust it.
Even our Front door deadbolt is a Code Keypad but Not a Mechanical Lock so you cannot open it remotely.

Old Liftmaster:
View attachment Old_LiftMaster.mp4

New Chamberlain:
View attachment New_Chamberlain.mp4

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
My old Liftmaster was old and on it's last leg, I bought a Chamberlain B970T, it is belt driven, instead of chain, much quieter. Actually too quiet we found. The door could open while we are inside and we cannot hear it, not like our old Opener. Also bought some 7 inch Nylon Rollers like these As far as myQ, don't trust it.
Even our Front door deadbolt is a Code Keypad but Not a Mechanical Lock so you cannot open it remotely.
We got a similar belt-driven Chamberlain a couple of years ago, like you, we were amazed at how much quieter it is.

Reaction score
I replaced the 16 year old Craftsman chain DO's we had with some Genie belt driven ones. Didn't want to, but I was tired of patching them together to keep them working. Then one of their boards fried, and it was too much for a used one. They work great, and was relatively simple to install. Very quiet compared to the old chain ones we had, and they have battery back up as well, which we have yet to use, but whatever.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

Old Liftmaster:
View attachment 137048

New Chamberlain:
View attachment 137049
Hey David, don't you need another reinforcement bar for your garage door?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey David, don't you need another reinforcement bar for your garage door?
Good question, not sure...this is how most I have seen are installed but this is my first large door, other house had two separate doors...