Lovely Neighbor

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only problem with backing into a driveway is that backing up driving seems to be a lost art. People will do anything to avoid backing up anywhere, even, in or into, their own driveway and, when they do, it's pretty much potluck if they can even maintain a straight line, let alone look around before entering the street.
I fixed it for you. ;)

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
That IS much better. There are so many incompetent, arrogant, impatient, self-absorbed, "I'm more important than you", "I need to get in front of you to save me 2ms" drivers out there now.
I call that the "Dale Earnhardt syndrome".
Do whatever you can to screw the other drivers from passing you.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is what happens when an A-hole (SUV) meets a dumbass (white car).

I lived in Northern Ca for 29 years in a neighborhood that looks identical to what is shown in the LA area. The speed limit in a residential neighborhood like that is 25 MPH, unless otherwise posted. I'd be genuinely surprised if the speed limit is more than that, as cars are allowed to park on both sides and yes, kids run out, and...get this.....cars back out. IMO, the SUV was going too fast. California’s “Basic Speed Law” means that you may never drive faster than is safe for current conditions. Granted, it's a video but having worked in the roadway for over 31 years I have a pretty idea of how fast objects are moving. IDK, I may have lost that touch after being retired for 16 .

Also, CA State Law says you can use your horn for emergencies only. The only reason for urgency was because the SUV was going too fast and I would say the proper thing to do given the circumstances was to brake quickly and adequately and a quick tap on the horn to warn the white car and let them know they failed to yield but being the dickhead that the driver of the SUV was, he sounded it much too long...you've made your point: granted, the white car was careless but YOU are driving much too fast for the conditions. A learning opportunity flew right over their head.

Standby for some hypothetical here: Had there been a collision AND I came to the scene as a cop (I'm not) AND this video had been available to me I would have cited BOTH drivers; the white car for failure to yield / reckless driving and the SUV for speeding...and if the SUV driver showed me some attitude I'd throw in a violation of that statute I mentioned earlier for the excessive horn blowing, disturbing the peace or inciting road rage.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The only problem with backing into a driveway is that backing up seems to be a lost art. People will do anything to avoid backing up anywhere, even, in or into, their own driveway and, when they do, it's pretty much potluck if they can even maintain a straight line, let alone look around before entering the street.
It's an art that may well pay dividends given the current social unrest. Anytime I park (my rear end, or my vehicles), I always want to face the exit. You never know when you have to leave quickly - and while it may take a few seconds longer to initially back into a spot/driveway - and you may upset the guy behind you who has to wait, it makes up for it when it's time to depart.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
It's an art that may well pay dividends given the current social unrest. Anytime I park (my rear end, or my vehicles), I always want to face the exit. You never know when you have to leave quickly - and while it may take a few seconds longer to initially back into a spot/driveway - and you may upset the guy behind you who has to wait, it makes up for it when it's time to depart.
Most people have no idea what that R is on their shifter. It's kind of like a stick shift, they have no idea how to use it! :banghead:

Actually first responders are taught to back in. When the adrenaline kicks in, it's best and quickest to leave that way.
Trivia for the day, AT&T also requires their techs to back in.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
USPS actually forbids their letter carriers from backing up I believe. At least that's what multiple ones have told me here. Given the "skill level" they all have it's probably a good policy. We have trees, good sized ones on both sides of the driveway about halfway between the house and street, and they've almost kit them on multiple occasions. I have ruts in the lawn from them hitting the brakes in a panic when they finally realize they're about to back into a tree. Our new letter carries, they seem to switch them out yearly, has a better solution, a U turn on the lawn.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Fed Ex is bad about backing up in the yard or making a huge u turn.
It is really funny when they drop off into a low spot I have, they have gotten stuck there a couple times.
I just let them call for a tow to get out.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
We've never had a problem with UPS, FedX or DHL being able to back out of the driveway. Our driveway is only about 150 feet long from the street to the gate and it's straight as an arrow so backing out is no real problem. Our street is pretty quite, too, so there's rarely a wait for traffic to go by. I've considered spike strips on each side of the driveway but I'd probably forget about them and run over them myself with the tractor when mowing the lawn.

PeteCress

n3wb
Reaction score
@ljw2k and @saltwater I disagree. I don't live on a main street, the Infiniti SUV should of waited for the Honda to pull out of his driveway. SUV was driving too fast and impatient.
I had the same impression: he was going a bit fast, but it also looked like:
  • He had plenty time so slow down or stop
  • The guy backing out checked for traffic, did not see any, started backing out, and then the SUV came into sight aftet the guy backing out was committed.