Low cost, CVI/TVI vs IP?

Reaction score
Looking to put a low cost camera system together but with better quality than most store bought units.

I usually use IPC-HDW5231R-Z for all known reasons, but the price would be too high for a budget system. Would probably only use them outside. Was looking at the HDW4433C-A on Amazon and they are $63 which would satisfy a budget system I think. Having said that, a refurbished dell and BlueIris would be ideal, don't think a Dahua NVR would be any better, then again, maybe? Dell with i5-3570, 8gb ram, 120gb ssd, 2tb WD Purple is about $350, $65 for 9 port POE switch, $70 Cat5e, 8 of the HDW4433C-A for $504. So $1050 for a IP camera system with BI license.

Aside from IP, I know decent 2mp CVI/TVI cameras sell for about the same price as the abovve mentioned camera. 1000' RG59 siamese is $170. Aside form that I don't know what a decent DVR costs. Are you better off buying one of these systems as a bundle or putting one together as well? From what I keep looking at the price would be in the same ball bark as the above system using a Dahua NVR, same 2tb drive, after BNC fittings and a power supply.

Are their better alternatives even in kits that beat the crappy store bought stuff? Thanks guys.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking to put a low cost camera system together but with better quality than most store bought units.

I usually use IPC-HDW5231R-Z for all known reasons, but the price would be too high for a budget system. Would probably only use them outside. Was looking at the HDW4433C-A on Amazon and they are $63 which would satisfy a budget system I think. Having said that, a refurbished dell and BlueIris would be ideal, don't think a Dahua NVR would be any better, then again, maybe? Dell with i5-3570, 8gb ram, 120gb ssd, 2tb WD Purple is about $350, $65 for 9 port POE switch, $70 Cat5e, 8 of the HDW4433C-A for $504. So $1050 for a IP camera system with BI license.

Aside from IP, I know decent 2mp CVI/TVI cameras sell for about the same price as the abovve mentioned camera. 1000' RG59 siamese is $170. Aside form that I don't know what a decent DVR costs. Are you better off buying one of these systems as a bundle or putting one together as well? From what I keep looking at the price would be in the same ball bark as the above system using a Dahua NVR, same 2tb drive, after BNC fittings and a power supply.

Are their better alternatives even in kits that beat the crappy store bought stuff? Thanks guys.
Hi Da.Brown

You can find some decent kits if you're not looking for the super cheap stuff.

Do try to avoid the Chinese market cameras unless you are willing to deal with the associated issues with them.

Note, my recommendation if you're going to go through the work to wire - go with good quality cat6/5e - you can always use Baluns to get a coax/bnc camera to work over those wires.

Right now from Fry's you can get a Dahua OEM kit - 8x 8MP / "4K" Bullet cameras + 16 port NVR + HDD for $1099...

Reaction score
It was my understanding that the kits, even those like Dahuas come with the cheap economy cameras, they aren't starlight models anyhow.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It was my understanding that the kits, even those like Dahuas come with the cheap economy cameras, they aren't starlight models anyhow.
Hi da.brown,

Anyhow the cameras you're picking are not starlight either - so I am not certain where the starlight requirement is coming from at this point.

SO, kits vary in quality - just like the "kit" you are assembling, you're picking the most affordable cameras - and this is why the vendors of the kits typically have a number of kits which have cheaper cameras - for consumers who are more concerned about price than quality.

That particular kit I mentioned just happens to be a kit with what appears to be a Dahua OEM NVR5216-16P-4KS2 with 8x IPC_HFW48xx cameras. The cameras are using the same chip family as the Dahua OEM starlights. ( update: could be a NVR4116 or NVR5116 hard to tell )

Remember you can always upgrade the NVR to a Blue Iris + PoE switch setup when you have more funds.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi da.brown,

Anyhow the cameras you're picking are not starlight either - so I am not certain where the starlight requirement is coming from at this point.

SO, kits vary in quality - just like the "kit" you are assembling, you're picking the most affordable cameras - and this is why the vendors of the kits typically have a number of kits which have cheaper cameras - for consumers who are more concerned about price than quality.

That particular kit I mentioned just happens to be a kit with what appears to be a Dahua OEM NVR5216-16P-4KS2 with 8x IPC_HFW48xx cameras. The cameras are using the same chip family as the Dahua OEM starlights.

Remember you can always upgrade the NVR to a Blue Iris + PoE switch setup when you have more funds.
No requirement for Starlight, only mentioning as that the major downside to the cheap cameras I suppose, and yet the price would be the same as a kit essentially.

Can you send link to the kit you are referring to? I can't seem to find it.

Thank you

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No requirement for Starlight, only mentioning as that the major downside to the cheap cameras I suppose, and yet the price would be the same as a kit essentially.

Can you send link to the kit you are referring to? I can't seem to find it.

Thank you
Search Fry's for: "Lechange 16 Channel NVR with 8 4K Network Cameras"