Low/no light full color camera

Jakubx80

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I apologize upfront if that's a newb or silly question but I can't find answer in this forum or YouTube reviews and Dahua descriptions/marketing materials are confusing.

I'm looking for a dual lens, 180 degrees Poe camera (like a new Dahua N83BP83) for monitoring of the outside yard of my home.
The purpose is mostly fun, or wildlife and it's an addition to other IR cameras I have.

Conditions is zero exterior light sources, just light pollution from a city a few miles away.

Would a full color camera without IR work in such setup? I'd of course want to avoid using built in warm LED but then it's not clear to me if I'd pick up any image at all.

What confused me is that Dahua in their material is showing night images and making a statement about not attracting insects. That would suggest LED off.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope that would be the wrong camera.

Full color cameras are not magic and need light - either use the built-in white light (most here do not use it as it looks stupid where the camera is placed LOL) or you have enough white light that you can use that camera. If you don't have enough white light, then you need a camera that can see infrared as the Full color cameras cannot see infrared.

The "exception" may be if you don't care about lots of blur and run it on default settings that opens the shutter up to like 1/3s and gain at 100, but at that point any cheap camera will be sufficient.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My environment is the same as yours is. Forget color night vision unless you want to have the cam's white lights on all the time (and for sure that would attract even MORE insects). Also, as @wittaj stated, having the white lights on all night just doesn't make much sense to me. I have 5 180° cams in use for wildlife around here and I exclusively use IR at night.

Last edited:

Jakubx80

n3wb
Reaction score
My environment is the same as yours is. Forget color night vision unless you want to have the cam's white lights on all the time (and for sure that would attract even MORE insects). Also, as @wittaj stated, having the white lights on all night just doesn't make much sense to me. I have 5 180° cams in use for wildlife around here and I exclusively us IR at night.
That's great to hear. Out of curiosity, does anyone know why they would not include IR illuminator? These are nice looking cameras but completely useless for my needs.

Do you have recommendations for 180 degrees camera with IR?

I need both, "bullet" style for vertical wall mounting and turret.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
There's a whole thread on the Paxvigo EBF810 here:

In that thread there is also talk about the Annke 151DX which is very similar. Both have IR illuminators. Both cameras are basically Hikvision and both come in bullet and turret. Both are on sale right now for 89 and 99 bucks. FWIW, I personally own 5 of the Paxvigo. From what I see, for the price, you couldn't go wrong with either.

Last edited:

Jakubx80

n3wb
Reaction score
There's a whole thread on the Paxvigo EBF810 here:

In that thread there is also talk about the Annke 151DX which is very similar. Both have IR illuminators. Both cameras are basically Hikvision and both come in bullet and turret. Both are on sale right now for 89 and 99 bucks. FWIW, I personally own 5 of the Paxvigo. From what I see, for the price, you couldn't go wrong with either.
Thank you - I've read through the thread. Looks like a lot options to tinker with, which is nice.

I know that Reolink is not very popular, but any thoughts how that would compare against Duo?
Reolink Duo 2 PoE - Dual-Lens Panoramic Security Camera | Reolink Official

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score