LPR camera suggestion?

rfoust

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, fairly new to camera stuff in general. I think I've got my current cameras somewhat dialed in (maybe) but I'm trying to figure out what I would need to do to be able to do LPR from either the street, or at the minimum the parking lot entrance right across from my house. I'll try to include a sample image of what I see now from my Dahua cameras. Thanks for any suggestions!

-Robbie

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 11.08.08 PM.png

Reaction score
at the minimum the parking lot entrance right across from my house.
Do you mean that you would put a cam across the street? Do you have access?

You will want to put LPR cams as close to the street as possible. You want to make the angle as shallow as possible to cut down on the plate foreshortening. See these threads to get an idea about LPR.

rfoust

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you mean that you would put a cam across the street? Do you have access?

You will want to put LPR cams as close to the street as possible. You want to make the angle as shallow as possible to cut down on the plate foreshortening. See these threads to get an idea about LPR.
No, I'd want the camera on the porch preferably. Wasn't sure if there was a specific type of camera that might be good for this considering the distance. I don't mind getting another camera dedicated to it.

Thanks for the links, I'll take a look!

-Robbie

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5241-Z12E is the go to camera to use for LPR due to its high focal length.

rfoust

n3wb
Reaction score
The 5241-Z12E is the go to camera to use for LPR due to its high focal length.
Nice! I came to the same conclusion after doing some research on the forum here today. Already have it ordered and on the way, should be here tomorrow. Excited to test it out!

Edit: I just know I'm gonna end up being "that weird guy" with 4 cameras on every corner of the house aimed in different directions. This is getting addicting. I just hope I can make them not so obvious/visible.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice! I came to the same conclusion after doing some research on the forum here today. Already have it ordered and on the way, should be here tomorrow. Excited to test it out!

Edit: I just know I'm gonna end up being "that weird guy" with 4 cameras on every corner of the house aimed in different directions. This is getting addicting. I just hope I can make them not so obvious/visible.
Most folks are oblivious, and 99% won't notice them.

rfoust

n3wb
Reaction score
And BOOM just like that, the new camera is reading license plates! It was a piece of cake to set up, but only because others before me had documented how to do it on the forums here.

I still have to mount it in it's final location and will probably tweak the settings a bit, but I'm super happy with the results.