LPR Camera without NVR recorder/post processing.

azapa

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey there all. First let me introduce my self and say THANKS for this excellent resource! I work in IT and live in Chile, where I have offered (oh no!) to set up something to make our neighborhood safer.

My plan, on a tight budget, is to use an ebay bought cam as cheap as possible to comply. The camera should ideally have its OWN processing and send an email with photo/and or parsed number plate number out via email whenever a vehicle passes. I want to avoid a NVR for cost and complexity reasons.

- low traffic (100 cars per hour tops)
- low speed, near to a junction, 30Km/h tops
- car to camera about 10M distance, camera about 3M up.
- Our number plates are Chilean type like this: http://d30ulalohusrpo.cloudfront.net/sites/elvacanudo.cl/files/imagecache/380x285/imagen_noticia/registro multas impagas patente 2014 chile.jpg they have a reflective white paint
- no NVR, I hope
- the camera will have movement detection to send out photo if NP not readable, or just NP as text if good read is obtained
- Will ideally send (setable) NP number and photo
- POE for camera

The cheaper (I, know guys, you get what you pay for, but I have a tiny budget for this, but quite a lot of patience.

My only question: what is the cheapest (ebay hopefully) cameras that will do the above with 80% accuracy without requiring any external processing or NVR ? Ideal <US$300!!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Last edited:

azapa

n3wb
Reaction score
Much appreciated pointers SY. Am reading around more now. It seems there are working examples, but not the cheaper Ebay cams. The cost seems to be 1K US$ o ebay but cheaper on Aliexpress, although the later I have never used and am a little cautions to do so.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are vendors on AliExpress that are ok. Others sell hacked cameras, that may work but are mostly not upgradable.
Recommended vendor @EMPIRETECANDY he has an Amazon store that has some cameras. Also a good AliExpress store.

You can email Andy with specific questions on purchasing.