LPR Captured Stolen Vehicle Suspect's Plate

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A neighbor posted about her husbands older model Tahoe being stolen on a local crimebuster Facebook page. I checked my LPR and got the guys plates and gave videos and images to LAPD detective working the case. I will post an update soon.

First 2 images are form the victim and the rest are from my house.

Attachments

Last edited:

arium76

n3wb
Reaction score
A neighbor posted about her husbands older model Tahoe being stolen on a local crimebuster Facebook page. I checked my LPR and got the guys plates and gave videos and images to LAPD detective working the case. I will post and update soon.

nice what camera models are they using?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A neighbor posted about her husbands older model Tahoe being stolen on a local crimebuster Facebook page. I checked my LPR and got the guys plates and gave videos and images to LAPD detective working the case. I will post an update soon.

Excellent job @jd415

Do feel free to post a link to more info on your setup ( or post some info here to help others out )

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks guys and thanks to everyone on this site helping me set this up! Without IPCT this would not of been possible. This forum is amazing and everyone is so helpful!

The LAPD detective could not believe how clear the images were, they were in shock that I had a plate too! I guess they see a lot of Ring garbage all day long. The LPR shot from the suspects vehicle actually didnt come out so well because I still need to tweak my settings. Below is a shot from a random car during the day and one at night. I also use it to capture pedestrians walking on my street (we dont have sidewalks).

@brianegge LPR is in plain view, I use a PTZ Amcrest (Dahua OEM) model IP4M-1053EW as a long range LPR.

Attachments

Last edited:

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks guys and thanks to everyone on this site helping me set this up! Without IPCT this would not of been possible. This forum is amazing and everyone is so helpful!

The LAPD detective could not believe how clear the images were, they were in shock that I had a plate too! I guess they see a lot of Ring garbage all day long. The LPR shot from the suspects vehicle actually didnt come out so well because I still need to tweak my settings. Below is a shot from a random car during the day and one at night. I also use it to capture pedestrians walking on my street (we dont have sidewalks).

@brianegge LPR is in plain view, I use a PTZ Amcrest (Dahua OEM) model IP4M-1053EW as a long rang LPR.
your camera solved the case and closed it down. great work.

Reaction score
UPDATE: Just got off the phone with LAPD, the Silverado had stolen plates
And this is why home LPR systems should have the ability to check against a stolen vehicle hotlist, and send the police an alert the moment a plate on that list goes by. Stolen car, or stolen plate - it won't matter. Supposedly Rekor (OpenALPR) is going to release that as a feature in the not-too-distant future. Flock Safety has a similar "Hotlist" feature, but it requires the cooperation of the local PD.

Great camera work, by the way. It's situations like this that make all the effort worthwhile. Your neighbor will appreciate what you did regardless of the outcome.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have this 5MP Jidetech PTZ that looks roughly as sharp as your Silverado pics but only when not moving. It's probably better suited elsewhere. On parking lot duty it's ok but it's motion flagging is flawed....Each Monday I come in and it's done some new recording error. skipping motion alerts , pretrigger may as well be 1hour. It's annoying.
Only reason I know is that I see stuff on my ancient Nightowl 16ch 2Mp over across the lot tagging everything. And the Jidetech says, " nope nothin to see here" Dad Gummit.

LPR's: In three out of 4 of my suspicious vehicle events at work....Plates were not completely readable. The 1 plate I got was from a resident with Binoculars, who reports stuff to me going on in the back lot.
During the riots/looting I saw many over achievers with no plates in Saint Paul.Fully loaded with people, Loaded for Bear, looking for action...Coming out at or near Curfew. Once I saw how often the news media was reporting burned cars with stolen plates or no plates, and Car Jackings/thefts during the George Floyd deal, I kinda gave up on an LPR. Hell one day they had a stolen Uhaul, with stolen Target merch, peddling it out of back to their buddies 300 ft from my Gf's townhouse. We had Foot Locker shoes my Gf's parking lot. Bright yellow Nikes size 8. I wear a 13...:)
Oh what I forgot to say was the stolen Prius was found (with wrong plates displayed) in a snow bank with 5 sets of license plates in it and hand tools. So yeah they steal a purse, get the keys, steal the car, then they swap plates, with another stolen car...and go do more Crimes....oh yay

Attachments

Last edited: