Lts 4mp smaller sensor than lts 2mp

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm sure there is a reason the 2mp has a smaller sensor but I just can't figure it out. They're both 120wdr. Can anyone enlighten me
4mp 1/3
2mp 1/2.8

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure there is a reason the 2mp has a smaller sensor but I just can't figure it out. They're both 120wdr. Can anyone enlighten me
4mp 1/3
2mp 1/2.8
The 2mp is actually larger than the 4mp sensor (1/2.8>1/3)...thats assuming the specs are correct...for example on the hikvision site, some of the 2mp cameras are listed as 1/2.8 and some 1/3...regardless, the 2mp will perform better in low light.

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's what I meant, I mistyped in my first post. I just am trying to understand why a higher mp cam would have a smaller sensor=less light to each pixel
I have the 2mp lts and it's great in low light but I am interested in the 4mp but curious how it performs against the 2mp

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I meant, I mistyped in my first post. I just am trying to understand why a higher mp cam would have a smaller sensor=less light to each pixel
I have the 2mp lts and it's great in low light but I am interested in the 4mp but curious how it performs against the 2mp
Im going to say its a typo....for example, the 2mp WD turrets on the hikvision site are listed as 1/3...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I am no expert by any means in this but I just guessing it comes down to economics. If they are producing the same cam in two sensor flavors they have to keep some differences. Also its likely the sensor they are using with higher MP count isn't available in larger sizes without some additional cost.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think eventually as higher pixels are more in demand, a full frame sensor will be the inevitable, I don't think any of us will see it at the pace they're going though, at least fairly priced. The technology seems to be in defiance with Moores Law.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Avigilon 16MP-HD-PRO-C seems to be using a full frame sensor at a premium $10,000 MSRP, need find a knock off on Ali lol.

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My brother just installed some LTS 4mp cameras and I wasn't blown away by them. Seemed 1.3 clarity....guess it's the aperture?