Lux rating vs Sensor size question

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have two cameras from dahua plan to test them side my side this weekend.

Camera A: SD22204T-GN 2mp 1/2.7"
Color: 0.05Lux@F1.6; B/W: 0.005Lux@F1.6

Camera B: SD22404T-GN 4mp 1/3"
Color: 0.05Lux@F1.6; B/W: 0.005Lux@F1.6

Correct me if am wrong plesse, It would apprear to me that both cameras would have the same light sensitivity however the 2mp having a slightly larger sensor and less mp will yield an image with less noise in low light conditions.

Daytime, the 4mp will give me more visual info.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have two cameras from dahua plan to test them side my side this weekend.

Camera A: 2mp 1/2.7" sensor 0.0005 lux/f1.6
Camera B: 4mp 1/3" sensor 0.0005 lux / f1.6

Correct me if am wrong plesse, It would apprear to me that both cameras would have the same light sensitivity however the 2mp having a slightly larger sensor and less mp will yield an image with less noise in low light conditions.

Daytime, the 4mp will give me more visual info.
There is no 1/3 sensor 4mp with that lux rating.
lux ratings cannot be compared across brands and even the same brand is not very reliable. They all play with the numbers.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is a shame if dahua isnt consistent with their cameras. Makes it sort of a guess game.

So far I have found that most 4 mp cameras are a good compromise. Although I have realized that the more MP the more noise in the footage at low lights. Correct observation?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a shame if dahua isnt consistent with their cameras. Makes it sort of a guess game.

So far I have found that most 4 mp cameras are a good compromise. Although I have realized that the more MP the more noise in the footage at low lights. Correct observation?
Dahua is very consistent. They also don't care about you as they don't want to sell to someone like you.
Most 4 megapixel cameras are terrible. There is a new hik line with 4 megapixel, that I have posted about with low light sensors but they are not yet available.
For good low-light quality you either need two megapixel star lights, Hikvision 3 megapixel low light, for the 4K dahua 1831 or 2831 with a 1 / 1.8 in sensors

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So who do they want to sell to?
This is good info that shoukd be added to the wiki.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sucks, but not I am not giving up my 6 digit day job. Thanks for you replies.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sucks, but not I am not giving up my 6 digit day job. Thanks for you replies.
Many good installers make more than you do. No one said anything about having to quit your job to buy dahua.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Post updated with part numbers and lux information. These are entry level but in regards to form factor they are as big as I can install on my house due to HOA contraints and paranoid neighbors.

Optical zoom is just awesome.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Post updated with part numbers and lux information. These are entry level but in regards to form factor they are as big as I can install on my house due to HOA contraints and paranoid neighbors.

Optical zoom is just awesome.
Both of those will not be great at night/low light.
Those cams have NO IR.
Optical zoom is a waste for 99.9 percent of people as you are not going to be sitting there maning the cameras 24/7.
There are starlight 203 mini dome ptz cams with IR and a much better sensor - they are smaller as well. But again, PTZ is a waste and can actually be a negative if you forget to move the camera back into position.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Optical zoom is a waste for 99.9 percent of people as you are not going to be sitting there maning the cameras 24/7."

there is some truth to that, but I have to disagree. Having the optical zoom combined with IVS is a great tool, plus it can even allow you to fine tune your view framing.
Only a complete newb would fall for that statement.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
"Optical zoom is a waste for 99.9 percent of people as you are not going to be sitting there maning the cameras 24/7."

there is some truth to that, but I have to disagree. Having the optical zoom combined with IVS is a great tool, plus it can even allow you to fine tune your view framing.
Only a complete newb would fall for that statement.
Its not a great tool. It does nothing for you. It cannot magically zoom in for you. motorized varifocal is used at the time of install for to "fine tune your view framing".
You are a complete noob that is why you have chosen an inferior sensor but chose ptz. You and every foscam customer have fallen for the gimmick that is ptz.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, to each its own. I like the PTZ, and let me tell you that after tweaking the camera setting im a getting a great usuable image out of the camera as we speak.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you arent willing to tweak the camera settings to squeeze its performance then you are better off getting an arlo / nest and being a sucker.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you arent willing to tweak the camera settings to squeeze its performance then you are better off getting an arlo / nest and being a sucker.
You can't tweak a mediocre sensor to be better than a good one. Even if yiu wanted to be foolish with ptz there are cheaper better dahua cams.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, but the point I am making is that most people just plug their cameras and don't spend the time to tweak them let alone look through the setting and set then up for the environment. So If thats they way they want go, go get an Arlo, ring or other brand made for those less technically inclined lazy plug-n-play sucker types.