n3wb
Reaction score
My alarm company is trying to convince me to
replace my DSC PC,832 with a Lynx 5100 panel with a
GSM cellular as the means to connect to the
monitoring center. I'm quite happy with my system
except that is uses the telephone line which can be
easily cut by a would be intruder. The Lynx panel
allows me to control my system (turn ON or OFF)
via the internet using the Honeywell app for my
iphone and it gives me a status of any open doors or
window. But that upgrade will come with some cost
I'm Just starting to search other options while
salvaging my existing system. I see that DSC sells a
Internet communicator. Can anyone enlighten me on
a PC1832 setup with a Internet communicator and if
there is any parallel features like the Lynx 5100 panel?
Mahalo.
CJ

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
your alarm company is trying to hose you. Send them packing. The envisalink 3 works with the 1832 panel. http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=176
They honey well system requires a monthly fee as well. There are cellular dialers for the DSC panels (dont recall of the top of my head). An remember you dont need to pay your alarm company for moniroing you can do it online for way less....see alarmrelay.com

cj10

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. They want to charge me $300 for the equipment and install plus a two year commitment for monitoring.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What are they going to do with your windows and doors? All of the your dsc transmitters will not work with the honeywell.

cj10

n3wb
Reaction score
I was told that they will use these so called translators that can handle if I recall correctly 8 zones. It does sounds the proposal will require more equipment and cost. But here what the $300 includes;

1 lynx 5100 for downstairs
1 keypad for master bd
2 wireless key fobs
3 translators
1 cell phone communicator setup
I wireless contact to replace the one I have to protect my outdoor shed

Sounds reasonable?

cj10

n3wb
Reaction score
For two years commitment it's $25 for the base monitoring and $20 for the cellular so a total of about $45

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, 300 is good cause the parts cost more than that. All you really need is the cellular and you can lose the phone line part. Or is that 25 for monitoring and 20 additional for the total connect?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats where they are making their money on the monitoring. Call alarmrelay...i dont remember precisely but i think cellular monitoring for the DSC systems are about 17 a month while its 22 or so with the Honeywell (honeywell charges them a premium). So basically they are charging you 900 dollars for this install.

cj10

n3wb
Reaction score
Correct. Total is $45. I was wondering if I could just go cellular. I can also go with ip connect but it's bells and whistle to arm and disarm , status report etc. if just cell wonder if there is a monitoring center out there to get me started.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The alarm company that quoted you 300, won't do your upgrade for 300 if you don't use them for monitoring

SanJosan

n3wb
Reaction score
Lynx5100, PC1832 Vs ELK M1G

I am trying to see if I can get some views from out there, as I search for a home alarm system.
I am new to this site and looking for some info. My home has an old Moose Z900 system that I would like to replace with a newer system that can still use the old wired door/window sensors, but I also would like to manage/monitor the system via Internet, such as via mobile app /iPhone.
From, some search I have done over Internet, I found out some of the recommended systems to replace the Moose were DSC1832, Ademco Vista 20P, Elk M1G etc. But I am not sure of their capabilities to manage/monitor over the Internet. I am not much interested at this time for an external company monitoring. I have also heard about the DSC TL260 and TL300 to connect the system to Internet but that doesn’t talk about monitoring via Internet or iPhone. So, I am not sure about their capabilities. I have also found out Elk M1G alarm system can be monitored/managed via Internet with Elk M1EXP Ethernet module. I am still trying to find out what will work the best for me.

Can anyone recommend a system that can be managed via Internet as well as that can work with the old wired sensors I have with Moose900.

Appreciate any help.
Thanks.

My alarm company is trying to convince me to
replace my DSC PC,832 with a Lynx 5100 panel with a
GSM cellular as the means to connect to the
monitoring center. I'm quite happy with my system
except that is uses the telephone line which can be
easily cut by a would be intruder. The Lynx panel
allows me to control my system (turn ON or OFF)
via the internet using the Honeywell app for my
iphone and it gives me a status of any open doors or
window. But that upgrade will come with some cost
I'm Just starting to search other options while
salvaging my existing system. I see that DSC sells a
Internet communicator. Can anyone enlighten me on
a PC1832 setup with a Internet communicator and if
there is any parallel features like the Lynx 5100 panel?
Mahalo.
CJ