mailbox cam - what LPR camera?

Reaction score
thanks @samplenhold for taking the time to walk me through the thought process. I'm also going to replace some of my 5+ year old bullet cams in the front and back so I'll take your advice and order a few models to play around with. Some with a little more "reach" than others and just figure out where to use the best cameras. This forum is a treasure trove of knowledge, and I am very grateful for everyone's response. One of the friendliest and helpful I've ever seen.

I'll spend some more time reviewing various models, pick 3-4 and start testing / replacing older cameras around the house.

Reaction score
I'll spend some more time reviewing various models, pick 3-4 and start testing / replacing older cameras around the house.
As @sebastiantombs stated as I was typing...In the Cliff Notes is a section that describes using a single varifocal cam on a test rig, and how to build that test rig. That is how I started out. It was with that single 5231 varifocal turret that I tested several positions and came up with my current set up. Currently have 11 different models being used based on the job as defined in their respective positions. I totally believe in fit-for-purpose cams and in testing before running cables and installing.

As far as your specific LPR location, I wonder what @bigredfish would give as feedback.

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For LPR purposes, the bigger sensor is irrelevant unless you have a ton of nighttime light that you can run color with high shutter speeds.

Keep in mind most companies are still using analog LPR cameras. The extra benefits of a bigger sensor would be wasted on this purpose. Heck, we are not using most of the capabilities of the Z12 as it is.

My neighbor is using this one with good success on his mailbox and didn't care so he didn't hide it LOL (car would have to be within 30 feet or so to get good caps - after about 40 feet the accuracy drops off):

bigger sensors are always welcomed. never irrelevant.
Night is when interesting things happen
Which companies are still using analog LPR cameras?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Have to agree with @samplenhold on all points. A standard varifocal 5442 or even 5231 might work being that close to the street, but remember you’ll be aiming for a focal point as close to straight on as practical, meaning your actual ideal point of capture may be a bit further than you think. The more straight on the more frames the plate is visible , and the least amount of angle is always best.

I would definitely get a cheap standard varifocal to test with if possible. With a max zoom of 12- 13mm you’ll be somewhere around 35ft give or take.

I’m an overkill kinda guy so I’d probably buy the Z4 (32mm) or Z12 regardless ;)

Reaction score
...does it make sense to get the less-zoomy IPC-HFW5442E-Z4E?
Always better to have the zoom option. I use zoom on my cameras to both get detail on the target and to avoid neighboring homes/windows. I have 13 cameras in a really nice neighborhood, 7 of which can be seen from the street if you know where to look.

Buying a camera with zoom allows you to punch in if you think you need to, or if you want to move the camera to a place where zoom is necessary.