Main/Backup camera settings mixup

sduser

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a handful of cameras, and have them logging to the BI computer (C: = SSD primary drive, D: = HDD storage drive) using the standard New/Stored/Alerts convention. I have also created duplicates of the cameras and have them logging to off site storage (Aux1).

What I find strange is the way the cameras are listed in the settings. I would assume the bitrate and sub bitrate in the boxes should all be in the same section, either "+backup" or "Other Cameras", not 3 in one and 2 in the other like it is now. I have searched through each camera settings and compared but I can't find any differences that would cause this. Seems to work ok, just my OCD kicking in.

Any ideas? It is probably something simple that I am missing.
Thanks!

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I think that it does that for cams that are either not assigned to a group or the only cam within a group.

sduser

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I just checked but that isn't the issue. All of the cams in the top section are hidden and assigned to the backup group. All of the cams in the bottom section are not hidden and not assigned to a group.

sduser

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like the issue (mostly) resolved itself. Probably due to one of the automatic updates.

The "+backup" cameras are hidden duplicates of the original camera instantiation/configuration ("Other cameras"). I would have expected the bitrate and sub bitrate to be populated under the original configuration. Oh well.

1663108558823.png

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like the issue (mostly) resolved itself. Probably due to one of the automatic updates.

The "+backup" cameras are hidden duplicates of the original camera instantiation/configuration ("Other cameras"). I would have expected the bitrate and sub bitrate to be populated under the original configuration. Oh well.

View attachment 139793
Disable automatic updates - you will get burned. Only install latest stable update as indicated on the update page.
Additionally, if you properly clone the camera only the master should show the bitrate. You are pulling multiple streams rather than only one. This puts more stress on the camera, your network (though its likely not close to capacity anyway) and the BI machine.

sduser

n3wb
Reaction score
Disable automatic updates - you will get burned. Only install latest stable update as indicated on the update page.
Additionally, if you properly clone the camera only the master should show the bitrate. You are pulling multiple streams rather than only one. This puts more stress on the camera, your network (though its likely not close to capacity anyway) and the BI machine.
Good to know thanks. I will disable automatic updates.

Is there a tutorial for properly cloning cameras? I have tried to clone in the past with limited success. I assume you would just clone the camera, then manually change the appropriate settings for the duplicate camera (hidden, disable alerts, disable audio, add to backup group, assign to clips/archiving, etc)?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good to know thanks. I will disable automatic updates.

Is there a tutorial for properly cloning cameras? I have tried to clone in the past with limited success. I assume you would just clone the camera, then manually change the appropriate settings for the duplicate camera (hidden, disable alerts, disable audio, add to backup group, assign to clips/archiving, etc?
After you clone, go to the original camera setting and check the Clone Master box and then make sure in the clone that this box is unchecked, otherwise you may be pulling the video feed twice and using up computer CPU.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As an aside, it is not necessary to hide the IP addresses, or names, of your cameras. We all use the same ranges of IP addresses in the 10, 172 and 192 range. Hiding the names is superfluous since they can't be reached in the first place, unless you're port forwarding which is a real security risk. The only IP address that needs to be hidden is the one facing "out" on your BI server that is assigned by your ISP, not you.

Last edited:

sduser

n3wb
Reaction score
It looks like the Clone Master box does not need to be checked to tell BI that the camera is cloned. From the manual, BI assigns it as a clone automatically if the IP address, video path and camera number are the same as another camera. This is true for my setup so I think I was good.

But... checked the clone master box for the master cameras - Success!

1663114482557.png

Last edited:

sduser

n3wb
Reaction score
As an aside, it is not necessary to hide the IP addresses, or names, of your cameras. We all use the same rages of IP addresses in the 10, 172 and 192 range. Hiding the names is superfluous since they can't be reached in the first place, unless you're port forwarding which is a real security risk. The only IP address that needs to be hidden is the one facing "out" on your BI server that is assigned by your ISP, not you.
I know, just a habit. I try not to post any (personal or private) information in a public forum that is not required. I am not too concerned with this though. And no I am not port forwarding.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know, just a habit. I try not to post any (personal or private) information in a public forum that is not required. I am not too concerned with this though. And no I am not port forwarding.
I think you misunderstood, there are millions of devices out there with the exact same local ip address as the ones you redacted. Even if you did port forward, the local ip address would be useless. There is no added security by doing so...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If the older guys are helping noobs in the forums, sometime we need to see what the WHAT!? they did...LOL