Mains Powered Cameras (UK)

cliver

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,
Is there such a thing as a mains powered camera available? Not battery with a charger connection but direct mains fed.
The reason I ask Is that I am looking to put a camera front and back of my property and there is already mains power there for existing outdoor lights.
Regards
Clive

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a mains powered camera available?
The common approach is to use what's known as a 'wall wart' that provides the 12v DC used by most IP and analogue cameras.
These are plentiful and cheap via your favourite on-line store.

cliver

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, yes I've seen plenty if those. I already have mains at the required points hence my question.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

cliver

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To be fair, if I'm running a new cable I'd lean towards a PoE solution I think.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do some research on Powerline adapters, also know as EoP, Some of these have a POE output that could power your camera.

These devices are generally not recommended but may get you out of a tight setup situation.

cliver

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do some research on Powerline adapters, also know as EoP, Some of these have a POE output that could power your camera.

These devices are generally not recommended but may get you out of a tight setup situation.
Not sure EoP would work to well as they are on outside walls. I was just trying to be lazy tbh. I'll probably go the PoE route as I'd like to avoid wifi if possible.

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mains power was a thing a long time ago, but it's much cheaper to make them DC, less parts and less regs and working on low voltage vs mains voltage is different certificates, so that's why you dont get them any more.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mains power was a thing a long time ago, but it's much cheaper to make them DC, less parts and less regs and working on low voltage vs mains voltage is different certificates, so that's why you dont get them any more.
I don't know about the UK. but even the cams here in the U.S. were low voltage AC , 24v as I recall, up to the cam's housing....that was in the 80's and 90's.
I never saw any CCTV with "mains" voltage (120 or 240 VAC) running into the housing. Of course, just because I didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't exist anywhere, just not in my tiny realm. :cool:

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The mains version would have a fixed cable.

Panasonic's, including a 120Vac version.

honeywell made some mains box cams, but again I think they were 220-240V so europe/mideast not a USA version.

Funny you mention 24Vac. May I please ask you a question:
Are dahua and hik (well not so much hik) making a mistake but switching to 36Vdc and not providing an upgrade path for 24vac installs for the larger PT/PT cams, or is PoE++ enough to over come that problem in the US market ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, that Samsung is an analog (composite out) cam of 600TVL, we likely won't see many here.

I cannot speak to the 36v transition issue on larger PTZ cams.

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh yeah, they're all old models, just throwing some examples out there. 600TVL, height of technology huh ;)