Major problems connecting to server from outside home network

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As of a few weeks ago I've been having issues connecting to my blue iris server from my android devices when not at home. I haven't changed any settings and I've checked and my external ip hasn't changed. Is this a known issue? I'm hoping there's a fix coming soon or is there something I can do?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As of a few weeks ago I've been having issues connecting to my blue iris server from my android devices when not at home. I haven't changed any settings and I've checked and my external ip hasn't changed. Is this a known issue? I'm hoping there's a fix coming soon or is there something I can do?
Are you using no-ip? there are reports of issues and a thread about it...use the actual ip address or another service...

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm just using the actual ip, though I am subscribed to changeip, I haven't bothered switching to it since mine has never changed. On the playstore there seems to be a lot of recent reviews in the past week about connectivity issues and it seems I'm one of them. Is this not wide-spread?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just using the actual ip, though I am subscribed to changeip, I haven't bothered switching to it since mine has never changed. On the playstore there seems to be a lot of recent reviews in the past week about connectivity issues and it seems I'm one of them. Is this not wide-spread?
I have tested on several servers with no such issues...

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just updated my BI server (noticed an update prompt) and it seems to have resolved my issues for now, I'll post again if they happen again.

funnycctv

n3wb
Reaction score
Myself and 2 other co-workers are having same issue. We can all use local or home wifi to see cameras just fine. As soon as we get on our data plans. Stops working. I have android At&t. The other 2 have Iphones At&t.

Can't wait to get to the office Monday morning to see if a update will fix it.

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Please let us know here if your issues were resolved with the update, mine went away "sort of", it still throws a "can't reach server" error when trying to login the first time away from home, but if I press the connect button repeatedly, it lets me in eventually.

TPanda123

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. Ever since the second last Blue Iris update I struggle to access my cameras from the Blue Iris Android application. Sometimes it is 2 retries and sometimes it's 20. It has become so annoying that I've started accessing Blue Iris from my Android browser. The last update improved things slightly, but I still have to retry multiple times.

It is interesting that I have no problem accessing Blue Iris remotely from the Android internet browser, (it works perfectly first time) but I struggle to access it via the Android application. I wonder if it has something to do with the security updates?
I really need the Android application to work again, because there are things I cannot do with the browser such as PTZ.

I use dynamic DNS and have the same URL setup in the Android application as in the browser. I have also tried using the IP address in the application, which also doesn't help.

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. Ever since the second last Blue Iris update I struggle to access my cameras from the Blue Iris Android application. Sometimes it is 2 retries and sometimes it's 20. It has become so annoying that I've started accessing Blue Iris from my Android browser. The last update improved things slightly, but I still have to retry multiple times.
Yeah, I'm in this exact same situation. I'm able to log in to blue iris from the android app, but only after several retries.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This could be the same problem that UI2 users are experiencing, if the Android app is just handling the error state differently. Blue Iris is intermittently failing to log you in.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There was a patch yesterday or today I think (4.5.9.4), but I don't know if it made any difference.

MistaBeak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Experiencing it all over again. "Unable to reach Server" In BI the remote wizard is green ticks all the way. No addresses have changed. Canyouseeme.org states it can see me. So why is this still going on ???

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Experiencing it all over again. "Unable to reach Server" In BI the remote wizard is green ticks all the way. No addresses have changed. Canyouseeme.org states it can see me. So why is this still going on ???
triple check your settings...I have not seen this..

MistaBeak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have more than triple checked my settings. There was nothing to change. I just re-booted BI (only) and installed the upgrade over the upgrade as I did a week and a half ago to the last version. Now without me changing any settings the Android app connected locally. So there has to be something buggy about the software. I haven't had a chance to connect over the WAN to see if it works yet.

Mr White

n3wb
Reaction score
Update of blue Iris fixed this for me.

Not using any port forwarding services like no-ip, Android version up to date.

I was getting constant error messages and took repeated attempts over cellular commection and interestingly enough through 4g mifi cellular commection. 2 different networks but worked most of when on local hotel WiFi.

After update works 1st time on all connections.

Trason806

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running server version 4.5.9.8 x64. android app version 2.0.45. I am having the same issues as DebrodeD. When I am connected to my internal WIFI network, my android app connects every time. When i am connected to my cellular network 4G LTE, I will almost always get the: Unable to Connect - Unable to connect. Please try again. Reason: Unable to reach server. If i continue to try it will eventually connect. I am not using any dynamic DNS things, just the actual WAN IP of my router. I have the port forwarded. When using the Remote access test, the Verified server is BlueIris. I cant see that this is a configuration error, because it connects eventually. If the setting were wrong it would never connect. This has been happening to me for the last few server updates.

mudcam

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running server version 4.5.9.8 x64. android app version 2.0.45. I am having the same issues as DebrodeD. When I am connected to my internal WIFI network, my android app connects every time. When i am connected to my cellular network 4G LTE, I will almost always get the: Unable to Connect - Unable to connect. Please try again. Reason: Unable to reach server. If i continue to try it will eventually connect. I am not using any dynamic DNS things, just the actual WAN IP of my router. I have the port forwarded. When using the Remote access test, the Verified server is BlueIris. I cant see that this is a configuration error, because it connects eventually. If the setting were wrong it would never connect. This has been happening to me for the last few server updates.
I'm having the same problem. I'm still on server version 4.5.9.7 but otherwise everything is the same. Not using a dynamic DNS either. If I repeatedly click on Connect it will eventually log in, never know if it is going to take 3 tries or 15. This has been occurring with at least the last 3 versions of the server software, not saying it is the server software but the problem has been out there for me for a couple months.

trev-man

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running server version 4.5.9.8 x64. android app version 2.0.45. I am having the same issues. I have found two thing to work around the issue. 1) Rollback the code to 4.5.8.0 this is what I have been doing since the issue started. when a new update comes out I try my luck and so far have done a lot of rollbacks. 2) If you want to run the latest and greatest update... 4.5.9.8 but want the android... this is what I found that works.. Change the default port from 8081 to 80 in the "Web Server" settings you'll need to set your router and phone to the same. Now this will paint a target on you for web traffic pinging " Are you a web page?" but until the true issue is resolved "banned IP / port?" this is a work around. I guess if you wanted to give your self some privacy and reduce the login attempts, you could move the contents of the www folder to a sub folder "www\cameras" ?? .... up too you... not sure how that will work with future updates.... I have not tried the port 80 on my in-laws x32 box.. it's working on 4.5.8.0 version " they can wait for the fix.. and I don't get a headache telling them why the change" Hang in there guys... BI will get it done...

Trev