Make the Event recordings as its own file. Doable?

tsutton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have set up my cameras to have "Continuous" recording.

When there is an 'Event' triggered, it has a Pre-trigger video buffer of 6 seconds and it is saved in the Alerts directory. All good.

But when I access the footage via the Blue Iris app on my phone, I can see a video there (for example, 15 seconds worth of footage) but when I tap on it to view it, the footage takes a while to load up and then shown me the footage.

It turns out that it was 'searching' for that specific alert in the correct time frame from the Continuous recording. Due to my slow Internet link, it does take a while for the footage to appear on my phone.

Question: Is there a way for the 'Event' that has been triggered to have its OWN file in its OWN timeframe clip that can be loaded up ITSELF to be viewed much quicker, while at the same time, have the CONTINUOUS recording to be continued to be recorded.

I've looked through the settings and I am unsure which areas to set this.

Is this doable?

Thanks all

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. Clone the camera and have that one set for just triggers. The other one set to continuous.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have set up my cameras to have "Continuous" recording.

When there is an 'Event' triggered, it has a Pre-trigger video buffer of 6 seconds and it is saved in the Alerts directory. All good.

But when I access the footage via the Blue Iris app on my phone, I can see a video there (for example, 15 seconds worth of footage) but when I tap on it to view it, the footage takes a while to load up and then shown me the footage.

It turns out that it was 'searching' for that specific alert in the correct time frame from the Continuous recording. Due to my slow Internet link, it does take a while for the footage to appear on my phone.

Question: Is there a way for the 'Event' that has been triggered to have its OWN file in its OWN timeframe clip that can be loaded up ITSELF to be viewed much quicker, while at the same time, have the CONTINUOUS recording to be continued to be recorded.

I've looked through the settings and I am unsure which areas to set this.

Is this doable?

Thanks all
Camera properties>record>cut when triggered...
Your slow playback is likely due to your internet speed or cpu is being maxed... this will not help...
lower the webserver bitrate

LostGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
Camera properties>record>cut when triggered...
I'm not sure this accomplishes what the OP is looking for, at least by my reading of the original post and the help file.

Blue Iris Help File said:
The Cut each time the motion sensor is triggered option forces the current movie to be closed and another created each time the motion sensor is triggered--the result is a hybrid of the Continuous and Motion sensor recording options.
As far as I can tell, the only way to accomplish creating a separate alert clip while maintaining a full continuous recording clip is to clone the camera and set it to record only when triggered. This is a bit of a bummer, since keeping the continuous clips intact is helpful for archival purposes, and it would make exporting alert clips a good bit more straightforward. I'd also worry that the overhead of this approach would significantly limit the number of physical cameras a BI box could support. Not sure if this is a limitation of the way BI handles files internally, or just a feature that's never been requested....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure this accomplishes what the OP is looking for, at least by my reading of the original post and the help file.

As far as I can tell, the only way to accomplish creating a separate alert clip while maintaining a full continuous recording clip is to clone the camera and set it to record only when triggered. This is a bit of a bummer, since keeping the continuous clips intact is helpful for archival purposes, and it would make exporting alert clips a good bit more straightforward. I'd also worry that the overhead of this approach would significantly limit the number of physical cameras a BI box could support. Not sure if this is a limitation of the way BI handles files internally, or just a feature that's never been requested....
sure does...its simply splits the continuous clip...if you read the OP in context it will do exactly what he wants.
Cloning the camera does not add any overhead...if you hide the cameras from the live view, which is what you want anyway..it will only pull and process a single stream from the camera - you can see this on the status page which the bitrate will be 0 on the cloned camera.
understand that alerts are not clips, they simply point to a position in the clip...like a bookmark.
you can clone the camera AND keep the original file "intact" by not splitting the file on the continuous camera..
recording both triggers and continuously separately makes no sense as it significantly increases your storage capacity requirements...
the OP has a completely different issue that is causing his problems.