Mark a certain minute of a camera? Flag/ trigger?!

daru84

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I try to mark a certain minute of a camera, maybe even save a period of a clip and protect it in BI but so far I couldn't find a good solution.

I can flag a certain clip, but my clips are 8h long (btw whats a good setting here?). And I can trigger a certain camera, but only live! Not in the clip.

I am sure there must be a better solution with this powerful tool!

Thanks ind advance!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I try to mark a certain minute of a camera, maybe even save a period of a clip and protect it in BI but so far I couldn't find a good solution.

I can flag a certain clip, but my clips are 8h long (btw whats a good setting here?). And I can trigger a certain camera, but only live! Not in the clip.

I am sure there must be a better solution with this powerful tool!

Thanks ind advance!
You either have to export the clip or protect the entire clip.

daru84

n3wb
Reaction score
You can easily export the section of the clip you need, see the help file.
Takes 2 minutes to export.
Thanks for your help! That's exactly what I ve searched for:

Editing Clips

The clip viewer allows you to edit clips by moving the two markers you see below the position slider--there's a green or "start" point and a red or "stop" point.

To make your edit permanent, click the Convert/Export button that's to the right of the black box or right-click the viewer window and click Convert/Export to remove the video that's both before the start point and after the stop point. You may choose to replace the current video or to create a new one. If you choose to replace, the video is automatically re-opened in the viewer.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you want to keep the original, don't select "replace." Your cut piece of video will replace the super long video. Presumably you want to export just a smallish clip, so select "create a new one." On those long videos it can be challenging to get those green and red triangle markers exactly where you want them.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Update: You can use the right-click menu in the viewer to set these points to the current video position, so you can use step/play/pause etc to adjust position. You may then assign these menu options to keyboard shortcuts on Options/Keyboard.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just FYI... I previously emailed a similar question to Ken... Here's the exchange

~~~~
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 12:35 AM
Subject: Re: after-the-fact trigger?

Very interesting idea! And I would probably add this today if I could ... but the way the database is created, events occur in chronological order, I have no way now to "insert" something in the middle. Maybe with a database repair it could be brought in, but that would be a hassle each time I would imagine. This is something for the long-term "drawing board"...

Take care

Ken

~~~~~
On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 4:42 PM, I wrote

Hi Ken,

Here's a scenario..
* I'm viewing an old clip and I see an event that was not triggered when it occurred, therefore there is no alert in the database.
* I would now like to "save" a pointer to this event -- that is, create a manual alert entry for it, and flag/protect it for permanent retention.
* Is this possible?

I suppose this might be the equivalent of issuing an after-the-fact 'Trigger Now' command during clip playback.

Is this possible now, or might it be a future feature?

(I am envisioning a new command on the clip playback right-click context menu.)

PS - I do understand that I can export a video segment of the event... but I'd really prefer to have a "pointer" to the event in BI's database.