max distance POE+

Discussion in 'Camera Installation Questions' started by trauts14, May 16, 2018.

Share This Page

1. trauts14

trauts14 Getting the hang of it

i cannot find much info online. does POE+ (802.3at) has the same max distance (100m) as normal POE (802.3af)? i need to install a POE+ cam 600 feet away from house and was hoping it would work with 1 POE+ extender.

2. TonyR

TonyR Known around here

And you may not find much regarding that because of variations in application will determine that max distance.

When compared to POE (802.3af), POE+ (802.3at) allows for more current, in Watts, to be available from the power source to the powered device on a per port basis. I think the figure is roughly an increase from 15.4W to 25.5W. When any form of POE is provided over UTP, the conductor gauge & material , device current draw, distance to the powered device from the power source and allowable voltage drop will determine the max distance.

This $70 unit is outdoor-rated and claims to be able add 100m of POE/POE+ Ethernet for a total of 200m / 656 feet ==>> here.

I cannot attest to it's reliability or operation.

trauts14 likes this.
  3. trauts14

Thank you. nothing to lose in trying. i also hope somebody can chime in with experiences.

4. bababouy

bababouy Getting comfortable

You may want to look into Dahua's ePoE technology in their cameras and recorders. They are supposed to handle data and PoE for 800m, eight times the normal distance of PoE. Dahua Technology Launches ePoE IP System

trauts14 and TonyR like this.
  5. trauts14

thank you. i really need a PTZ with good magnification, and i do not think the ePOE line offers such.

6. bababouy

If you are going to use a PTZ that is far away from your recorder, think of powering it locally and using a wireless antenna like the ubiquity nano stations to transfer data. They are about 70 bucks a piece on Amazon and will transmit up to 10 miles

mat200 and trauts14 like this.
  7. trauts14

i love unifi gear, and wish i had power at the install location. the install location is in the middle of a meadow. the only electrical is at the house......approx 600' away unfortunately.

8. TonyR

TonyR Known around here

If the OP has decent LOS, great idea considering NC could have some lightning (not like yours in FL). I love those Ubiquiti's!
    BTW, these below are 5GHz Locos @ $49 each. I have successfully used the higher power $70 NSM (non-Loco) 2.4GHz out in the boonies where there was less 2.4 crowding AND more vegetation/poorer LOS to punch through.

Layer2-Transp_Bridge_with_Cams.jpg

mat200 likes this.
  9. TonyR

TonyR Known around here

Dang!:facepalm:

trauts14 likes this.
  10. bababouy

You could set up a solar panel and a couple of batteries. For a 24v PTZ and the PoE injector needed for the nano station, I can't imagine that you would need to much power. I know that researching this would probably be the right answer, and everyone on here is going to go against this, but I would start with 2 deep cycle batteries, one or two good solar panels and a charging kit. Build a little vented but waterproof box for everything and see what happens. This may require some cheap beer in cans to execute properly.

11. TonyR

TonyR Known around here

Electrolyte for the human's batteries, eh? :rolleyes:

12. bababouy

cans always seem to go well with dumb ideas. Bottles are a little more sophisticated

bigredfish likes this.