max distance POE+

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i cannot find much info online. does POE+ (802.3at) has the same max distance (100m) as normal POE (802.3af)? i need to install a POE+ cam 600 feet away from house and was hoping it would work with 1 POE+ extender.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i cannot find much info online. does POE+ (802.3at) has the same max distance (100m) as normal POE (802.3af)? i need to install a POE+ cam 600 feet away from house and was hoping it would work with 1 POE+ extender.
And you may not find much regarding that because of variations in application will determine that max distance.

When compared to POE (802.3af), POE+ (802.3at) allows for more current, in Watts, to be available from the power source to the powered device on a per port basis. I think the figure is roughly an increase from 15.4W to 25.5W. When any form of POE is provided over UTP, the conductor gauge & material , device current draw, distance to the powered device from the power source and allowable voltage drop will determine the max distance.

This $70 unit is outdoor-rated and claims to be able add 100m of POE/POE+ Ethernet for a total of 200m / 656 feet ==>> here.

I cannot attest to it's reliability or operation.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And you may not find much regarding that because of variations in application will determine that max distance.

When compared to POE (802.3af), POE+ (802.3at) allows for more current, in Watts, to be available from the power source to the powered device on a per port basis. I think the figure is roughly an increase from 15.4W to 25.5W. When any form of POE is provided over UTP, the conductor gauge & material , device current draw, distance to the powered device from the power source and allowable voltage drop will determine the max distance.

This $70 unit is outdoor-rated and claims to be able add 100m of POE/POE+ Ethernet for a total of 200m / 656 feet ==>> here.

I cannot attest to it's reliability or operation.
Thank you. nothing to lose in trying. i also hope somebody can chime in with experiences.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are going to use a PTZ that is far away from your recorder, think of powering it locally and using a wireless antenna like the ubiquity nano stations to transfer data. They are about 70 bucks a piece on amazon and will transmit up to 10 miles

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are going to use a PTZ that is far away from your recorder, think of powering it locally and using a wireless antenna like the ubiquity nano stations to transfer data. They are about 70 bucks a piece on amazon and will transmit up to 10 miles
i love unifi gear, and wish i had power at the install location. the install location is in the middle of a meadow. the only electrical is at the house......approx 600' away unfortunately.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the OP has decent LOS, great idea considering NC could have some lightning (not like yours in FL). I love those Ubiquiti's!
BTW, these below are 5GHz Locos @ $49 each. I have successfully used the higher power $70 NSM (non-Loco) 2.4GHz out in the boonies where there was less 2.4 crowding AND more vegetation/poorer LOS to punch through.

Layer2-Transp_Bridge_with_Cams.jpg

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
You could set up a solar panel and a couple of batteries. For a 24v PTZ and the PoE injector needed for the nano station, I can't imagine that you would need to much power. I know that researching this would probably be the right answer, and everyone on here is going to go against this, but I would start with 2 deep cycle batteries, one or two good solar panels and a charging kit. Build a little vented but waterproof box for everything and see what happens. This may require some cheap beer in cans to execute properly.