max height installation of Amcrest IP4M-1028EW dome camera

edenbensal

n3wb
Reaction score
i've bought amcrest IP4M-1028EW and i want to install it on my front elevation of my house. i've attached a pic of my house and mark with red circle where i want to install the camera.
i'm afraid that the location is too high so i want to ask what is the max height installation of this camera to be able to see the entrance path

thank!

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An excerpt from the first page of IPCT's Cliff Notes in the Wiki (above):

"Mount cameras < 8 feet high to get a good angle for potential identification."

7 feet is optimum. You could use a tip found in those notes: Put a wooden 2x4 in bucket of rocks and temporarily mount the camera to it. Or a chair, a piece of pipe and nylon wire ties...whatever you need to do in order to try out various locations and heights BEFORE drilling the stucco, mounting holes and running cable. Run a long, flexible Ethernet patch cable from your switch out the window or door and across the ground to the camera, they're not that expensive...and it's just long enough to get a good idea where the best place is to mount your camera.

Put on a hoodie and walk up to your door to see if you can see your face well enough to make an ID.

That cam can be powered not only with a 12VDC power supply but also by POE. Be sure to use solid copper, not CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) for your CAT-5e or 6 cable, rated for the application. Use CMR rating for in-wall and between floors. I'd suggest a matching mounting box to minimize the size of hole and putting the cam's pigtail in the box, running your own cable and terminating it yourself with the RJ-45 male connector, that way you only need a 3/8" hole for the cable; the pigtail is at least 3/4" diameter (twice as big).

I believe Amcrest sell their box that fits it here but I believe it's a Dahua PFA-136, available other places for much less money. That cam is a re-branded Dahua.

Good luck!

And welcome to IPCT! :wave:

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If it's possible to swap it, swap it for the turret version. Far better outside than domes. With domes you'll get reflections and the dome will eventually get affected by the sun and cloud over.

I think that's the equivalent although it's hard to tell as few specs are published: Amcrest UltraHD Outdoor 4-Megapixel PoE Vandal Dome IP Security Camera - IP67 Weatherproof, IK10 Vandal-Proof, 4MP (2688 TVL), IP4M-1055E (White)

There's a dome outside where I work, it's like a misty window (been there about 4 yrs).

edenbensal

n3wb
Reaction score
An excerpt from the first page of IPCT's Cliff Notes in the Wiki (above):

"Mount cameras < 8 feet high to get a good angle for potential identification."

7 feet is optimum. You could use a tip found in those notes: Put a wooden 2x4 in bucket of rocks and temporarily mount the camera to it. Or a chair, a piece of pipe and nylon wire ties...whatever you need to do in order to try out various locations and heights BEFORE drilling the stucco, mounting holes and running cable. Run a long, flexible Ethernet patch cable from your switch out the window or door and across the ground to the camera, they're not that expensive...and it's just long enough to get a good idea where the best place is to mount your camera.

Put on a hoodie and walk up to your door to see if you can see your face well enough to make an ID.

That cam can be powered not only with a 12VDC power supply but also by POE. Be sure to use solid copper, not CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) for your CAT-5e or 6 cable, rated for the application. Use CMR rating for in-wall and between floors. I'd suggest a matching mounting box to minimize the size of hole and putting the cam's pigtail in the box, running your own cable and terminating it yourself with the RJ-45 male connector, that way you only need a 3/8" hole for the cable; the pigtail is at least 3/4" diameter (twice as big).

I believe Amcrest sell their box that fits it here but I believe it's a Dahua PFA-136, available other places for much less money. That cam is a re-branded Dahua.

Good luck!

And welcome to IPCT! :wave:
thanks for your quick answer!

1. what is CMR?
2. how can i be sure that the ethernet cable is solid copper and not CCA? it's write on the cable itself? or I need to cut it to know? for example Luggar CAT5E-50-GRY is ok?
3. what is exactly re-branded? i've already have one amcrest camera outdoor and it's ok so far. the Dauha camera is more expensive than Amcrest..
4. this POE injector should be ok? TL-POE150S | PoE Injector | TP-Link

If it's possible to swap it, swap it for the turret version. Far better outside than domes. With domes you'll get reflections and the dome will eventually get affected by the sun and cloud over.

I think that's the equivalent although it's hard to tell as few specs are published: Amcrest UltraHD Outdoor 4-Megapixel PoE Vandal Dome IP Security Camera - IP67 Weatherproof, IK10 Vandal-Proof, 4MP (2688 TVL), IP4M-1055E (White)

There's a dome outside where I work, it's like a misty window (been there about 4 yrs).
unfortunately i cant swap it but next time i will buy the turret camera.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. It's the cable's jacket rating. CMR is rated for Riser (in walls, floor to floor, ceilings, NOT outdoor).
2. "CAT5E-50-GRY" is a very general catalog number, used by many vendors. Sounds like a pre-made 50 foot gray patch cable. You'd have to check the manufacturer's specs to be sure.
If it doesn't have "CMR" on the jacket anywhere or if it DOES have "CCA" on the jacket I would not use it except during testing.
3.Amcrest is made by Dahua, as well as is Lorex, Q-see, Flir, Annke and perhaps 2 dozen more. An OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) such as Dahua often does NOT offer the same features in the re-branded cameras that they offer in their own Dahua brand.
4. Yes, that's a decent unit, will handle one camera such as yours.

Regarding patch cables and bulk cable: I'd use patch cables indoors for typical network interconnects (PC to router, router to switch, etc.) and for testing; I would not run in walls, between floors and certainly not outdoors.

Bulk cable without connectors requires a smaller hole and a properly chosen jacket can be run in-wall, between floors and some can be run outdoors and/or for direct burial. You don't have to buy a 1,000 or 500 ft. roll of CAT-5e, it can be had by the foot at Home Depot and Lowes, etc. ...just insure that the jacket meets your requirements. You want solid copper (not stranded), and not CCA.

At the same stores you can get the appropriate RJ-45 connectors, 10 to 12 in a box. Insure they are for solid conductor. The crimping tool can be purchased there as well for a premium price, online or here.
Get a cheap cable tester here as well.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

edenbensal

n3wb
Reaction score
i've found a long Ethernet cable and on the cable write: "PATCH CORD CAT.5E FTP STRANDED 24AWG 4PAIRS ANSI/TIA/EIA 568/B UL LISTED"
i've attached also a image.
English isn't my native language so sorry for the misunderstanding.

if i understand you correct you said that i'll need to change the RJ45 connector?

i've watched this video and know i think i understand what you talk about

Attachments

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As stated above..."Regarding patch cables and bulk cable: I'd use patch cables indoors for typical network interconnects (PC to router, router to switch, etc.) and for testing; I would not run in walls, between floors and certainly not outdoors."

• Only cut off the RJ45 on the patch cable if you want a small hole, which likely means you are going through a wall or ceiling which is not recommended for "patch" cable.
  • Use CMR rated cable (usually on a reel or by the foot) for going thru walls and ceilings, then of course you'd have to crimp on your connector.
  • Patch cables are mean to be indoors, or for a short time outdoors when testing a camera mounting location.

edenbensal

n3wb
Reaction score
As stated above..."Regarding patch cables and bulk cable: I'd use patch cables indoors for typical network interconnects (PC to router, router to switch, etc.) and for testing; I would not run in walls, between floors and certainly not outdoors."

• Only cut off the RJ45 on the patch cable if you want a small hole, which likely means you are going through a wall or ceiling which is not recommended for "patch" cable.
  • Use CMR rated cable (usually on a reel or by the foot) for going thru walls and ceilings, then of course you'd have to crimp on your connector.
  • Patch cables are mean to be indoors, or for a short time outdoors when testing a camera mounting location.
ok i got it now. thank you so much!