Maximum image quality setting help

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have two 2332s and would like to know what video settings would give me the best image quality for playback and still images. Here are my current settings... thanks!

Attachments

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Some quick tips to start:

Turn up resolution to 3MP from 1080p (unless you have a reason), turn bitrate up to 8192.

Image enhancement WDR @ 50 is way too high and will cause too much noise. Drop it to around 10.

You're going to have to post a screen capture after that if you want more help tweaking it.

phoenixone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Some quick tips to start:
Image enhancement WDR @ 50 is way too high and will cause too much noise. Drop it to around 10.

Just a heads up. He listed Digital Noise Reduction @50. Not WDR.
His WDR is currently set to off.

:)

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @Del Boy... One quick thing I noticed... changing to 2048x1536 caused the image to be pretty distorted with a very noticeable horizontal stretch and slightly less FOV compared to 1920x1080. Is that expected, see screen caps.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ah... nice one Phoenixone... misread that. (try setting WDR to 10). I suspect at night the foreground is incredibly bright and the background (grass area and trees) isn't well lit?

Yeah that's normal for the 2.8mm lens. The only reason 1080p doesn't look like that is because you are clipping the photo. The sensor is 3MP and changing the settings to 1080p won't improve things like lower noise or night-vision etc as it would if you were to change it for a 1080p sensor of similar size.

If you zoom into 100% and copy and paste the 1080p onto the 3MP image, you will notice that it is almost identical.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@Del Boy... this is a 4mm camera. I will try the WDR setting and see how it looks. I'm still not sure about the resolution and FOV differences. Going to have to experiment some more. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Del Boy... this is a 4mm camera. I will try the WDR setting and see how it looks. I'm still not sure about the resolution and FOV differences. Going to have to experiment some more. Thanks
Hikvision cameras will have a wider horizontal fov in 1080p mode...I run most in 1080p..there is negligible improvement in clarity going form 1080 to 3mp because most of the pixels go to the additional vertical fov.
Aside from that, there is another issue..both your images, but particular the 3mp image is improperly saved/captured...click on image properties and you will see an improper resolution...
Hikvision 3mp images will be 2048x1536 which should appear 4:3 (almost square) not 16:9 or widescreen like yours...maybe the nvr/software/browser needs a reboot when you change resolutions...

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @fenderman... is this more of what you would expect? The previous screen captures came from the live preview when accessing the cameras directly by their IP via a web browser. These captures came from Sighthound and the second one is 3MP.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In terms of aspect ratio yes...though sighthound or your screen capture software is lowing the quality of the image..if you refresh the browser after the resolution change it should resolve your problem..

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@fenderman... I did a refresh and that's as good as it gets. I was just about to email them about it and see how to improve it. This capture is directly from the MacBook running Sighthound from the "Live" view window. Seems pretty low res to me.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I meant refresh the browser so you can see the proper image in the browser itself...yes they may be reducing the image quality to reduce the load..

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Here are my latest settings... everything is set to default except for as noted below in the screen captures. Only thing I wonder about is 20 fps, seems like motion would be a bit jumpy compared to 30 fps. Thoughts?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
20fps is not jumpy and in fact overkill..15 is a sweet spot..
Also now that you have more vertical view, you might want to aim the camera down so that the IR reflection off the soffit does not cause the camera to dim...

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@fenderman... thanks, I'll make the adjustment tomorrow now that the FOV has changed, that's good to know. I guess where I'm coming from is that video is recorded at 29.97 fps and anything less would be jumpy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman... thanks, I'll make the adjustment tomorrow now that the FOV has changed, that's good to know. I guess where I'm coming from is that video is recorded at 29.97 fps and anything less would be jumpy.
here is a comparison

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@fenderman... thanks for the video. I certainly can't tell any difference between 30 fps and 15 fps. Appreciate it!

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the video ! Even 5fps still looks pretty good to me. @fenderman: what surveillance software are you using?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman... I did a refresh and that's as good as it gets. I was just about to email them about it and see how to improve it. This capture is directly from the MacBook running Sighthound from the "Live" view window. Seems pretty low res to me.
Sighthound scales the monitor view and search view to the window size you are viewing it on. For instance, if you have a 1280x1024 video viewing in a window at 640x480 then it will downscale your view accordingly. Only way to see the true quality of the video feed in Sighthound is to export the video from the Tools menu. You can also see the quality you are getting by going direct to the camera feed in a browser window.

FYI - I believe that Sighthound also does all of its motion algorithm based on 320x240 resolution regardless of the resolution coming from the camera.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @ruppmeister... how do I set the viewing window scale. I'm running it on a MacBook Pro Retina so I should be able to get a real nice, clear live view... right?