Milestone cs blueiris

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which one would be better for home use I do love feature rich programs. What sets milestone above blueiris?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which one would be better for home use I do love feature rich programs. What sets milestone above blueiris?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BI has been notorious for high CPU usage. Milestone can help with that and playback on Milestone kills BI, especially when your doing 8 cams of playback simultaneously. PTZ controls are a bit more refined with Milestone as well. Also depends on the number of cameras you have in mind.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BI has been notorious for high CPU usage. Milestone can help with that and playback on Milestone kills BI, especially when your doing 8 cams of playback simultaneously. PTZ controls are a bit more refined with Milestone as well. Also depends on the number of cameras you have in mind.
The high cpu usage is overblown..most systems need nothing more than a modern i5 and many even an i3 though the price and power consumption difference is negligible...blue iris can easily playback 8 cameras simultaneously..milestone is nice but its options on the free version are limited. Only 8 cams, no two way audio, no archive to nas. Milestone also does not have advanced motion detection options like zone crossing etc..
Milestone does have a full client which is nice to have.
If op has less than 8 cameras the best thing is to install both side by side. More than 8 cams as milestone becomes very expensive..

Last edited:

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4 thats including 1 ptz so far may do a couple installs for insdie probably maxing out at 8.

What does milestone do better as far as a ptz is concerned.

I have a gen 6 i7 so i dont think i should worry about overworking the cpu.

Last edited:

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Having played with the new version of XProtect Essential, it definitely beats BI when it comes to CPU usage even with motion detection engaged. However, BI has way more options and its mobile app is far smoother.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I tried the free milestone version a while back, and then tried BI.
I wanted to be able to read IO (like a house alarm or external motion sensor) and it didn't seem like the free MS supports that, but BI could.
So I went with BI and never looked back.

Since MS is free, and you can try BI for free, try both and see what works for you.

johnnydec1

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried the free milestone version a while back, and then tried BI.
I wanted to be able to read IO (like a house alarm or external motion sensor) and it didn't seem like the free MS supports that, but BI could.
So I went with BI and never looked back.

Since MS is free, and you can try BI for free, try both and see what works for you.
Yes I will give it a try
thanks

kailibuy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have purchased BI but found it is very unstable with 12 cameras installed. The program crashes all the time and CPU/RAM usage is outrageous. If you follow the talk on the site, you will hear people say to install BI on a computer but nothing else. Come on, what software demands such a strange requirement?

BTW, I have 8th generation I7 and 32g RAM on this brand-new computer built to run BI. Even when it's about the only thing running, BI still freezes up and crashes.

I'm trying xprotect essential. The interface looks much different, but image quality seems to be good. The problem is, I have 12 cameras...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have purchased BI but found it is very unstable with 12 cameras installed. The program crashes all the time and CPU/RAM usage is outrageous. If you follow the talk on the site, you will hear people say to install BI on a computer but nothing else. Come on, what software demands such a strange requirement?

BTW, I have 8th generation I7 and 32g RAM on this brand-new computer built to run BI. Even when it's about the only thing running, BI still freezes up and crashes.

I'm trying xprotect essential. The interface looks much different, but image quality seems to be good. The problem is, I have 12 cameras...
That is because you are suffering from an Intel memory leak...as noted above...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
right... and that intel memory leak only happens with blue iris
WRONG it will occur with any application decoding h.264 using quicksync. Even milestone.
HERE IS A THREAD IN THE MILESTONE FORUM THAT VERIFIES THAT
https://supportcommunity.milestonesys.com/s/question/0D50O000049u3UiSAI/memory-leak-in-xprotect-client-10135141?language=ru

it happenS ONLY with the 6th-8th gen and ONLY with CERTAIN intel drivers. I have over 20 blue iris installs and NEVER had a problem. Install the proper drivers and its all good.
But if you want to pay milestone for features that are basic functions of BI, then its your choice :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
right... and that intel memory leak only happens with blue iris
I can neither confirm nor deny that. Sure, lots of apps use Quick Sync Video and without anybody reporting memory leak or rising CPU usage problems. But those apps use Quick Sync in very different ways.

* Blue Iris uses only the H.264 decode functions, but makes extremely heavy use of them. It processes multiple (potentially dozens of) streams simultaneously and never stops until you manually shut it down or the system crashes.
* Open Broadcaster Software uses only the QSV encode functions, typically to encode only one stream in realtime for no more than a couple of hours. It might experience no leak at all because it uses an entirely different part of the QSV API.
* A transcoding app like ffmpeg could use QSV decode and/or encode functions for all the supported video formats, but again, it will typically be dealing with no more than a few hours of video from only one stream before the process shuts down, releasing any leaked resources before there is time for a problem to build up and be noticed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can neither confirm nor deny that. Sure, lots of apps use Quick Sync Video and without anybody reporting memory leak or rising CPU usage problems. But those apps use Quick Sync in very different ways.

* Blue Iris uses only the H.264 decode functions, but makes extremely heavy use of them. It processes multiple (potentially dozens of) streams simultaneously and never stops until you manually shut it down or the system crashes.
* Open Broadcaster Software uses only the QSV encode functions, typically to encode only one stream in realtime for no more than a couple of hours. It might experience no leak at all because it uses an entirely different part of the QSV API.
* A transcoding app like ffmpeg could use QSV decode and/or encode functions for all the supported video formats, but again, it will typically be dealing with no more than a few hours of video from only one stream before the process shuts down, releasing any leaked resources before there is time for a problem to build up and be noticed.
Bp2008, see my above link that shows that Milestone has the same problem..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, indeed. Other VMS software would use QSV in the same way as Blue Iris of course, and therefore would be far more likely to suffer the same problems.