Milestone XProtect alternatives?

ptr727

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I currently run Milestone XProtect Express with 8 paid licenses using 7 cameras, mixture of Axis and Hikvision all in ONVIF mode.
I run the Windows based XProtect software on a Server 2016 HyperV VM, and I archive the motion detected video to a file server, keeping 90-days of data.

I was visiting my father in law, and the security company was installing a Hikvision DVR for his many analog cameras, I had a look at equivalent NVR's for ONVIF, and I am surprised by how good and easy to use the software is, and how cheap it is, compared to my paid XProtect system.

Are there any all-in-one embedded style NVR software packages, i.e. my VM as hardware, but an OS + NVR in one?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I currently run Milestone XProtect Express with 8 paid licenses using 7 cameras, mixture of Axis and Hikvision all in ONVIF mode.
I run the Windows based XProtect software on a Server 2016 HyperV VM, and I archive the motion detected video to a file server, keeping 90-days of data.

I was visiting my father in law, and the security company was installing a Hikvision DVR for his many analog cameras, I had a look at equivalent NVR's for ONVIF, and I am surprised by how good and easy to use the software is, and how cheap it is, compared to my paid XProtect system.

Are there any all-in-one embedded style NVR software packages, i.e. my VM as hardware, but an OS + NVR in one?
Sorry but the hikvision NVR's are nowhere near as good or versatile as milestone.....and no...the standalone nvr's are extremely limiting..

ptr727

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, fair point.

I've tried some of the open source apps like Shinobi and ZoneMinder, but in terms of complexity of configuration and maintenance, they are no better than having to install and manage Windows, and XProtect, and SQL Server.

Are there any soft appliance versions of paid products, i.e. runs as VM or Docker container, web managed, self updating, supports archiving to NAS, I am ok paying up to $50 per camera per year.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, fair point.

I've tried some of the open source apps like Shinobi and ZoneMinder, but in terms of complexity of configuration and maintenance, they are no better than having to install and manage Windows, and XProtect, and SQL Server.

Are there any soft appliance versions of paid products, i.e. runs as VM or Docker container, web managed, self updating, supports archiving to NAS, I am ok paying up to $50 per camera per year.
Shinobi and zoneminder are both garbage...
there is no need to maintain or "manage" windows...not sure what you are referring to...windows requires the exact same level of management as a standalone NVR....exacq will run on linux, so will digital watchdog....
many of us here run blue iris as it is only 60 dollars...
the entire point of a vms is that it provides tons of configuration options not available on a traditional nvr....you will not find an NVR with the features you want...many companies offer appliances with their vms installed but all they are doing is charging you for an expensive pc..

ptr727

n3wb
Reaction score
there is no need to maintain or "manage" windows...not sure what you are referring to...windows requires the exact same level of management as a standalone NVR
Windows updates, SQL server updates, NVR app updates, vs. a virtual appliance form-factor that updates all in one for me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Windows updates, SQL server updates, NVR app updates, vs. a virtual appliance form-factor that updates all in one for me.
you dont have to run any windows updates...here's the deal...all devices exposed to the internet require updates...however they will never be 100 percent secure....to maximize security you need to run VPN..if you run a vpn windows updates are not required.....standalone NVR's have TONS of vulnerabilities, if you are not running a vpn they would need to be patched as well..except the manufacuters are VERY late in patching updates if ever - leaving you exposed...finding and applying the proper update is time consuming...you are no better off the a standalone appliance than an nvr...vms software is quick and easy to patch and manufactures are generally very quick to release them...
you would NEVER want an appliance that auto updates....you need to be in control and determine when an update takes place...there is a little thing called Murphy's law that is very prevalent in surveillance ...you dont want it updating when you are not home..

Frankydp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Even with the limitations, the Synology Security Station has still beatin out other software options for me. Getting the benefit of a NAS and a server with the setup is a big plus, such as the NAS being able to run docker, a VPN, and a NTP. Setup is exponentially simpler than milestone, without all the hyper complicated workflows, and none of the arbitrary license limitations.

Active funded development by a company is also hard to beat.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Even with the limitations, the Synology Security Station has still beatin out other software options for me. Getting the benefit of a NAS and a server with the setup is a big plus, such as the NAS being able to run docker, a VPN, and a NTP. Setup is exponentially simpler than milestone, without all the hyper complicated workflows, and none of the arbitrary license limitations.

Active funded development by a company is also hard to beat.
you have obviously not used other software...all that could run on a pc...

Frankydp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
/s Obviously.

I was referring to the ease of use for a ecosystem type solution, as opposed to a self directed and managed solution, which usually results in less tinkering. I appreciate your idealism, and agree that a correctly self managed and implemented server is the most secure, but for most users it is not the best option and will generally not be correctly implemented. For me (as I mentioned) Surveillance Station is a good balance of functionality, time, effort, and security.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With the money you're spending on milestone, you could buy a dedicated pc and run BI on it.
Buy BI once, and no more costs.
Although with 7 cameras, can't you run the free version of milestone?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
/s Obviously.

I was referring to the ease of use for a ecosystem type solution, as opposed to a self directed and managed solution, which usually results in less tinkering. I appreciate your idealism, and agree that a correctly self managed and implemented server is the most secure, but for most users it is not the best option and will generally not be correctly implemented. For me (as I mentioned) Surveillance Station is a good balance of functionality, time, effort, and security.
It takes no more skill, time or effort to implement a pc based solution than it does with SS...none whatsoever...SS is no more secure than a pc.. all SS does for you is cost more money and offer way less flexibility, and yes, obviously...

Frankydp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Once again, I agree with you. Not sure where all the hate is coming from.

I didn't imply that SS was more or less secure. Only that the ecosystem and usability may be valuable to laymen users.

Was just sharing that I am happy with my solution, and the OP was asking for input.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Once again, I agree with you. Not sure where all the hate is coming from.

I didn't imply that SS was more or less secure. Only that the ecosystem and usability may be valuable to laymen users.

Was just sharing that I am happy with my solution, and the OP was asking for input.
Once again you are incorrect...SS is no easier to use, setup etc than pc based vms options...milestone is not the only vms out there...there is no "ecosystem" benefit to SS, none at all...
Dont get sarcastic with me then ask where the hate is coming from.