Mini Dome/Wedge Wiring Question

namtrab

n3wb
Reaction score
I will be getting a mini dome/wedge camera soon (namely, IPC-HDBW4231F-AS Starlight). Here is my wiring question for these wedge cameras.

Is there enough space within the camera housing to keep the pigtail (and the ethernet connection coming from my home), or must the pigtail be routed outside of the camera housing to make the connection? Where I plan to mount the cam, pushing the pigtail into the wall is not possible. Ethernet cable will be routed using conduit externally on the wall, up to the camera. I'm just trying to determine if there is "storage space" inside the camera housing for the pigtail (and connection), or if I will need to mount some type of junction box near the camera for the pigtail/connection (or perhaps just sliding the pigtail/ethernet connection directly into the conduit). Thanks!

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
there is not enough space. This is a sore point with me on almost all of the cameras where 3/8" more base depth would allow it to be hidden within. You will need at least 3/4" x about 2x2 more space.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm watching this thread because I'm interested in the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS Starlight as a front door (5 ft high mounted facial recognition) solution. Don't want to bust through the brick so I'll have to route and mount on the surface instead. Painting the cam/conduit/j-box to 'match' the brick could be done tactically/tastefully I suppose... want the camera/mount to be as slim-line as possible about a foot above the No Soliciting sign.dfyu.jpg

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To create more space to tuck in the wires on the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS Starlight (or similar low profile cams), has anyone fashioned a wood block like 5" X 5" plywood into a donut shape and mount to that?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To create more space to tuck in the wires on the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS Starlight (or similar low profile cams), has anyone fashioned a wood block like 5" X 5" plywood into a donut shape and mount to that?
Hi RobertM,

I thought about something similar - but for my location it would have not given me enough room so I had to drill a larger hole through the wall.
( which of course does not work well with brick )

I also looked for a low profile outdoor rated electrical box but found none easily.

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since you're running conduit why not use the PFA139 junction box?