Mini PTZ with POE + High Ambient temps failures

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
There is a potentially an issue with high ambient temperatures and using internal(built-in) POE. If yours failed please share your details here.

I haven't had any failures in mine because in my area temps have been mild, as a matter of fact we had a very cool summer this year.

Note, newer cams are now being shipped without internal POE, instead they provide external POE splitter which indicates they had number of failures.

Also if you have one of those cams running using internal POE and live in the areav with high ambient temperatures I would recommend consider using external POE splitter to avoid potential failures. This active splitter been proven to be compatible with those cams and I am personally using one myself:

https://www.amazon.com/iCreatin-ethernet-Splitter-Adapter-Compliant/dp/B00SM196AE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469133684&sr=8-2&keywords=poe+active+splitter+12v

New external POE splitters that are now included with latest shipments from Jack (Imporx):
I don't know if other sellers are on board with offering external POE, but this is Jack's store where I am getting mine: http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/TtC2rLw

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

viziers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I talked to jack and was told mine shipped with the external splitter and the FW is IMX322.. I'll find out how long this cam lasts as it has been in the 100*F here the last few weeks with it getting to 103* at times...

vizi

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]JACK CHAN
2016-07-21 20:19

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]hi
External POE is more stable than the built work. Easy to replace if damaged. Also built POE temperature is too high, it will affect the stability of his work. All I will revise all external POE power supply.

[/FONT]

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Will highlight this again that high ambient temperatures combined with excessive heat from internal POE module will kill these cams as confirmed by the seller. Get external POE.

In terms of how hot does it have to be I don't know, but I wouldn't take my chances if temperature is above 85 degrees and cam is in direct sunlight.

viziers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Will highlight this again that high ambient temperatures combined with excessive heat from internal POE module will kill these cams as confirmed by the seller. Get external POE.

In terms of how hot does it have to be I don't know, but I wouldn't take my chances if temperature is above 85 degrees and cam is in direct sunlight.
Not so good news for people in the south like me where temps lately have been 103+ degrees in the shade....

Of course mine is inside where it is at a nice 75* strapped to my chair while I get all the settings sorta correct and so I can play with it.

vizi

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
As long as you are using external POE, but keep us posted if anything. I just mounted one of mine with provided external poe on the roof with direct sunlight all day long and we just getting hot weather, but I am not worried.

viziers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As long as you are using external POE, but keep us posted if anything. I just mounted one of mine with provided external poe on the roof with direct sunlight all day long and we just getting hot weather, but I am not worried.
Will do. I am hoping that these last as I would like to outfit my system with a few of these as I noticed if you go under the configuration tab and the image tab then to the "other" tab you can increase the zoom to 100x however I have it set to 20x instead of the 10X and so far it can focus with no problems. I hope to get the cam ouside in the next few weeks.

vizi

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Will do. I am hoping that these last as I would like to outfit my system with a few of these as I noticed if you go under the configuration tab and the image tab then to the "other" tab you can increase the zoom to 100x however I have it set to 20x instead of the 10X and so far it can focus with no problems. I hope to get the cam ouside in the next few weeks.

vizi
Anything over 10x will be a digital zoom, which is completely worthless for security purposes. Leave it at 10x, you can digitally zoom in later. This way you will cover more area with the camera.

viziers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anything over 10x will be a digital zoom, which is completely worthless for security purposes. Leave it at 10x, you can digitally zoom in later. This way you will cover more area with the camera.

That is great to know thank you!

vizi

stoney7713

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm going to throw this in here because when I switched to a POE splitter it resolved the issue.

My V2 4x had a stuck image, PTZ still worked, tried reboots, powered down, restore defaults. Image went to vertical lines, switched to a POE splitter and it resolved the image problem. Works ok now(minus the poorer night image compared to my other cams.)

Southern Indiana lots of Sun and Rain high humidity and temps 95+ heat index 105+ in the past few weeks

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Southern Indiana lots of Sun and Rain high humidity and temps 95+ heat index 105+ in the past few weeks
Not trying to be picky or a jerk or anything, but just wanted to point out for future reference (because many don't know this) that the heat index is useless when it comes to hardware. Heat index is simply a human skin parameter based on the body's ability to cool itself by evaporation of sweat. Higher humidity makes sweat on our skin slower to evaporate, thus less ability to cool our skin, making it "feel" to our body hotter than it actually is if the air were dry. Since a camera doesn't sweat, it has no source of evaporative cooling, so it "feels" the same to the camera no matter if the humidity is high or low. The key concerning factors for the camera is heat by direct radiation from the sun (particularly extreme when the camera is exposed to direct sunlight), followed by air temperature (ground heated by absorbing direct radiation and transferring it to the air above by conduction), then the addition of heat generated by the electrical components in the camera.

Those are the 3 primary factors that add up to excessive heat for the camera and the goal is to reduce as much from those 3 factors as possible.....Keeping it away from ground surfaces (like asphalt) that will conduct a lot of heat to the air above and blocking as much sunlight from reaching the camera as possible for our part, and reducing the heat build-up of the electrical components on the manufacturer's part (such as making the POE external).

Last edited by a moderator:

stoney7713

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Heat index is used as a reference and why they do not affect the temperature of the hardware they do point to the environment they are exposed to which is why I included it.

Personally I would rather have my electronics (IP66 but we try to protect them from moisture still) be in a 95 degree dry heat then a 95 degree moist wet environment. It does play a factor in our electronics in how quickly the moisture is wicked away by the saturation in the air.

I could also state the camera is placed on the north west corner of the house beneath the eave so it receives no sunlight till very late in the evening and then it's fairly indirect.

One last thing, the night image was also slowly degrading to the point I was about to replace the camera. Since switchingto the external it has improved back to the original quality.(still not great but better) maybe the POE was slowly dying.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Personally I would rather have my electronics (IP66 but we try to protect them from moisture still) be in a 95 degree dry heat then a 95 degree moist wet environment. It does play a factor in our electronics in how quickly the moisture is wicked away by the saturation in the air.
Perhaps if relative humidity were near 100% inside the housing and water was condensing on the electronic circuits, that could present a problem...but an outside relative humidity of 20% verses 60% will not have an impact. Also have to remember that it's "relative" humidity, which is the ratio of vapor density to saturation vapor density....Vapor density being the mass per unit volume of actual water vapor that is present, while saturation vapor density being the maximum amount of water vapor density allowed for a given temperature (this value increases with increasing temperature)..Even in a tropical environment, there's only about 20 to 35 millibars of water vapor, while temperatures in the 90s/low 100s will support a good 50 to 75 millibars of water vapor....The added heat inside the camera housing will significantly increase the saturation vapor density to likely well over 100 millibars, while not changing the actual vapor density (since the camera does not produce additional water vapor itself)...Thus your relative humidity inside the warmer camera housing will be lower (perhaps significantly lower) than the relative humidity of the outside air. Definitely not dealing with a moisture problem here. These cam failures are obviously purely an ambient temperature issue.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
We had 96 yesterday, Longse s500 gave up, but Huisuns are fine using external splitter.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We had 96 yesterday, Longse s500 gave up, but Huisuns are fine using external splitter.
Before we knew about this issue, I actually ran my version 1 with internal POE at 96 degrees one day. Yikes! :livid: Guess I was lucky it didn't fail. I'm sure not chancing it as-is at those temps again.

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Knock on wood..internal poe+ working just fine past few months..my gps in car has shut down a few times though. Of course under eave but not to sure direct sun and high heat wouldnt fry most electronics?.??

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Been 101 average here.under eave.using internal Poe.working fine so far.:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
It's all speculation, but the heat from POE may slowly damaging other internal components, so it may work fine or it may start giving up like I am dealing with Longse camera now. It was "working fine" until recently when we had heat wave, the poe was inside the box when this happened. I moved the poe module outside, but it's still going offline when it's hot. And the camera never was in the direct sun light, it also sits under eaves.

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe the non poe+ works but gets hotter if not enough juice? Anyone fry one with poe+?