Mini-Review - 5442-Z4E-S3 AKA B54IR-Z4E S3 - Replacement to the 5442-Z4E

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The camera installation need to adjust the angle, need some angle.
View attachment 198988
View attachment 198990

Here just some setting idea, need to adjust based on your using environment.

View attachment 198989
Thanks for the replying. I should have been more clear... I am not trying to capture license plates. Maybe in the future, but for now, just an overview in that FOV trying to capture general color and style of vehicle.

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same comments I posted in your other post. Add more light and lower NR.
Comments from my 5442 post

"OK, I guess I didn't think of distinguishing the objectives of the different cameras. For the 5442's in my driveway, I think I would want to focus on IDENTIFY a person coming toward the house. I did not post a video of that but I took one i think and it was pretty good. So maybe I don't need to tweak the settings on the driveway 5442 then. Like you always say, different settings may be needed for each camera to meets the objective i want. I didn't think of it that way."

With that said, I think for this Z4 I want to capture as good as shot as I can of passing vehicles. So I have a tendelux illuminator I can add to give more light. I'll force the illuminator to 100 and reduce NR. What is causing the lap across the street and lights on vehicle to "blow out"?

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But Use IR mode, not really can watch the color of the cars. Style is easy to watch.
Yea, i meant light or dark colored car (not actual colors). Just trying to clean up the IR image I posted. Like Witt said i need more IR light and a few other things, at least that's how I understand it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is just glare that will be seen on even the most expensive cameras - you can see that kind of phenomenon on the hundreds of thousands of dollars movie cameras watching a movie as well.

Making the shutter faster will reduce it, but that can then make the image too dark and you miss what you are trying to capture, so you have to find that balance between capturing what you want to capture and it not being too annoying to you. Remember the goal of these cameras are to capture objects, not create a still photo to enter in the County fair LOL. If there is some bloom around a lamp post, so be it.

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Un
That is just glare that will be seen on even the most expensive cameras - you can see that kind of phenomenon on the hundreds of thousands of dollars movie cameras watching a movie as well.

Making the shutter faster will reduce it, but that can then make the image too dark and you miss what you are trying to capture, so you have to find that balance between capturing what you want to capture and it not being too annoying to you. Remember the goal of these cameras are to capture objects, not create a still photo to enter in the County fair LOL. If there is some bloom around a lamp post, so be it.
Agree and understood. Its not bad, I just wasn't sure if there was a setting I missed to reduce it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You're videos really arent too bad.

I would speed up the shutter and add more IR. Use manual IR 100% and maybe add some external.

I find to really freeze 30mph vehicles it takes 0-5 at least even 0-4 exposure
You will have to increase Gain though and add more IR
Then you'll have to play with NR to get it as good as you can with as little noise as you can

You can play with HLC backlight which will help reduce the glare of the headlights (thats what its for), but it also darkens the overall image some.

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're videos really arent too bad.

I would speed up the shutter and add more IR. Use manual IR 100% and maybe add some external.

I find to really freeze 30mph vehicles it takes 0-5 at least even 0-4 exposure
You will have to increase Gain though and add more IR
Then you'll have to play with NR to get it as good as you can with as little noise as you can

You can play with HLC backlight which will help reduce the glare of the headlights (thats what its for), but it also darkens the overall image some.
Thanks for the reply. On that Z4, I am running 0-4 shutter, but I can increase gain and try to add a IR illuminator and see if that helps . I thought of screwing with the HLC, but I did read it darkens images so I was worried about that. I'll keep fiddling and see what I can do. Thanks!

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Aight @wittaj @bigredfish, change of plans for the Z4E maybe.....LOL I think I might have found a spot for it to identify plates....fingers crossed! What do you think of the daytime shot? Does you think it has potential at night? I am at full zoom right now. Capture is as cars are approaching a stop sign in a 25mph zone so Im guessing they will be traveling 15-20 at the time of capture. Distance to target is about 60ft. I have some play to angle camera left or right a bit.

I would love if I can make this work to capture plates.. No sense just gets color as style of cars (like I said in my previous comments), lets get that PLATE!!! What do you think?

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, its iffy for me. It can be done, but you'll struggle with that angle. The more you can move it right the better and lessen the angle. Then you'll probably need supplemental IR .

Others here do this with bad angles, as seen in your clip you can get most of the daytime plates, but night is a whole new world. Can you get "some"?, sure. Can you get 95%+? I doubt it

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Aight @wittaj @bigredfish, change of plans for the Z4E maybe.....LOL I think I might have found a spot for it to identify plates....fingers crossed! What do you think of the daytime shot? Does you think it has potential at night? I am at full zoom right now. Capture is as cars are approaching a stop sign in a 25mph zone so Im guessing they will be traveling 15-20 at the time of capture. Distance to target is about 60ft. I have some play to angle camera left or right a bit.

I would love if I can make this work to capture plates.. No sense just gets color as style of cars (like I said in my previous comments), lets get that PLATE!!! What do you think?
What is your Audio settings? I would disable any Noise Filtering...

My 5442:
1721510118663.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im a little confused...was this comment meant for me?
Yes, just curious, your sound on your video sounded like mine did before I disabled the Noise Filter...without it On, my audio improved alot...but this is on my 5442, I know some of the newer Cams there have been some post of bad audio...
This is if audio matters to you...of course if you LPR you won't need Audio...

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, turn off the noise filter for audio. That's what is causing odd sounding car.
Oh, OK. I did not even listen to the video with sound so I wasn’t sure what you’re talking about. Lol I will change that setting. Any thoughts on the position for potential capturing plates at night?

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, just curious, your sound on your video sounded like mine did before I disabled the Noise Filter...without it On, my audio improved alot...but this is on my 5442, I know some of the newer Cams there have been some post of bad audio...
This is if audio matters to you...of course if you LPR you won't need Audio...
Oh, OK. I did not even listen to the video with sound so I wasn’t sure what you’re talking about. Lol I will change that setting. Any thoughts on the position for potential capturing plates at night?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I am trying to find a Thread that is very informative about LPRs on how to position them. I thought the Thread was started by @samplenhold
I will post it when I find it...
Just the basics, you will be using a varifocal Cam and focusing in on a fixed location on the street. Think of how Toll LPRs work. The angle of the Cam is important.

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, its iffy for me. It can be done, but you'll struggle with that angle. The more you can move it right the better and lessen the angle. Then you'll probably need supplemental IR .

Others here do this with bad angles, as seen in your clip you can get most of the daytime plates, but night is a whole new world. Can you get "some"?, sure. Can you get 95%+? I doubt it
OK sir. I will keep angling the camera to the right a bit and capture some plates and report back. I do have an easy ability to add IR at this location. Tix for input.

cpd5215

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I am trying to find a Thread that is very informative about LPRs on how to position them. I thought the Thread was started by @samplenhold
I will post it when I find it...
Just the basics, you will be using a varifocal Cam and focusing in on a fixed location on the street. Think of how Toll LPRs work. The angle of the Cam is important.
Yeah, I know there is a whole thread on LPR advice. I was just spitball here and sitting if this may work. I appreciate your help.