Mini-Review - 5442-Z4E-S3 AKA B54IR-Z4E S3 - Replacement to the 5442-Z4E

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I totally think this camera can do that field of view in color at night with your light. That is about perfect - straight on, close, having to stop or close enough to stop.

My distance is a lot further, but with digital zoom I could read many of the plates in color at night. Not enough in my situation to rely on it or use the camera for that function, but I certainly think this camera gets us to the point that we may start being able to get color captures in the right situation, which would negate out the issues we have of the newer 3M plates, people spraying the plates, etc.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
For those interested in distances, I paced off another distance this morning. It is the far parked car on the right in the photo. From the rear license plate of the car to the front of my LP2 camera it is 77 steps or 154 feet. The plate number is 7LDF727. This camera is at full zoom and that is the size of the plate that you would be looking at, at that distance. Now the plate on the parked truck on the left is 60 steps or 120 feet. License plate number 8H62033.

121623PM LP2 Unreadable Plate.jpg

Last edited:

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I walk around my housing tract, I can spot the license plates that people have put a coating on to try and defeat the reflection qualities of the plate.
You too, huh? Sometimes when a clean vehicle drives by my house on a consistent basis and has a license plate that the cameras choke on, I'll be able to locate the vehicle on my daily walks and check further.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm thinking on getting one of these, but not 100% committed yet. I'd be pushing it at 100' to where I needed it, but if I could run it color 24/7, then that would obviously help tremendously.

That would leave me with a 5241-Z12E that I'm not using. Most likely wait until spring if I do decide to get one. I absolutely hate putting these up in cold weather. lol

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
@Parley I know (think) I asked this before - are you sure you can't get one or more of those to run in color? You have way more light than I do and you have better angles and shorter distances than I do and I would think a 1/500 shutter could probably get plates in color for at least one of those cams?
To help speed up the process when I get the camera, maybe you can tell me what specifications you are running for your full color LPR camera.

1. For the working mode are you running Customize Scene or Day/Night switch?
2. For Day/night, do you have that in auto or specifying color for both day and night?
3. What else should I know?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To help speed up the process when I get the camera, maybe you can tell me what specifications you are running for your full color LPR camera.

1. For the working mode are you running Customize Scene or Day/Night switch?
2. For Day/night, do you have that in auto or specifying color for both day and night?
3. What else should I know?
I was only testing it as full color - I don't have the the angle or distance to make it a viable solution, but working on trying to do so now that I know these cams are capable of not a lot of light needed.

I was running the same setup as the B/W, just changed it to force it in color and slowed the shutter down to where I had a half a chance at being able to capture.

1/250 gave me the best overall image, but the plate was a blur. 1/500 I got that wave roll you are are familiar with but could make out about half the plates with digital zoom.

Plates with working plate lights could be read with digital zoom, it was the ones without that got iffy.

But I am going to be trying some other things here the next couple days in my quest for color plates.

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any chance someone with the "big brother" Z4E can confirm the poor snapshot image quality that I'm seeing on the "little brother" ZE?

Super simple - just take a snapshot using the web interface and then surf to USERNAMEcolonPASSWORDampersandIP/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi

The former should be a multi-megabyte PNG and the later a couple of hundred KByte JPEG ... but the image quality is MUCH worse than one would expect from typical compression, plus there appears to be a lighting push, especially in the shadows.

Details in this thread.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any chance someone with the "big brother" Z4E can confirm the poor snapshot image quality that I'm seeing on the "little brother" ZE?
I have latest 5442H-Z4E-S3 (H not E) and all snapshots (from cgibin, from main page, from pictures modules) are very compressed.

They have big compression banding... like from most compressed Youtube movies :)

It don't react at quality level settings in Picture module...

It looks like firmware problem. You should ask Andy to report this problem to Dahua engineers...

Last edited:

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It looks like firmware problem. You should ask Andy to report this problem to Dahua engineers...
Thanks for the response and it sounds like it's not specific to the "little brother" ZE ... which makes sense because this would not be a device specific function - i.e. might be part of the Web5.0 release - is that what it is called?

There are some super-experienced Dahau users on this thread, so hoping they will chime in - maybe best to do on the thread I started about this issue that includes images clearly showing the issue.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@wittaj What are your recommendations for day and night settings to start with with the IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3? My house is very little to no light. Thank you!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
should’ve read this thread before my purchase, i ordered these from Andy just a few days ago lol EmpireTech IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 1/1.8" CMOS 4MP IR Starlight Vari-focal Tur
As @bigredfish pointed out, the ZE you purchased is an incredible camera as well.

I often say that every camera has a purpose, and a great location for the ZE is potentially a less than ideal location for the Z4E and vice versa.

Basically the only difference between the two (other than one is a turret and the other is a bullet) is the focal length that determines how far away you can zoom in and get a tighter field of view for identify. Personally I recommend IDENTIFY up to about 30 feet with the ZE at full zoom and about 65 feet with the Z4E at full zoom. Some people prefer to cut those numbers back, while others feel like the distance can be stretched.

Here is the review thread on the ZE:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@wittaj What are your recommendations for day and night settings to start with with the IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3? My house is very little to no light. Thank you!
Obviously every field of view and situation is different, but in terms of getting the most out of the camera, here is my "standard" post that many use as a start for dialing in day and night that helps get the clean captures and help the camera recognize people and cars. These were my starting settings for this camera.

Start with:

H264
8192 bitrate
CBR
15FPS
15 iframes

Every field of view is different, but I have found you need contrast to usually be 6-8 higher than the brightness number at night.

We want the ability to freeze frame capture a clean image from the video at night, and that is only done with a shutter of 1/60 or faster. At night, default/auto may be on 1/12s shutter or worse to make the image bright.

In my opinion, shutter (exposure) and gain are the two most important parameters and then base the others off of it. Shutter is more important than FPS. It is the shutter speed that prevents motion blur, not FPS. 15 FPS is more than enough for surveillance cameras as we are not producing Hollywood movies. Match iframes to FPS. 15FPS is all that is usually needed.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-4ms exposure and 0-30 gain (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared or white light.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night static image results in Casper blur and ghost during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

In the daytime, if it is still too bright, then drop the 4ms down to 3ms then 2ms, etc. You have to play with it for your field of view.

Then at night, if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 16.67ms (but certainly not above 30ms) as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image. But try not to go above 70 for anything and try to have contrast be at least 7-10 digits higher than brightness.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible.

After every setting adjustment, have someone walk around outside and see if you can freeze-frame to get a clean image. If not, keep changing until you do. Clean motion pictures are what we are after, not a clean static image.

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ditto what @bigredfish and @wittaj said that I'm sure @eggy you'll be happy with the T54IR-ZE-S3 camera. I certainly am ... and in fact, just ordered a second camera ... plus have already switched to it at Watching Grass Grow ... ;-)

LOL for cat lovers that here's a 12 second time-lapse from last night showing a cat checking out the Christmas Lights.
Note this was done from API captured JPEG's ( I reformatted the SD card this morning before I realized that was there) so per this thread, the quality would be better if from the saved video.

@bigredfish : those images look great ... BUT ... can you please try grabbing a snapshot via the CGI interface and compare?
You can easily do this by surfing to USERNAMEcolonPASSWORDampersandIP/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi

How does THAT image quality compare to the images that you posted earlier?

I.e. is it "just me" (being new to Dahua and doing something "wrong") that is seeing much lower quality from these (@steve1225 also reported pretty bad banding) ... or is there something about the firmware that needs adjusting?

Just trying to gather data to see if a real issue ... and if so, provide information to @EMPIRETECANDY to be helpful - maybe best to chime in on the thread I started about this issue that includes images clearly showing the issue.