minimum specs to run Milestone?

Reaction score
should I plan on getting an i5, or would an i3 be sufficient?

I'm assuming that the CPU load depends on the number of cameras and resolution?

Or is the H264 encoding offloaded to the video card somehow?

Thanks a bunch

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
should I plan on getting an i5, or would an i3 be sufficient?

I'm assuming that the CPU load depends on the number of cameras and resolution?

Or is the H264 encoding offloaded to the video card somehow?

Thanks a bunch
how many cams? regardless, the cost between the two is minimal, its always best to have more than less...also i5 is a meaningless term...there is a huge variation in performance an efficiency between models/generation. Use onboard intel hd for efficiency.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the resolution on the cameras you are using?

Reaction score
If I can add there are a few things that you will need to know when designing hardware for Milestone.
- Camera qty
- Resolution
- Frame Rate
- Percentage of Motion or Fulltime recording whichever you choose
- How many days you intend to store your recordings.

Colmcille mentioned that he had issues with HDD throughput which is often the first thing that most people overlook when designing a VMS system.

There are some great tools out there that you can use such as "The IP Video System Design Tool" for storage and bandwidth and from there you can work out your HDD throuput.

I hope this helps.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
May I ask why not run blueiris it's really the best software for security cameras.. is it the $60.00 ??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1. For me in my situation electricity is extremely expensive in the daytime, i.e, economy 7. So I get very cheap electricity at night for 7 hours, but in the daytime it is very expensive. I cannot run a big rig that I would need for BI 24/7 and pay for the electricity. I realise that would not be an issue everywhere in the world.
2. The big box I would need for BI would be easy to find in a burglary.
3. Noise from a big box means my German Shepherds won't hear the burglar as soon as I would like them to. No point having watch/guard dogs if I compromise one of their sensors.
4. Noise from a big box means background noise in my recordings, and that means I won't enjoy the recordings as much, i.e, the sound of the burglar noticing the dogs, pooping themselves and the sound of pee trickling down their trouser leg as they realise they're IN DEEP SHIT NOW! o(*.*)o
5. Personally, at the end of the day, I just like Xprotect. It makes me feel fuzzy inside. A bit like my car...it gives me a hard-on. My wife does that too, but she may not be your cup of tea. There are other choices of dog I could use for watch/guard dogs, but I like Working Line German Shepherds. I wanted a German Shepherd since I was a small boy before I went to school many decades ago. I grew up with big Bull Mastiffs for guard dogs and Fox Terriers for watchdogs to wake the Mastiffs up. That combination did the job very well too. I dare say BI does it's job very well too. It's just a personal preference for me at the end of the day. ;)
There is absolutely no noise coming from a modern system even a tower and you can run BI on a mini system as well... Actual power use is virtually the same....A larger PC is much never going to be taken in a burglary... Local storage is best...
That said if you run 8 cams or less, and don't mind the some limitations of essentials..milestone is a great program and free...