Missing motion triggers sometimes

dison4linux

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been struggling with motion detection for months, so I don't think its tied to a particular release, its just me not getting the settings right.
I have a camera pointed at my driveway, sometimes it will trigger on us leaving, sometimes not, sometimes it will trigger on us coming home, sometimes not.
What baffles me is that when I run the continuous footage through the "Testing & Tuning > Analyze with motion detector" then it puts a box around the van and shows it moving for at least a couple seconds, the whole video even gets the orange box around it as if its being triggered, but no alerts show up. I've looked at the log, its not like its being cancelled by DeepStack, there's simply no motion detection being triggered in the log at all.
I feel like I've got the settings tuned way towards the overly-sensitive end ... in favor of false positives...
I see that we're up near the upper edge of the frame, possibly outside the blue box on the Motion sensor settings... how do you make the blue box bigger?
I'll post some screenshots of the video in question and some relevant settings, let me know what else I can provide. Thanks in advance.

1625018398920.png
1625018473555.png1625018485863.png1625018557736.png1625018613062.png

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can't make the blue box any bigger (edit: as Wittaj points out below, you can make the box bigger).

Nothing wrong with those settings that I see.....but you should post all your deepstack settings, both in BI and Cam properties to see if you're missing anything. If you haven't already, learn how to analyze the .dat file for that camera/time of the capture you posted....upload the graphic and we should be able to tell you if DS is malfunctioning or if your settings are amiss.

Edit: your contrast is a bit high in your trigger settings for my taste, but your setting seemed to have captured the car out front just fine.

Last edited:

dison4linux

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
DeepStack isn't in use at all, I just know a lot of people use it, and that's one of the main reasons that a "trigger" wouldn't turn into an "alert" ... if DeepStack cancelled it.
But in my case, no DeepStack in play here at all, I'm just baffled as to why the camera seems to have been "triggered" but yet no "alert" came out of it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You make the blue box bigger by unchecking the "object size exceeds" box, or making the 67% a larger number.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you using direct to disc recording?
Camera fps and iframe match (i.e. 15 fps and iframe interval 15)
Have you tried using the 'simple' vs 'edge vector' algorythm?
.db and New folders on the same drive?
How's your CPU usage with BI running?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Shouldn't the box be selected for the tab "Object detection" ( Object Travels (pixels) )?
Nope. This section of BI that includes "object travels" and the "object size exceeds" are used to knock down false triggers, and this person has the opposite going on.

None of my cameras use this section of BI. These are used if you have a field of view where you get for example headlight bounce off a hill or bugs at night or rain with IR and you are trying to knock out false triggers. I have been able to dial in my field of view and motion settings that I do not need to use these boxes.

My recommendation is to start with these two unchecked and these two boxes should only be used if you are getting too many false triggers, otherwise you may miss actual triggers.

Someone here once wasn't getting any vehicle triggers at night and it was because his field of view would momentarily get blinded by headlights and these were checked and canceled out the trigger. Once he unchecked them, he got alerts for vehicles passing his house at night.

dison4linux

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you using direct to disc recording? Yes
Camera fps and iframe match (i.e. 15 fps and iframe interval 15) Yes
Have you tried using the 'simple' vs 'edge vector' algorythm? No, but I will try it
.db and New folders on the same drive? No, DB is on SSD, and New is on Surveillance Grade HDD
How's your CPU usage with BI running? 10-15% almost all the time

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you using direct to disc recording? Yes
Camera fps and iframe match (i.e. 15 fps and iframe interval 15) Yes
Have you tried using the 'simple' vs 'edge vector' algorythm? No, but I will try it
.db and New folders on the same drive? No, DB is on SSD, and New is on Surveillance Grade HDD
How's your CPU usage with BI running? 10-15% almost all the time
I hope you have good luck with the algorithm, fyi, the help file advises keeping .db and New on the fastest local drives. Not that your setup is a problem, just hoping you don't have any hiccups. I had .db on my SSD and New on my WD Purple; once I put them on the same drive, it seemed to resolve some periodic issues (with saving alerts) I was having. I'm not sure what others are doing, but I've put both folders on my WD Purple to avoid a lot of reading/writing to my SSD.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hope you have good luck with the algorithm, fyi, the help file advises keeping .db and New on the fastest local drives. Not that your setup is a problem, just hoping you don't have any hiccups. I had .db on my SSD and New on my WD Purple; once I put them on the same drive, it seemed to resolve some periodic issues (with saving alerts) I was having. I'm not sure what others are doing, but I've put both folders on my WD Purple to avoid a lot of reading/writing to my SSD.
Nope, you should put the DB on the SSD, and all video on the Purple.
As outlined here:

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been struggling with motion detection for months, so I don't think its tied to a particular release, its just me not getting the settings right.
I have a camera pointed at my driveway, sometimes it will trigger on us leaving, sometimes not, sometimes it will trigger on us coming home, sometimes not.
What baffles me is that when I run the continuous footage through the "Testing & Tuning > Analyze with motion detector" then it puts a box around the van and shows it moving for at least a couple seconds, the whole video even gets the orange box around it as if its being triggered, but no alerts show up. I've looked at the log, its not like its being cancelled by DeepStack, there's simply no motion detection being triggered in the log at all.
I feel like I've got the settings tuned way towards the overly-sensitive end ... in favor of false positives...
I see that we're up near the upper edge of the frame, possibly outside the blue box on the Motion sensor settings... how do you make the blue box bigger?
I'll post some screenshots of the video in question and some relevant settings, let me know what else I can provide. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 93965
View attachment 93966View attachment 93967View attachment 93971View attachment 93972
turn off high definition
lower min contrast to 13.
Set Object Size Exceeds to 30%, this helps keep false trips from clouds pass over.

dison4linux

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried the simple profile instead of the edge vector and things work exactly the same as I mentioned in the original post.
The camera feed gets the orange box around it as if it has been triggered, the van gets the yellow box around it as if it has been identified as the moving object but about 1/3 of the time no alert gets triggered.
It is only when seeking back through the continuous footage that I can see the event when the van came/left. Even in the playback of the continuous feed, the camera gets the orange box as if it was triggered.
But in the log, absolutely nothing shows up near that time stamp.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I tried the simple profile instead of the edge vector and things work exactly the same as I mentioned in the original post.
The camera feed gets the orange box around it as if it has been triggered, the van gets the yellow box around it as if it has been identified as the moving object but about 1/3 of the time no alert gets triggered.
It is only when seeking back through the continuous footage that I can see the event when the van came/left. Even in the playback of the continuous feed, the camera gets the orange box as if it was triggered.
But in the log, absolutely nothing shows up near that time stamp.
Did you also try changing the settings I posted above?

dison4linux

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
High Definition was already off (must be the default 'cause I didn't change it and I don't even really know what it does)
The other two settings you mentioned would help with false positives, I'm having a false negative.... Well... sorta
Like I said, everything I can find shows that the camera is being triggered (orange box around camera, yellow box around object), but its just not always being converted into an alert.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What version are you running? Many have reported similar issues with some recent BI updates? Those that have had issues like this are rolling back to the latest stable version.

Your screenshot shows high definition checked?

Remember as well that the tuning option is to help, but doesn't mean 100% correlation between what you see in tuning and live triggering.

I have seen the newer updates seem to require a zone, even if it is just A and you put the letter A in the object crosses zone box and check it.

1625410219654.png

Are you running DS on this?

dison4linux

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh, yeah you're right...
Not sure how that got like that.
Since the original post, I've re-installed BI on a newer computer because I'm also having issues with choppy playback of recordings.
On the new installation High Definition is off and I don't remember changing it in either case.
Currently I'm on 5.4.9.4 but this issue with missing motion events has been happening for the last several minor releases.
No, I'm not using D.S.
I'll try adding the "A" and see what happens.