Missing option to test Email sending on my Hikvision 7716 NVR with 3.3.4?

msqr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Wanted to try and set up email notifications. I have a bunch of Hik cameras connected to a Hik NVR. My understanding is because of connecting the cameras to POE, I can't have the cameras send email directly since the NVR doesn't act as a gateway for them, right?

In which case, I was trying to set up email alerts on the NVR itself. It seems like I've set up everything (smtp.gmail.com port 465 for SSL, enabled account access for less secure apps) on the email page, and on the motion detection pages on the NVR for each camera ("Send email", "Notify surveillance center") - however, I'm not getting any email alerts. NVR is getting its IP, Subnet mask and Default gateway from my Router.

On the NVR it seems like I'm missing the option to send a test email. Do folks with a Hik cam + Hik NVR + gmail setup have any tips on how to further troubleshoot? Many thanks in advance!

Korgoth

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Try manual DNS configuration. Use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of Hik cameras connected to a Hik NVR. My understanding is because of connecting the cameras to POE, I can't have the cameras send email directly since the NVR doesn't act as a gateway for them, right?
Well, a bit fiddly, but certainly possible.
You need to set the NVR PoE interface (by default =192.168.254.1) as the camera's default gateway. And that also means the you need to set the PoE port to 'manual' instead of Plug&Play so the NVR doesn't set it back to the NVR LAN interface default gateway.
And you need 'Virtual Host' available and enabled on the NVR to that the NVR Linux kernel has 'IP forwarding' active between the 2 interfaces.
And you need to tell your router/LAN default gateway that the route to network 192.168.254.0 is via the NVR LAN interface.