Mixing Chinese and North American NVR and Cameras??

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision DS-7632N-E2/8P NVR (FW V3.0.8 build 140825) and 2 DS-2CD2032 cameras, all bought through AliExpress.

Given the issues with accessing branded Hikvision cameras from AliExpress, I am looking to buy some additional cameras in North America. Will I run into any problems connecting a new North American POE camera to my Chinese purchased NVR?

Will 4MP cameras work with the NVR?

neilyboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do not fully rely on my reply as there may be work arounds. From what I have found you will run into issues. I had purchased a 7014 NVR from Ebay (Chinese region). I wanted to then purchase US cams from milkisbad here on the forums. Luckily he alerted me that I may have issues and allowed me to try his demo cam to see if my nvr would accept it. It did not it gave me region mismatch errors. I then purchased another cam from aliexpress (Chinese region) which I was able to hookup and worked out of the box. I would save yourself the headache and deal with the vendor you had success with before (even though I would highly encourage you to purchase from milkisbad as the support I received from him was fantastic). Just my two cents.

I have been dealing with a gal from the old CCTV Camera Wholesale. They now operate under the name of Secure Life Surveillance System. I have purchased three 2032's from her over the past two weeks (one just to try them out - it arrived DHL in under 36 hours). So I just purchased two more last night. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-V5-2-5-DS-2CD2032F-I-replace-DS-2CD2032-I-1080P-POE-with-SD/32468322283.html
Neil

Last edited by a moderator:

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Neil... are the cameras you received non-branded Hikvision?

Can anyone tell me if 4mp cameras will work with a Hikvision DS-7632N-E2/8P NVR?

neilyboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No they are hikvision branded with 2.5.2 multi firmware
Neil

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the safest thing for you to do is continue with the Chinese cameras loaded with English and serials "CCH".

There's no issues getting branded cameras from aliexpress. You can still get what you want 3mp / 4mp.

Have a search for some of alastairs responses he has I think I recalled a mixture with his N NVR.

For me I'm going the opposite paid a little more and got the NI NVR and hoping the Chinese serials with English will work, as well as obviously the International cameras.

Paying a little more was worth it for me to avoid the potential update hassles.

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I asked the AliExpress store "Secure Life Surveillance System" (which I understand to be the old CCTV store) whether they carried the DS-2CD2132F-IS and here is the reply:

"We still offer English version DS-2CD2132F-IS, but no Chinese version with multi-language menu.

Coz DS-2CD2132F-IS Chinese version has been discontinued, its replacement is DS-2CD2135F-IS.

Which version would you likepls?"

I have read that the DS-2CD2135F-IS is not a replacement for the DS-2CD2132F-IS! I understand that there are a number of issues with that model!

The replacement model is apparently the DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS, which is a 4MP camera.

2 questions:

1- do you think that the English version DS-2CD2132F-IS that they offer will work with my NVR?

2 - if I want to go with the 4mp model (DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS) will it work on my NVR?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
English version DS-2CD2132F-IS works with 7604N-E1/4P and 7608N-E2/8P
4MP DS-2CD2142FWD-I (not got the IWS sorry) works with them too

I can't see 7632N-E2/8P being any different. What firmware are you on?

Also DS-2CD2132F-IS hasn't been replaced with DS-2CD2135F-IS, don't buy from any seller who lies like this whether local or Chinese (but you have read that and are wise enough!).

I only have access to friends and family NVRs that I've helped buy and install so this is based off my personal experience. I don't have access to a 7632 sorry.

IMHO go with DS-2CD2142FWD-I (don't bother with W or S unless you plan to use it).

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For me I'm going the opposite paid a little more and got the NI NVR and hoping the Chinese serials with English will work, as well as obviously the International cameras.
May have been me advising you to do that though. If you are getting i) all new, ii) different suppliers and iii) English cameras, then fork out the extra for the NI. I still stand by that.

If you already have mixture of cameras than the N is just as good.

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply... My NVR is on firmware V3.0.8 build 140825

I am looking at the DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS because I want to try the alarm input/output feature and the W because I'm curious about the WiFi features. I'm a bit concerned as I continue to read about the camera when I see that it doesn't handle line crossing alarms! Do you know if this is true?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
V3.0.8 should be fine but you can't use H.264+ unless you update to V3.3.4 (I normally say don't touch the firmware unless there is a reason. This is a valid reason!)

Line crossing works fine, just that the sensitivity is different to the 3MP cameras. I'm not sure why people are having so much trouble, setting up cameras is always trial and error.

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I asked the AliExpress store the following

"My DS-7632N-E2/8P NVR's firmware is V3.0.8 build 140825 Would the DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS English version (4MP) work with my NVR?"

Here is the reply:

"The NVR DS-7632N-E2/8P is hacked from Chinese version, DS-2CD2132F-IS, DS-2CD2142FWS-IWS and DS-2CD2342WD-I can work with it, but the models with 4mp resolution cannot be 4MP, coz the nvr firmware version isn't high enough. Another options are DS-2CD2032F-I, DS-2CD2032F-IW, DS-2CD2232-I5 against Chinese version with multi-language menu."

As I understand it, my NVR will handle the 4MP cameras, but due to the firmware I cannot use the 4MP resolution! So... it appears to be a waste of money buying a 4MP camera! Does this make sense?

mayfer

n3wb
Reaction score
DelBoy, Did you upgrade a Chinese NVR from v3.0.8 to v3.3.4? From what I have seen, this will expose your true NVR language flag (language=2.) Do you have any compatibility issues with the new line of 4mp H.264+ cameras? I am guessing that the new H.264+ cameras have a language flag=1 which might conflict with an upgraded NVR with language=2. I need to order some new US sourced 4mp H.264+ cameras soon, but I am worried about a language mismatch on either the older Chinese 3mp cameras or any new 4mp cams. What have you done to get around this?

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If I had purchased a DS-7616NI-E2/8P NVR from an AliExpress store... are you saying that I would be able to upgrade the firmware because it isn't a hacked Chinese unit?

Would the firmware upgrades available on European or US sites work?

Would I also be able to purchase on AliExpress any cameras marked as "Multi-Language" and expect them to work with that NVR?

I'm just trying to understand...

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I asked the AliExpress store the following

"My DS-7632N-E2/8P NVR's firmware is V3.0.8 build 140825 Would the DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS English version (4MP) work with my NVR?"

Here is the reply:

"The NVR DS-7632N-E2/8P is hacked from Chinese version, DS-2CD2132F-IS, DS-2CD2142FWS-IWS and DS-2CD2342WD-I can work with it, but the models with 4mp resolution cannot be 4MP, coz the nvr firmware version isn't high enough. Another options are DS-2CD2032F-I, DS-2CD2032F-IW, DS-2CD2232-I5 against Chinese version with multi-language menu."

As I understand it, my NVR will handle the 4MP cameras, but due to the firmware I cannot use the 4MP resolution! So... it appears to be a waste of money buying a 4MP camera! Does this make sense?
The problem with Chinese sellers on Ali is they talk rubbish.

I'm fairly sure (not completely mind you) that what they mean is it won't work with xxx5, which is fine because you are interested in the decent xxx2 WD range and not the cheaper plastic 4MP (3.6MP) xxx5 Chinese H265 models.

Anyways, if it doesn't work, then upgrade it to V3.3.4. Simples. I'm 99% sure I had mine working on v3.0.8 before I updated it.

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am considering buying a second surveillance system (the first is on my vacation home) for my primary home.

For the vacation home, I bought the Hikvision DS-7632N-E2/8P NVR from a store on AliExpress and 2 IP cameras. I am now realizing (see previous posts) that my NVR is actually a Chinese version hacked so that I get the English menu system. It also appears that firmware upgrades are problematic, but perhaps not impossible. It also appears that the safest route for additional cameras is to buy on AliExpress again to ensure that I don't run into region mismatch issues. So I will probably go this route.

For my primary home I am considering getting the
DS-7616NI-E2/8P or the DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR. Given that I see the exact same model on AliExpress and B&H Photo does that mean that I could buy from AliExpress and get the same NVR? I am looking for a NVR that I can upgrade firmware without all the concerns about bricking or losing the English language menus. I realize that there are various threads providing means to do upgrades on the hacked NVR's but I want to avoid jumping through hoops if possible.

I know that the simple answer is to buy from a North American supplier but frankly when I see AliExpress selling the
DS-7608NI-E2/8P for $305 and B&H Photo selling it for $537 that is a significant difference!

On a similar line of thinking, assuming that I can buy a non-hacked NVR from AliExpress, how do I identify which cameras, on the AliExpress sites, allow for upgrading the firmware? I see cameras described as 'English Version" and others as "Multi-Language". Is there even a way to tell?

Can anyone lead me in the right direction on this?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Multi-Language usually means it's Chinese.

I would get another N, updating the firmware will be the same for both, so you learn one and you'll be able to do the other. N are Chinese, NI are English. Simples.

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up such an old thread but my question is on this. What is the downside if you buy Chinese version hacked to english NVR and cameras?
Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Quite simply - not being able to update firmware on either NVR or IPCs if a new, wanted feature becomes available, as the device will either revert to Chinese menus, or the camera will be rejected by the NVR with a 'language mismatch' error.