Mixing International and Chinese NVRs and Cameras

aloau

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I've googled around and but got a lot of mixed answers.

Questions
1. Can you use International HikVision NVR with Chinese HikVision cameras?
2. Can you use International HikVision NVR with Chinese Dahua cameras?
3. Can you use Chinese HikVision NVR with International HikVision cameras?
4. Can you use Chinese HikVision NVR with International Dahua cameras?

Thanks a lot guys! I've been looking into these questions but got mixed answers like "You can force ONVIF so under every circumstances that it works (tested)" and "No, all of these configurations won't work as it will come out as language mismatch even with dahua as dahua and hikvision are partner companies (tested)".

PS. great that I'm able to access the forums now, couldn't access it for a few hours this morning... thanks to those behind the scenes hard at work!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
To some extent the answers depend on the version of firmware.
But in reality it's been several years and quite a few versions back since the NVR firmware didn't care about camera language.

Can you use International HikVision NVR with Chinese HikVision cameras?
Assuming the Chinese cameras are not running 'hacked to English' firmware that makes them appear as EN -
No, not connecting as Hikvision, you would get a Language Mismatch error, even connecting as an ONVIF device.

Can you use International HikVision NVR with Chinese Dahua cameras?
Generally yes, connecting as an ONVIF device, or as an RTSP stream device.

Can you use Chinese HikVision NVR with International HikVision cameras?
Assuming the Chinese NVR is not running 'hacked to English' firmware that makes it appear as EN -
No, not connecting as Hikvision, you would get a Language Mismatch error, even connecting as an ONVIF device.

Can you use Chinese HikVision NVR with International Dahua cameras?
That's not a combination I've tried, I don't know the answer.

aloau

n3wb
Reaction score
To some extent the answers depend on the version of firmware.
But in reality it's been several years and quite a few versions back since the NVR firmware didn't care about camera language.

Assuming the Chinese cameras are not running 'hacked to English' firmware that makes them appear as EN -

Generally yes, connecting as an ONVIF device, or as an RTSP stream device.

Assuming the Chinese NVR is not running 'hacked to English' firmware that makes it appear as EN -

That's not a combination I've tried, I don't know the answer.
Thanks so so much alastairstevenson! This will help me a lot! if anyone knows the answer to the last combination, that would be great!