Mobile App What ports need to be open to the Internet?

bigbillsd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am demoing the mobile app but I won't consider opening port 81 to the internet. That's just too common of a port to consider that. Is there a way to change what port it uses on the server or at the client? Thanks, Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am demoing the mobile app but I won't consider opening port 81 to the internet. That's just too common of a port to consider that. Is there a way to change what port it uses on the server or at the client? Thanks, Bill
You can use any port you want, this is set in the webserver tab. However, if you think changing the port will provide any additional security you are wrong.
See the vpn primer for noobs thread to learn how to setup a secure vpn connection.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can use any port you want, this is set in the webserver tab. However, if you think changing the port will provide any additional security you are wrong.
Fenderman is 100% spot-on, as usual. Changing the port results in no security benefit.

However, fun fact: many years ago (before we installed our VPN) I ran Microsoft RDP remote access server on the standard default port 3389; there were hundreds of intrusion/logon attempts every day. I changed the server's RDP listening port to a Public Port (49152 to 65535) and the intrusion/logon attempts stopped. Stopped as in never had another one again.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
None... don’t open ports look up logmein vpn service

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have, or are willing to get a router that has VPN capabilities built in, that is a very easy way to get the benefits and security of operating through a VPN. Having that set up enables a lot of other nice features as well, such as being able to securely access the internet, from anywhere, even over unsecured WiFi systems (hotels, airports, etc.) through the encrypted tunnel to your home network, and then through your home internet connection.

Many of us are using Asus routers with these features built in, and it is easy to set up and completely free to use. I can surf the net, access my cameras, and even use printers on my home network from anywhere through the VPN from our phones or PCs at work, etc. I highly recommend this.

The Blue Iris UI3, using Chrome, from all of our gadgets, allows excellent and easy access to live viewing, clips, alerts, etc. It's great! And no ports need to be exposed. Highly recommended!

Edit to add: The VPN setup also lets the BI app work from outside of our LAN just great, too, and all without exposing any ports, etc.

Last edited:

bigbillsd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The last time I setup a VPN I had to open port 500, and it was constantly being hammered from IP's all over. I guess most folks are actually opening port 81 to the internet to use the mobile app? Thats kind of scary for the average joe. You'd think there would be a lot of disclaimers on the mobile app, but I saw nothing at all.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The last time I setup a VPN I had to open port 500, and it was constantly being hammered from IP's all over. I guess most folks are actually opening port 81 to the internet to use the mobile app? Thats kind of scary for the average joe. You'd think there would be a lot of disclaimers on the mobile app, but I saw nothing at all.
If they are they shouldn't be.
VPN Primer for Noobs
Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk