Monitor flickers with hdmi cable

Rodney Tindel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a 16 channel Dahua nvr with 12 cameras are all working great and I have a serial cable to my monitor to the nvr, barely any flicker. My brother has an 8 channel Dahua nvr with 5 cameras and they are all working great. However, his monitor is connected with a hdmi cable and has a noticeable flicker when viewing the cameras, more prominent in the edges of the picture. I have tried to switch mine to an hdmi cable and it makes it worse. I uploaded a video here and also through YouTube. Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long winded explanation. Thank you, Rodney.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
However, his monitor is connected with a hdmi cable and has a noticeable flicker when viewing the cameras, more prominent in the edges of the picture. I have tried to switch mine to an hdmi cable and it makes it worse.
Are you sure you're not just seeing the video update from the i-Frame interval?
It's normal to see the video 'pulse' on the i-Frame refresh, more so if the bitrate is set too low such that the changes in the frames between the i-Frames have low data content.
Drop the bitrate right down temporarily as an experiment.

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Briefly looking at your video via a not optimal recording from your mobile directed to a monitor, it looks as expected.
Without knowing the camera resolution or monitor resolution it's difficult to diagnose the issues. Perhaps an upscale issue as the monitor cannot display the higher resolution of the NVR/camera in an optimal way. Or Alister's diagnosis?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure your NVR settings match the resolution capabilities of the monitor in use.
But, yeah, it looks normal to me as it is.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a serial cable to my monitor to the nvr, barely any flicker.
I believe you mean a video cable (VGA or HDMI) and not Serial (RS232)?

However, his monitor is connected with a hdmi cable and has a noticeable flicker when viewing the cameras
Is there are flicker when only viewing the menu? If no, doubtful this is a resolution issue but check by changing the NVR output resolution & test - typ. is 1920x1080 (1080p).
Camera setting can sometimes cause the moire effect. As mentioned above check iframes, also check frequency setting (50hz, 60hz, etc).

I have tried to switch mine to an hdmi cable and it makes it worse.
This sounds like a resolution issue.

Rodney Tindel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m sorry I haven’t responded, it’s been a busy week. I’m thinking it’s a resolution issue as well. I’ve included a couple more pictures. The truck is about 25 feet away from one of the cameras and the tag is unreadable. The other picture is my settings for one of my cameras. I have never changed anything from factory. As always thanks so much for the help.

Attachments