Monoprice cable recall

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with toxic fumes. It is NOT being recalled for fumes.
Test for Flame Propagation Height of Electrical and Optical-Fiber Cables Installed Vertically in Shafts
UL 1666

1 Scope
1.1 This is a fire test for determining values of flame propagation height for electrical and optical-fiber cables that are for installation vertically in shafts or in vertical runs that penetrate one or more floors.

1.1 revised June 27, 2012
1.2 The purpose of this test is to determine whether the flame propagation characteristics of these "riser" cables are in accordance with the National Electrical Code.

1.3 This test does not investigate the toxicity or corrosivity of the products of combustion or decomposition.

1.4 This test does not cover the construction requirements for any cable or the electrical, optical, and other performance requirements for any cable.

----------
ah, not toxicity of fumes but of flame propagation. I guess this is why we have NEC codes :) Though I personally do not see a critical 'do not buy this stuff for my house' issue, I'll be that one person who has a house fire that gets to the 2nd floor super fast and then wanting to get back on this site and delete my "who cares" posts while my PC is on flames :) I respect the NEC codes for much of everything because I have little/no experience of things going tragically wrong, and I assume the NEC board does have that experience and then to issue out the codes.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I read the recall FAQ more thoroughly and came up with a couple of ambiguities.

1. While waiting for the cable to be inspected or replaced it says: Immediately discontinue use of the cable.
To somebody who already has this cable installed, this would mean to stop sending data on the wire, like that has anything to do with its fire risk.

2. The FAQ says: There is no ignition or fire propagation risk. It is only the increased risk of fire spread.
But the test it fails is specifically for propagation! And for a bonus question, can somebody explain to me what the difference between fire spread and fire propagation is?

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dictionary:
Propagation
Spread and Promote widely. (Fire o_O )

Spread
The fact or process of spreading over an area.(Fire o_O )

Look the same to me.... :smoking: Now I am ready to Look at them again.

Still the Same. One more time.......:smoking: looking again....Um what aaaa....Where are the chips.

Last edited:

Lostmutt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything from Monoprice directly? Emailed this morning and now waiting for some word on how to proceed.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is the same recall listed before in another thread and this one.....Nothing New.

still the UL 1666 voluntary safety standard Issue

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
That is the same recall listed before in another thread and this one.....Nothing New.
The point was that the lawyers are "fishing" for lawsuits against monoprice. My questions to monoprice are not responded to after 4 days. Not even an acknowledgement of receipt. I'm beginning to wonder how serious this really is. One hand says urgent ("discontinue use") while the other hand isn't acting like it's very important.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ah I missed that header of the "LAW Firm"..Mybad.

Yup my Original thoughts were OUT of Business before the replacement Spool can get back to you.. Post #84

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have one run long that's fairly easy to replace. I'm thinking of just buying a new 250' spool and doing it, then filing for replacement of uninstalled cable. One of my unanswered questions is if they'd send the replacement cable first to facilitate using the old cable to pull the new cable. Another question is if they will even allow self-replacement, or if their contractor is required to do it.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 1000 feet of gray Cat6 that I believe falls under the recall. Data on the cable matches the recall info.

I received the following email from Monoprice;

Thank you for your quick response. I apologize for the confusion, however, the only item qualified for recall under the length of 1000ft is the following product (PID):

PID 8102 - Black

PID 8103 - Blue

PID 8105 - Green

PID 8108 - White

PID 8597 - Purple

The item you have is under PID 8104 - 1000ft, Gray, be informed that only CMR cables affected by the recall are Monoprice Category 6 CMR Communications Cables.

Anyone have a similar experience? Not sure what difference the color of the jacket makes. Really hoping this is correct and I can just use the stuff.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
At least you got a response from them :). The recall notice they emailed and the FAQ page most definitely say that gray is included. The faq page is at Monoprice CMR Recall . Their email respose says "the only item qualified for recall under the length of 1000ft ", but yours is 1,000 feet so the exclusion they're explaining wouldn't seem to apply. Also, the link to the FAQ has been removed from their web page. This all just leaves me even more confused than I already was.

pweav

n3wb
Reaction score
I had a few minutes so I decided to test it myself. I installed about 1000 feet of this last year, so I was worried when I saw this post, as a lot of it is in some difficult to run places behind drywall, on exterior walls, etc.

I could not get it lit with a standard lighter. It took a MAPP gas torch to get it to light, and when the flame was removed it immediately smoldered out. It melted the insulation but never caught fire.

I have the E467139, purchased from Amazon around Aug 2019.

View attachment 70646

Without further ado....my flame test

Here is what it looked like afterwards

View attachment 70647

I'm not worried. If I have a flame worse than this in my walls, I've got bigger problems.
Thank you so much for this Jessie! I just installed about 2k feet of this in our new home before the drywall went up and was freaking out a bit when I saw the recall sent by Amazon. I did this myself after tons of research on standardization and best practices, so safe to say it was quite a bit of work. Some I ordered directly from monoprice, but the last roll of 500ft through Amazon due to delivery speed. After a year of cables hanging from the wall, I can rest easy as I finally terminate to the patch pannel and get my home network up and running. Thanks again for your testing and sharing.

pweav

n3wb
Reaction score
I never got an email. I wonder if it's only if you buy from them direct. I bought mine from Amazon.
I got x1 250ft roll from Amazon as well and x3 from monoprice directly. Amazon is the one who actually sent me the email on the recall; received nothing from monoprice.

Screenshot_20201007-233621_Gmail.jpg

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Back to my Original Thought.... They are going to try to get out of most of the recalls and if they can not I bet they jack you around hope'n you give up.
then if all else fails...Chap 11.
My orange 1K feet they did not even send me a notice...Hell, when I look up my Purchase history it does not even show up now.
But it is on the side ads where it ask if you want to buy it again.

Posted on the Site

If the cables do not bear one of the above cable jacket markings, they are not part of the voluntary recall.
Likewise, if the cables, as installed, are less than 50 ft. in length, enter the building from the outside and terminate in an enclosure or listed primary protector, and are not installed inside risers, ducts, plenums and other space used for environmental air,"" removal is not required.""

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I received a non-answer to all of my questions today. Smells to me like lawyers are involved. The non-answer was to read the recall notice and faq which was attached to the response, which are the documents that generated the questions in the first place. Besides asking for more detail about the less than 50 foot entering from the outside statement, the other questions were:

2. If the cable is installed, is it OK for the purchaser to replace it
instead of you having it replaced?

3. If the answer to #2 is yes, could you ship the replacement cable
ahead of time because in some situations the old cable can be used to
pull the new cable?

4. About the statement "removal and installation of the replacement
cable will be completed at no cost to you", would this include, if
necessary, removal, replacement, and refinishing of wall and floor
material to return it to its pre-replacement condition?

5. What's different if the installed cable is more or less that 50 feet
in length?

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Please let us know if you get a positive response. My guess is you won't.

They seem to ignore you unless you're VERY persistent. Not sure a $100 spool of cable is worth the trouble. I think that's their plan. They hope you'll give up and go away. I was promised a call back twice. Neither came.

I'll definitely look elsewhere next time I buy.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
So has anyone actually dealt with the replacement process with Monoprice yet?