Monoprice cable recall

kewlbass

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm confused by the verbiage as well.

It seems the issue is that the jacket is flammable to a point where, once ignited, it can spread fire along its length. So...

1. Why would the length matter? Two feet of cable passing through a wall would be enough to spread it to the next room. Length might come into play if resistance was an issue. In that case though, the cable would burst into flames, not just spread fire.
2. Why would entering from outside or where it terminates matter? I would think any point along the cable could catch fire.
3. Not sure what "risers, ducts, plenums and other space used for environmental air" has to do with it. Does it need lots of air to stoke the flames?

Also, why do these conditions only apply to a residence? Fewer people to kill?

It seems like they deliberately made this confusing. I'd love some real information on what exactly the danger is here.

Reaction score
In that case though, the cable would burst into flames, not just spread fire.
I doubt it is going to "burst into flames".

Look, if you are that worried about it, cut a 5 foot section off, bring it outside to your driveway (concrete) and have a bucket of water handy. Get a lighter or a propane torch and light one end. Film it and post it for all to see.

This is not going to act like a black powder fuse that you see on TV.

"What kind of fuse is that?" "Cannon fuse." "What do you use it for?" "My cannon."

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I doubt it is going to "burst into flames".

Look, if you are that worried about it, cut a 5 foot section off, bring it outside to your driveway (concrete) and have a bucket of water handy. Get a lighter or a propane torch and light one end. Film it and post it for all to see.

This is not going to act like a black powder fuse that you see on TV.

"What kind of fuse is that?" "Cannon fuse." "What do you use it for?" "My cannon."
I had a few minutes so I decided to test it myself. I installed about 1000 feet of this last year, so I was worried when I saw this post, as a lot of it is in some difficult to run places behind drywall, on exterior walls, etc.

I could not get it lit with a standard lighter. It took a MAPP gas torch to get it to light, and when the flame was removed it immediately smoldered out. It melted the insulation but never caught fire.

I have the E467139, purchased from Amazon around Aug 2019.

20200915_193007.jpg

Without further ado....my flame test

Here is what it looked like afterwards

20200915_195444.jpg

I'm not worried. If I have a flame worse than this in my walls, I've got bigger problems.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
3. Not sure what "risers, ducts, plenums and other space used for environmental air" has to do with it. Does it need lots of air to stoke the flames?

Also, why do these conditions only apply to a residence? Fewer people to kill?
As far as I can tell, the network cable is governed by NEC 725.179. It does have different requirements for residences, multi-family housing, and other. The stated fire resistance purpose of class 2 cable, which includes CMR, is to prevent the propagation of fire from one floor to another. This begs the question from me if any standards approval is required if the cable run is all on a single floor. Just asking, not meaning to imply an answer. NEC further states that a way to satisfy the fire propagation requirement is that the class 2 cable conforms to UL 1666-2012. I do not have access to the UL spec, and UL wants $245 to purchase it. It would be nice if somebody here has access to the UL 1666 spec to see if it could provide any more relevant info for us.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a few minutes so I decided to test it myself. I installed about 1000 feet of this last year, so I was worried when I saw this post, as a lot of it is in some difficult to run places behind drywall, on exterior walls, etc.

I could not get it lit with a standard lighter. It took a MAPP gas torch to get it to light, and when the flame was removed it immediately smoldered out. It melted the insulation but never caught fire.

View attachment 70646

View attachment 70647

I'm not worried. If I have a flame worse than this in my walls, I've got bigger problems.
Looks like its doing what its suppose to do.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for this. How do I suggest doing it a different way without sounding ungrateful, which I'm not. Since the certification is to see that the cable doesn't propagate fire between floors, I think the test has to be done while it's hanging vertical. I should try this myself. Based on what you saw, I'll just start with the MAPP torch.

Reaction score

Thank you for this. Good job.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
But, but, that test wasn't a double blind study complete with placebos!

Seriously, I don't think that cable would support combustion, but also wonder if the entire "run", from Monoprice, is the same. Probably is, but if you've installed some it would be worth conducting a test or two on some scrap just to be safe.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks for this. How do I suggest doing it a different way without sounding ungrateful, which I'm not. Since the certification is to see that the cable doesn't propagate fire between floors, I think the test has to be done while it's hanging vertical. I should try this myself. Based on what you saw, I'll just start with the MAPP torch.
No worries. Here it is hanging vertically, lit from the bottom end

And hanging vertically, lit from the center

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
But seriously, Monoprice had 2x 250ft spools for $35 with free shipping not too long ago (500ft for $35). Insane pricing, but at the same time, wait...I'll say it again, very suspicious. Feels like someone at Monoprice had intel in this way before the recall was issued.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Kids, now that's how you light up a Cigar :rofl:

View attachment 70646

View attachment 70647

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I tried to buy another roll a couple months ago, but they were sold out of the blue. Maybe it was them pulling their stock in anticipation of this.